Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bricknell hardness testing for after an EMP any suggestions?

Boolit Mold

bricknell hardness testing for after an EMP any suggestions?

First Time posting. Let me know .

Bricknell????????? In relation to EMP???????????? Not a very auspicious beginning but welcome aboard; it is Labor Day and we will work through it.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Welcome. A little further fleshing out of your question will help with a correct answer.

Boolit Master
    I was wondering what might come up by checking what EMP meant. Electro Magnetic Pulse.
    I would think that after one of these events lead hardness would be the least of ones concerns.
    Is this Labor Day or April Fools?

Sorry, you probably had a serious question, but we keep telling folks this is not rocket science.

Boolit Grand Master

Someone's tin foil hat I wrapped to tight. Or their auto correct changed words to some really odd things.

Boolit Buddy

Well there is a Bricknell Brewery. I suggest using a chilled stein for testing. It's IPA not EMP.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are talking C scale and firearms I doubt it will be a problem, unless you own a Remington ElectronX(think that was the name?) rifle.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    Sorry about first question. Let me clarify. Is there a hardness testing device that has no electronics ( that can be fried during an E.M.P.) I am trying to assemble everything for reloading in a prepper ie: no electrical environment

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ritzblanco View Post
    Sorry about first question. Let me clarify. Is there a hardness testing device that has no electronics ( that can be fried during an E.M.P.) I am trying to assemble everything for reloading in a prepper ie: no electrical environment
    All I've seen have no electronics?
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

ritz,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I use the Lee Hardness tester...an EMP shouldn't effect it.
    http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...rdness-tester/
    there are other testers that will fit your needs as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzblanco View Post
    I don't think any of them use electricity. Try this one ; http://cowboybullets.com/Lead-Tester_p_57.html

Boolit Master
    3 lb sledge and an anvil. Do some of various known hardness now to compare. Not exact, but should do it.

Boolit Mold
    I once read somewhere about using pencils or something? Anyone heard of that?

Moderator Emeritus

there is a stickied thread in this forum...just scroll up.

or here is a link
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ritz - all Brinell hardness testers operate using manual force ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinell_scale
    Regards
    John

A bullet that measures on the bricknell scale might be too hard to shoot.
    They'd be hard as a brick. Lol!

Seriously though knowing the hardness ain't as important as some beleive. Wheel weights will work for the vast majority of everything.
    WTSHTF, I doubt you'll be putting the same love and care you would today.
    I also highly doubt you're going to have a lot of time to reload anyway. Your day will be spent securing your next meal and clean water.

I thought about putting together a kit myself but decided against it. I opted instead to put in the work now while life is good. The best way to store bullets powder & primers for bad days is for each bullet and primer be stored with a premeasured amount of powder in a nice little brass tube.

Put in the work now, load more ammo than you can use in a lifetime and don't put your eggs in one basket.
    Store some here there and everywhere. Keep some at trusted freinds house.
    Mom & dads. Everywhere.

Use quality steel ammo cans with dessicate packs.
    When sealing an ammo can I do NOT intend to open, I like fold up a piece of aluminum foil and strike a wooden match on it, then slowly and carefully close the lid without killing the flame. The match will consume all the oxygen and oxygen is your enemy for long term storage.

Good luck buddy!
    Last edited by NoAngel; 09-04-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

In the situation you are researching, anything meltable will be used. You won't care how hard it is, if it puts food on the table and keeps looters at bay. it's a keeper.

Boolit Master

The LEE BHN (Brinnel Hardness Tester) is a good to go item for testing hardness. You might consider as part of your preparedness how you will cast your boolits should you encounter and absence of the good old electron heat element. Our forefathers were casting lead over a fire for several centuries before the use of electricity; but going backwards in tech always presents some challenges as low tech knowledge has been lost and the simple tools of the time are more difficult to locate.

In addition to the Lee BHN Tester, I would recommend:

A Lyman 10 pound Lyman Reloading Cast Iron Lead Pot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DWFCDC...l_70zz9fhtb9_b

Plus, a Lyman Lead Ladle:

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting...man+lead+ladle

These items with a mold of appropriate configuration for each of your firearms will see you able to cast in a zero electricity state. Welcome to the site and enjoy the excitement, diversion, and yes challenges of making boolits.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

The pencil trick gets you dang close! Of course you can id all your alloy beforehand in your stash via XRF testing then write down the formula for the alloy according to how hard of a bullet you want. Personally I blend for Lyman #2 and call it good! It has worked fine in 9mm, 45acp, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, .223 that I have tested. Stick with a known mix and adjust the powder load to compensate for best accuracy(which is NEVER maximum load). If it can drop a deer it can drop a 2 legged varmint...

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the input. Like I said I am new to this aspect of the shooting sports, and will be browsing this site for info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast