Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsADvertise hereStainLess Steel Media

Thread: VS: Automation Control Panel for a Master Caster

Super Moderator

VS: Automation Control Panel for a Master Caster

I am offering up a control panel that will assist you in automating your Magma Master Caster.

This unit has a touch screen that allows you to control every timer.

What you can control

How long before lead is poured when the mold is under the pot (this option can be turned off so it pours right away)
    The amount of lead poured
    How long it sits under the pot for the sprue to harden.
    How long it sits at the bottom of the stroke after the boolits are dropped
    Turn the fan on/off via touchscreen ($10 OPTION on 120v models)

Features

You can turn on "DOUBLE TAP" which increases the amount of taps at the bottom of the stroke in case your doing HP boolits or have molds that don't release easy.
    Double tap is adjustable from 1 to 99 taps

You can turn on "MANUAL MODE" which allows the automation of lead pour but the manual operation of all the other features.

It has a Counter and a RUN LIMITER based on count.

Here is a video of one in operation - keep in mind that this unit has the optional PID controller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpklei7q3c8

Here is a basic overview video of all the features
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83COHoXbhsM

The enclosures I use are used enclosures but are in decent shape.
    All of the other components are brand new.

In addition to this panel you would need the following

2 air cylinders
    Make the rear cylinder bracket
    Drill 2 holes in frame of MC for above bracket.
    Drill and tap the lead pour bracket at the top of the pot for the lead pour cylinder assembly.
    Mount the limit switch.
    Check here -> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...tion&p=4207972
    If you have questions ask them there.

Now the money side of things.

The base model is $800
    Base model with PID (includes thermocouple) $900
    Fan option (120v models ONLY) $10 - this is the cost of the SSR and the outlet cable

Air valves x 3 = $90 - I sell these at cost. You don't have to purchase them from me. I do swap one valve around to make it a NC valve.
    Rear Mounting bracket with hardware - $40
    Lead Pour plate, spacers and bolts - $20

$250 - AUTOMATION SMALL PARTS KIT - basically everything needed to complete the modification to full automation

The kit contains the following

Air valves x 3 with the pneumatic fittings ( 2 branch Ts, 1 90 and 4 straight)
    5 inch Air Cylinder with the pneumatic fittings (90 and straight)
    1/2 inch Air Clinder with pneumatic Fitting (90)
    10 feet Tubing
    Rear bracket with hardware
    Lead pour plate (1/8 inch drilled)
    Spacers - already cut to length x 2
    3 inch Bolts - x 2
    5/16x24 tap kit (comes with drill bit)
    Forged Clevis for movement
    Standard clevis for lead pour
    Alum replacement lead pour arm - you can use as a template to drill yours or use as a replacement.

The kit price is COST plus $25 to be honest.
    This is me buying all the parts in BULK and then making up a "kit"
    It is still way cheaper by almost $100 then buying the parts from McMaster

SHIPPING - I ship USPS priority. Depending on where you are it can be $45 to $55 to ship the panel.
    I do ship internationally provided you pay the cost of it.
    I have shipped panels to Australia and the Philippines. Belguim is coming soon.
    Please understand that I can only ship on Friday and Saturday.
    Please also understand that I offer this more as a service then as a product.
    I work full time, have 2 kids and have very little time.

Please keep in mind that the touchscreen and PLC alone are over $200

Build time - About a month if there is no one already on the list.

FOR THOSE WITH THE PID OPTION PLEASE LOOK HERE -> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...atch-s-PID-FAQ
    Last edited by HATCH; 01-20-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Super Moderator

VS: Automation Control Panel for a Master Caster

Currently wait time is 6 weeks
    Last edited by HATCH; 06-30-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    For those who have a MasterCaster, it may seem expensive but once installed your master caster will be a bullet making machine. Honestly, if I polish my mold cavities beforehand, it runs flawlessly as they drop effortlessly. You'll appreciate the convenience. I paid a little less several years ago and it's not nearly as advanced as what he's offering now. I'm pretty sure Hatch will provide a revision to the software for you as well. All that being said, I feel fortunate to own one, just feels very customized.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chloe123 View Post
    . I paid a little less several years ago and it's not nearly as advanced as what he's offering now. .
    Thanks.

