Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: pristine trap door value

Boolit Master

pristine trap door value

I need some experts opinion on the value of what could be an unfired, original trap door springfield. It isn't my gun and I don't have pictures. The rifle is in unbelievable original condition, for a gun this old, a museum piece, so what would the value be?

Boolit Grand Master

Would at least need the model type. Rifle, carbine or OM. A common type rifle could be $1,500 to $2,000. An OM could be well above $100,000.

http://trapdoorcollector.com/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-03-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Try over on the CMP forums... It's older than what most of the talk is about but I'm fairly sure that you'll get some knowledgeable input.

That kind of weapon would require a professional appraisal, by someone who knows what he's doing. You will not find the value by posting a casual question on an internet forum.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    That kind of weapon would require a professional appraisal, by someone who knows what he's doing. You will not find the value by posting a casual question on an internet forum.
    That would on the link I posted above.

http://trapdoorcollector.com/classified.html
    Al Frasca
    937-399-5002 (office),
    419-746-2242 (away)
    or 937-408-0147(cell)
    email afrasca@erinet.com

Hope nobody would toss out an evaluation without good pictures. I've seen numerous cases of guns being evaluated without pictures, and then when pictures are posted they show either a beautifully restored gun, or a nice gun with parts replaced, or numerous other possibilities.
    Not saying that's the case here, but I wont toss out a guess without seeing the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

A gun that age in that condition is very unlikely but would be pretty special if it is as described. Only problem is they're usually not what they seem to be.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    I need some experts opinion on the value of what could be an unfired, original trap door springfield. It isn't my gun and I don't have pictures. The rifle is in unbelievable original condition, for a gun this old, a museum piece, so what would the value be?
    Pristine condition is rather subjective. Unfired? maybe, maybe not.

Boolit Grand Master

I would want custody records from the time it was made, if it is claimed to be 'unfired'. That has to be proved.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Unfired is of course pie in the sky, as no way to tell if it's had a few rounds down the barrel, but still looks "unfired". But I doubt there's much difference in the price between like new condition, and like new unfired. Nobody alive to ever tell you either way.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    You wouldn't have a picture of this Trapdoor?????? Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A fair price for an 1873 or 1884 Springfield trapdoor, 45-70 rifle military issue, normally no engraving, with a clear ESA (ES Allison) cartuche have these values:
    1873 - 100% = $2500
    1874 - 100% = $2250
    Other models including a serial number Custer Springfield Carbine- 1873, in 100% would be over $12,000. Accordingly the rifle should be appraised to determine the model and if it is truly an unfired rifle. An indication is zero marks on the trapdoor bolt or on the extractor with a visual bore scope examination of the chamber and bore
    Then again, one gets into the 'arms length transaction' value. I have an 1873 rifle model in NRA 95% antique condition with a light ESA cartouche that I paid $700 for it
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-10-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    A fair price for an 1873 or 1884 Springfield trapdoor, 45-70 rifle military issue, normally no engraving, with a clear ESA (ES Allison) cartuche have these values:
    1873 - 100% = $2500
    1874 - 100% = $2250
    Other models including a serial number Custer Springfield Carbine- 1873, in 100% would be over $12,000. Accordingly the rifle should be appraised to determine the model and if it is truly an unfired rifle. An indication is zero marks on the trapdoor bolt or on the extractor with a visual bore scope examination of the chamber and bore
    Then again, one gets into the 'arms length transaction' value. I have an 1873 rifle model in NRA 95% antique condition with a light ESA cartouche that I paid $700 for it
    That sounds fair for the trap door ! Mine I traded a 1911A Colt even Up!!!!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Mold
    To clarify info on the cartouche, "ESA" stands for Erskine S. Allin who was the Springfield Armory Master Armourer at the time.

Boolit Grand Master

The past 4 years of gunshows I have watched a true 95% plus 1888 not sell. Asking price was $1,800.00

Book price is higher but it was not selling. Haven't seen that vendor in about a year so I don't know if he still has it.

Banned
    +1 on M-Tecs info book prices and real prices are not even close on most guns I look at book price as high retail