Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to Maine!

Boolit Master

I grew up about an hour further north of Lewiston ME. You are going to a great state but outside of a few towns and cities, you are going to be dealing with a rural population. Be prepared for plenty of road miles talking to recruit families even if you get assigned to a "urban" high school. Case in point, my High school in Dover-Foxcroft ME, actually drew kids from 4 towns and 3 villages and probably a bunch of unincorporated regions as well...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Good luck to you. Hope your cold weather gear is in order!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    I spent a great deal of time in Kennebunkport on business a number of years ago...it's a great area and a great little harbor and I think you can probably jump a party boat out of there if I recall...if you have your Wife with you there is a wonderful B and B (now..it was a private residnece when I was there) called the Maine Stay Inn in Kennebunk...If you go there take a walk around the "widows walk" on top...lots of national registry homes in that area.
    I have family in Kennebunk... Popular family. What was your business, if you don't mind me asking?
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If I remember right Auburn/Lewiston is more central than down East. The coast of Maine is down East - south of the rest of the state. You will be competing with a couple of colleges - Auburn being one. As you will be there for a couple years get ready for cold weather (ever do winter mountian climbing in California?) and lots of snow. Also invest in bug spray - you will need it spring to first freeze. Figure Bear/Moose hunting opportunities that can be developed. I was last in the area 20+ years ago but imagine the Kittery Trading Post second floor is still the place to shop.
    Used to be Wayne. Yeah they have plenty of stuff but no deals to be found. I'm a half hour away from them. I used to go almost weekly to find goodies. Now I go maybe three times a year and that's just so that I can go to Bob's Clam Hut next door.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Bob's used to be good now overpriced and skimpy to me. Even Newik's is better. Better yet Cornish NH on rte. 25 Bay haven lobster.

Whatever keep out of the Weathervane across the street from KTP

Boolit Master

Oh how I wish Bay Haven was in Cornish, NH. I know it was just a slip of the finger - It is in Cornish, ME. Just down the road a piece from Freedom, NH
    Being human is not for sissies.

Lived in Brunswick for a few years back in the early 60's. I will always have a very warm spot in my heart for Maine. Have fun and enjoy the great outdoors the way it was meant to be.

I am a lifetime Texan, but there were always 2 states that I really wanted to see, Alaska and Maine.
    Luckily I have got to go to Alaska a few times with another trip coming up in November. And Alaska is everything I
    was hoping it was. Maine is the top of my bucket list. Enjoy your time there and see all of it and do lots of fishing and hunting.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Quote Originally Posted by lunicy View Post
    I have family in Kennebunk... Popular family. What was your business, if you don't mind me asking?
    Back a long time ago (about mid 70's) there was a Morning Star Plastics injection molder on the West side of the highway (Morningstar owned Data Packaging Corp out of Cambridge, Mass and had a manufacturing facility in Phoenix called Morningstar Plastics..as was the one in Kennebunk)...can't recall some names but we stayed in a motel on the beach (old time place) owned by a man named John Thompson as I recall ...had caverns in the basement ...really strange place...his Daugher Nancy Thompson owned he Maine Stay and as I understand it when she sold it it became quite a well know bed and breakfast...beautiful old home with a big widow's walk on the roof where the old time wives could pace around the "walkway" and watch for their sea captains return from the ocean.I got no affiliation at all...just thought the whole area was terrific.
    Last edited by opos; 09-06-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Oh how I wish Bay Haven was in Cornish, NH. I know it was just a slip of the finger - It is in Cornish, ME. Just down the road a piece from Freedom, NH
    Great catch Cornish ME, Thanks had lunch there last Friday in fact!!

Just about an hour from my house. Way less when the flatlanders a truly gone!

Concealed carry no permit
    You can't hunt or go into the field on Sundays with a gun.
    Lobster shacks are really cheap.
    Taxes are nuts so high on homes.
    Not as many deer as most think there would be down south
    Food is pricey
    The Nor-Easter runs from Portland to Boston
    The Car hauling train runs from Boston to Florida free eats
    Radon levels are through the ceiling in Rocky Granite areas. Less so when you get out to the boggy areas.
    Ice fishing is great. Join ME's "Ice Shanty" forum
    You can now ride ATV's and UTV's on the old snowmobile trails now. 1000's of miles of trails.
    Deer flies will eat you alive spring and fall.
    No chiggers but lot's of ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Lewiston/Auburn the only place they found close to Mogadishu for the Somalia refugee's during the Clinton era.

The first place I ever saw Bedbug spray advertised on a hardware stores outside sign.

Not dissing ME as wife and my family's are from ME but the ones living in Lewiston were trash of the highest order.

To the east you will find great places and the most beautiful coastline ever.

Snow amounts not bad that far south in ME.
    Portland received 5000 also

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Deer flies will eat you alive spring and fall.
    No chiggers but lot's of ticks.
    You forgot about the black flies, for 3 weeks they are brutal then the deer flies arrive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12