Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to Maine!

I'm going to Maine!

Ladies and gentlemen I'm a young non commissioned officer in the U.S. Army. I recently came down on orders to be a recruiter for Uncle Sam and got assigned to a Armed forces career center completely opposite of home (I'm from California) But as the title says I'm going to the twin cities of Auburn/Lewiston area in the state of Maine. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the state has to offer I'm huge into fishing/hunting. Never been there but it looks beautiful in pictures. Any Mainer's on this forum?
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Buddy
    I lived in Kittery for two years while my submarine was in overhaul. I never had too much time off but I thoroughly enjoyed living there. I remember that the lobsters and steamers seamed dirt cheap. I found the winters to be a trifle cold.

I spent a great deal of time in Kennebunkport on business a number of years ago...it's a great area and a great little harbor and I think you can probably jump a party boat out of there if I recall...if you have your Wife with you there is a wonderful B and B (now..it was a private residnece when I was there) called the Maine Stay Inn in Kennebunk...If you go there take a walk around the "widows walk" on top...lots of national registry homes in that area.

https://youtu.be/T4cg2tH_h2g
    Last edited by opos; 09-06-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Enjoy Maine. Vacationed there three years. Great state. Cabelas an LL Bean. Lobster rolls the best.

Boolit Master

See next summer for lobster Fest.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

If I remember right Auburn/Lewiston is more central than down East. The coast of Maine is down East - south of the rest of the state. You will be competing with a couple of colleges - Auburn being one. As you will be there for a couple years get ready for cold weather (ever do winter mountian climbing in California?) and lots of snow. Also invest in bug spray - you will need it spring to first freeze. Figure Bear/Moose hunting opportunities that can be developed. I was last in the area 20+ years ago but imagine the Kittery Trading Post second floor is still the place to shop.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

So good to be young new opportunities on the way. I believe you'll love the outdoor fun aspects of the state. Enjoy it all, even the many feet of snow. Thank you for your service! Gp

Boolit Master

Lewiston/Auburn the only place they found close to Mogadishu for the Somalia refugee's during the Clinton era.

The first place I ever saw Bedbug spray advertised on a hardware stores outside sign.

Not dissing ME as wife and my family's are from ME but the ones living in Lewiston were trash of the highest order.

To the east you will find great places and the most beautiful coastline ever.

Snow amounts not bad that far south in ME.

Boolit Grand Master

Been there a bunch. Geezer is right and pay attention to that. On the upside there is a lot of Maine and it is a great place. There are still places out in the sticks that are right out of 1920 if you find them. I hauled much lumber, peat moss and potatoes out of there. Always liked Maine and I regularly check WalMart's website to see if their DC in Lewiston Auburn is hiring. I would love to get back up that direction.

Make sure you hunt black bear while there.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Well good place or not I have no other choice but to go lol. I'm definitely going to see if I can catch some fresh lobster myself

380Auto,

You Sir, are in luck! It is a great state...I was born and brought up here and moved here after I retired early. We have the largest bear population in the lower 48 states. You really need a guide to hunt them over baited stands or with hounds. Catching your own lobster is not allowed as you have to be licensed and if a lobsterman catches you...well lets say they guard it very very well. However on the plus side of lobster there really is no need to catch them yourself as they are generally pretty plentiful and not very expensive. Current smack price is about $5.99 per pound the local grocery stress will cook them for you while you shop for about a buck. McDonald's also sells lobster rolls which are pretty good for $8.99 each. They usually stop doing that in the winter. You will be about 20 miles from me. Please contact me and I would be very happy to get you acclimated as to local laws customs and gun ranges. If you PM me, I will give you contact info. Winters are not that bad...yes it is cold and we get about 80 to 90 inches of snow a season, but they start on it as soon as the first flake is seen and don't stop until it is over, so really not that big of a deal. As we say here...we have nine months of winter and three months of rather rough sledding. Serious...would love to help!

Bill

Banned

I think with your MOS your gonna like the place unless you got a quota to meet.

Banned

I successfully avoided recruiting like the plague. Good luck in it.

My sum total of experience in Maine was it was the first place in CONUS we landed when I came back from Desert Storm. Not getting off the plane wasn't an option, they must have had every high school band and half the population f the state there. Great, patriotic folks, it was quite moving. We were one of the first units back, March 18th 1191, so that hadn't had a lot of time to prepare for that. I bet future units got treated even better.

Boolit Buddy

Maine relocation

A must see is the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine. 1st exit off I 95 as you enter south Me. All sorts of sportsman supplies, archery,all guns and reloading supplies,camping, kayak, canoe, back pack, camping etc....... Mardens is a close out chain with lots of stores all over Me. Each store has different stuff....nuts, bolt , screws, tools,clothing and great prices...stop at several to learn how to shop. Best of luck on your assignment. afish4570

Boolit Master

Just up 95 a bit is James D Julia and Poulin Auction Houses you want to go to one of the auctions to preview you will see history and the best firearms around.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are into Craft Beer, Maine has some great Breweries! Thank You for your service. I hope you enjoy this assignment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    Well good place or not I have no other choice but to go lol. I'm definitely going to see if I can catch some fresh lobster myself
    Nope, as stated you can't do that. Besides, lobster is a cold water creature up north. You probably are thinking of diving for warm water lobster. Unless you really like cold water, forget it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Climb Mount Katahdin and fish Moosehead Lake.

Lived in Belgrade Lakes on Great Pond many years ago. Great place!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Thank you everyone for all the responses, I'll share my experiences along the way. And I'll also try to visit your recommendations as far as places to go

Boolit Master
    I've traveled some there over the last 8 years, now have several friends there. Great place to be if you're into the outdoors, just about everything can be done there. All seasons, no worries about crowding unless near the coast summertime. A half hour from most metro areas and you could probably get lost without trying hard.

It's the kind of place when you ask a local a question they'll stop and give you not just an answer, but where to stop, better directions and in general go out of their way. Great bunch of folks there.

You should enjoy it much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast