Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about those Numrich barrels for the Rolling Blocks

A 444 Marlin is indeed too hot in factory loads. But if it was short chambered to not allow a factory load to chamber, the caliber is a nice one for mild cast hand loads. Same thing I've done with .40-70SS using .405 Win. reamer to chamber old guns. Simply chamber them .10" short, and it wont allow a factory .405 Win., but makes a chamber that's extremely easy to make brass for!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............The original add (and for sometime afterwards) had barrels of 45-70 and 444 Marlin threaded and set up for the original #1 military action. The 45-70 in original BP loads, or smokless equivalent were a fine combination. Those fitting a .444 Marlin barrel and loading book loads for the same were not. A testament to the designed in strength of the RB action used with the simple steels of the day. I would not put my personal head close to an original Rem RB #1 action with a .444 Marlin barrel screwed into it.

For the 45-70 when those adds first came out there was no ammo offered commercially for the 45-70 that was not safe in TD Springfields, so the RB was amply strong for any factory round. I can offer no explanation as to why they would have offered barrels chambered for the .444 Marlin, other then it was a less litigiousness time, and if you blew your fingers off, it was on you.

............Buckshot
    Thought the 7mm were the no 5 rem. rb ?

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Thought the 7mm were the no 5 rem. rb ?
    The 7mm was on the #5 smokeless action. But I saw no reference to a 7mm in Buckshot's reply????
    The Numrich barrels were threaded for the smaller thread size of the BP #1 action. They would not fit on a #5 smokeless action that has a larger thread diameter, and heavier receiver ring.

Boolit Master

NA barrels would not be my first choice. They were a cheap supply for those who did not want to spend the money to have a good barrel fitted. Call it a do it yourself special not needing a lathe or experience to use on.

Kinda like bolting a new barrel on a 10-22. If you know lefty loosy righty tighty you too can be a gunsmichd. Join the schoolof Wiley Coyote Gun Smithing or Angry Beaver gun works.

Attachment 204556

(gunsmiths) that rebarrel the RB any suggestions ?

(gunsmiths) that rebarrel the RB any suggestions ?
    Back towards you. (Michigan) Steve Durren is tough to beat for quality, and a fair price.

http://www.johnsonsguns.com/

Boolit Master

Many years back I had a Numrich barrel on a roller. The bore was small for a 45-70, about .455". They also sold a chamber reamer to fit their barrels and I still have one. Pilot is to small for other makes of barrels, also the throat is small. I have four rollers in the shop now that are getting new barrels.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 01-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not a RB barrel, but 10yrs ago I purchased a few 22rf barrels, well low and behold they were bored of center, and too top that off they were .225 bore. A 22 bullet would slide in and barely engrave the bullet, but they did make very good conversation pieces!

Those 45-70 and 444 marlin barrels once put out by Numrich for the Remington rolling blocks. Were they made to fit the Model #5 7mm Rolling blocks? Has anyone tried one ?
    Thinking about rebarreling a shot out 7mm that I have.
    Back in 80s I bought a 7x57mm RB and a Numerich Buffalo Kit from a guy who never got around
    to putting it together. As far as I remember barrel fit ok, but had some extractor issues. Took
    to Smith and he took care of it. The one thing that was a pain, the "radius" of the arc the breech
    block and hammer in relation to chamber just allowed you to insert a 45/70 with a little manipulation. You couldn't poke it straight in. Other than that gun was a good shooter. Even
    though it was smokeless action I only shot mild loads of IMR-3031/ cast bollits.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The one thing that was a pain, the "radius" of the arc the breech
    block and hammer in relation to chamber just allowed you to insert a 45/70 with a little manipulation. You couldn't poke it straight in.
    That scenario is an issue with some military hammers, and can be easily reworked. My original Rolling Block Sporter is in .44-77SBN (a much larger cartridge than .45-70) and it drops right in with no issue. I always rework military hammers to sporting configuration on any I use in project builds.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    That scenario is an issue with some military hammers, and can be easily reworked. My original Rolling Block Sporter is in .44-77SBN (a much larger cartridge than .45-70) and it drops right in with no issue. I always rework military hammers to sporting configuration on any I use in project builds.
    I was going to contour hammer but had the original barrel , fore arm and parts and didn't want to
    mess it up from original. Ended up trading it off as was without 7mm stuff.

