Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Half-jacket nostalgia

Boolit Master

Half-jacket nostalgia

I was looking through my stuff for a set of dies (not found yet) and came across a box of .357 Mag rounds loaded by an old friend, now dead 15 years. He and I were 2nd lieutenants together fifty years ago. He went into Amtracs, I into Field Artillery. We served together again in the 2nd Marine Air Wing. He then went into the FBI, I went into IBM. By chance we lived near each other again in Southern California. He carried a short barreled S&W .357; I was able to buy him a stainless M60 when they were the newest thing. He picked up my .44 Automag (latest thing at the time) from the factory for me when I lived away. He retired to Maine; I moved here two years after he died. Lots of memories evoked.
    Anyway, I decided to shoot these rounds. The box was missing 12 rounds. He clearly tested the load as far as he needed to; The label says he loaded them 3/28/70, so almost fifty years in the box.

The load - 160 gr. Hornady half-jacket SWC, 15.0 gr. 2400, Win. small pistol magnum primer.
    The two guns - Ruger new model Blackhawk, 6 1/2 inch barrel. S&W model 686, 8 3/8 inch barrel.

At 25 yards wrist-rest, shooting 12-shot groups:
    S&W 686 gave a fairly compact group of 3.3 inches.
    Ruger Blackhawk gave a 4.15 inch group overall, but the three outliers I felt were my error expanded what would have been a 2.5 inch group for nine shots.

I decided to shoot the 686 at 100 yards with the remaining fourteen rounds. Lining up on a 100-yard smallbore target, I squeezed them off as carefully as I could. Ten of the 14 were in the black or as near as dammit, 6.2 inches. Four outliers made the group 9.7 inches overall.

Lessons: a) old ammo loaded carefully long ago still works fine.
    b) half-jackets, although not as good as perhaps cast bullets, were still reasonably accurate.
    c) I can still shoot, perhaps well enough to appease my friend's spirit.
    d) getting out stuff long laid aside triggers memories worth not forgetting.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Buddy
    Memories like that you Never forget. They just get put in a little closet in your brain and something opens the door. Sometimes happy, sometimes not.
    But they are Never forgotten.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Great story Charlie, thanks for your service!
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

That's as good as it gets right there. Thank you for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master

It's amazing how something so small can uncover years of memories. You did good on honoring your friends memory and I'm sure he was looking down smiling on you.

Boolit Master

Nice story. It's a shame he died young.

I shot a lot of those half jacket Speer bullets in my revolvers in the 70s.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Thank you for sharing this. Great story, and nice for you to keep his memory alive.

Boolit Bub
    The 225 grain JHP Speer was my favorite half jacket in the .44s

Boolit Buddy

Stories like this make me think on things I may have lain aside and should pick back up. Well done on the shooting and I'm glad you had that trip down memory lane.

Boolit Grand Master

Thinking back over your story. I remember dad and I loading half jackets in the 80's for his 41. I recently loaded some up with 296, just haven't had a chance to send them down range. Thanks for the memory.