The major cost increase is the touchscreen. It adds over $200 to the price but it also adds so much more convenience compared to the original setup.

I still know of 10 original design (non-touchscreen) running. Thats been 4 or 5 years now and 100's of K of boolits cast.

I got a text on my phone last week from a friend that uses his MC to cast cores. He cast 10K cores on a saturday and he said that MC didn't miss a beat!

Having an automation for Master Caster is like having all of a sudden Jerry Miculek skills when shooting at the range. Is true, one can live without an automation but having it changes completely everything.

Super Moderator

Bump - for reference I warranty these units against failure for 6 months and offer UNLIMITED lifetime support.

Boolit Master
    I have one of his 120 volt pid units. A very tidy piece of work. I am eagerly awaiting that PM from hatch that my automation unit for my master caster is ready to ship. Keep up the good work.

Boolit Master
    I'm in for a control panel and 3 air valves.

PM incoming.

Boolit Master
    Hatch, got my unit in today. It was well packed against the gorilla package handlers. The outside of panel is neatly laid out. The knock your socks off wow factor comes when you open the panel and peek inside. People, this gent has his act together. Components are neatly placed and wired. Wires are labeled as to what they hook up to making hook up pretty straight forward. I will try to start the conversion after the holiday. Thanks a heap MR. Hatch. Hope you and yours have a pleasant holiday.

Super Moderator

Thanks, well I built electrical panels for 15 years so I got a little experience.
    I try to label the terminal block so it's easier for the end user (i.e. You) to trouble shoot.
    Have you made your rear bracket yet?

Boolit Master
    Not yet. Been occupied with honey do projects. Hope to get back on this next week. Need to do a little clean up around the lathe and Milling machine. Like to use the mill to drill & tap. Holes are neatly aligned for threads. Will mill needed parts from 6061 bar stock. Want my installation to be deserving of your fine work. Will give you a shout if I have a question.

Super Moderator

The brackets I make are 4.5 inches wide with the hole for the air cylinder being 2.5 inches from one end.
    I then use washers to make adjustments to get everything aligned up.
    Since you have a Mill, I would start out making it around 5 inches wide. The mill just enough so it fits. Then the center hole for air cylinder should be 2.75 from one end.
    You need to double check this measurement as it appears they have tolerance issues on assemble as the 2 machines I have played with weren't the same.
    Also, use a shoulder bolt to hold the bracket to the frame. Just mill it down to length. This way the smooth shoulder rides in the frame instead of the threads.

Boolit Master
    My unit showed up yesterday and I got to test it out. Shipping was quick and the packaging was great. They must have tossed the box around as the PLC wasn't snapped on the rail, but it clicked right in with a push. The wiring looks great and the parts were well labeled. I look forward to finishing my machine and casting some boolits with the Hatch Automation system. Oh yeah, the custom build bit with my name included on the main screen is a nice touch as well.

Thanks Hatch!

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a Hatch made MC automation set up this past December. It's been one of the best labor saving devices I've ever bought. Allows me to do other things while the Master Caster makes bullets ALL DAY LONG! I just keep an eye on it in order to free up the occasional bullet that doesn't fall out and keep it full of lead. Fair warning: This thing can eat some lead when it's just running along happily spitting out bullets. Love my automated Master Caster. Thanks Hatch!

Super Moderator

BUMP - have a 120v unit with fan control ready to ship.
    I can add the PID option

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Bump to top
    The Master Caster automation set up that Hatch builds and sells is the best VALUE in automated machinery I've ever run across!
    My TRUE production rate on 148 grain .357 bullets is around 600 per hour. In a six hour period I'm making about 3300 to 3700 bullets. This includes occasional stops to lube the mold top and sprue plate and the once an hour or so jam clearing. The "jams" are usually caused by bullets bouncing into the way of the mold closing. Easy and fast to clear.
    I sure wish I could automate bullet sizing and ammo loading at these prices!

Super Moderator

Bump to the top

Super Moderator