Since most of the smokeless military Rolling Blocks don't have as much value in original as they have sporterized, I have never worried about changing them. But I never worry about that with most old military Rollers, unless it was a special one like a NY State, or similar. All the Egyptian, Spanish, SA, or Swede Rollers are pretty cheap, and not enough collector value to cause me concern in altering them.
    I pick up old military Rollers complete for less than I can buy their actions. Always below $300 complete. I've got a beauty sitting in my gun room now that I gave $200 for at a pawn shop, but it's so nice, with an excellent .43 bore that I'm having 2nd thoughts on tearing it apart! It may end up being a gift to my son in law so I don't get tempted!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Since most of the smokeless military Rolling Blocks don't have as much value in original as they have sporterized, I have never worried about changing them. But I never worry about that with most old military Rollers, unless it was a special one like a NY State, or similar. All the Egyptian, Spanish, SA, or Swede Rollers are pretty cheap, and not enough collector value to cause me concern in altering them.
    I pick up old military Rollers complete for less than I can buy their actions. Always below $300 complete. I've got a beauty sitting in my gun room now that I gave $200 for at a pawn shop, but it's so nice, with an excellent .43 bore that I'm having 2nd thoughts on tearing it apart! It may end up being a gift to my son in law so I don't get tempted!
    I am not a RB expert, but I think I screwed up on last one I had. It was a carbine in 30/40 and
    reciever was nickeled. Reciever was stamped with Navel type Anchor & Rope. No govt markings.
    Best guess it was from a Navel military acad. - not govt. related. Sold it way to cheap it was
    super clean. Most I run across is 43Span.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I am not a RB expert, but I think I screwed up on last one I had. It was a carbine in 30/40 and
    reciever was nickeled. Reciever was stamped with Navel type Anchor & Rope. No govt markings.
    Best guess it was from a Navel military acad. - not govt. related. Sold it way to cheap it was
    super clean. Most I run across is 43Span.
    Yeah, sounds like it might have been a special one! I also find more .43 Spanish, or .43 Mauser chambered Rollers than any others. I just sent off a .43 Spanish this morning to a friend for a project he wants to build. It had a great bore, and was very complete. I actually bought the military rear sight back before I sent it to him so I could install it on the nice one I'm keeping. The rear sight was the only thing missing on the keeper, and if I give it away I wanted it 100%.

Boolit Bub
    I have a #5 RB 1902 (was 7MM) rebarrelled with a badger 32 inch heavy octagon. I load trapdoor level rounds. Question, can I go up to Marlin and 1886 pressure loads? The action is nice and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by william l evans View Post
    I have a #5 RB 1902 (was 7MM) rebarrelled with a badger 32 inch heavy octagon. I load trapdoor level rounds. Question, can I go up to Marlin and 1886 pressure loads? The action is nice and tight.
    I wouldn't. Regardless of the action being a smokeless, with a great Badger barrel. I'd still limit pressures to 25,000. It will kill game just as well, and the gun will last forever. And it will also shoot just as far!

Boolit Bub
    Bought the set, barrel, stock and forend and put it on a smokeless frame from a 7mm. Chambered deep so you had to file the end of the barrel to fit. Put a Lyman receiver and a 17 front on it. Load, 5 grains DuPont bulk shotgun smokeless. 55 grains ffg, card wad and seat the 457124 sized to .458 in the rifling with a home made breech seater. Held near an inch at a hundred all day long and cleaned up with two wet and two dry patches. Shot the same case all season long. Best ever, 4 5/16 at 200. Guess I got one of the good ones. Took 96 clicks to go from 100 to 200. Wish I still had it.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind with any rolling block that all of the working parts are right in front of your face. If anything fails you will most likely be hurt.
    A friend of mine had a pierced primer. The gas leak flowed back around the firing pin and blew the hammer back to full cock.
    The unlocked breech block blew open leaving the fired case hanging out of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by william l evans View Post
    EDG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12