Inline FabricationPBcastcoWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about those Numrich barrels for the Rolling Blocks

Tell me about those Numrich barrels for the Rolling Blocks

Those 45-70 and 444 marlin barrels once put out by Numrich for the Remington rolling blocks. Were they made to fit the Model #5 7mm Rolling blocks? Has anyone tried one ?
    Thinking about rebarreling a shot out 7mm that I have.

Yes, I purchased one in .45-70 and sent it back for a refund. The hole at one end was centered, but the other end was way off center! Like 3/16" off center! They asked if I wanted a replacement, and I declined. Even if the next one was centered, I'd doubt the quality would be acceptable.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently acquired a rolling block with a heavy octagon barrel, which on which the only markings were the Numrich stamp. I bought it from a fellow who had inherited from his uncle, and had been told by someone that it was a 45-70. Based on the story from the current owner, I guessed the barrel had been put on at least 30 years ago and based on the dimensions at each end, it was obviously not a 45-70, The reason I was interest in it was because it was wearing very nice old Fecker scope, so I took a chance an bought it. After slugging the barrel and casting the chamber, I figured out that it was a 444.

As I mentioned, I really only wanted the scope and don't really know what I would use if for in this caliber, but decided I should test it, just to see how it shot. Bore appeared good, and was not off center on either end!!! Only had 20 pieces of brass, so loaded some 240 grain pistol bullets with a couple of starter loads of 2400 and Unique. Took about 5 rounds to get it center on target at 100 yards. First couple of rounds were very close to touching--looks good--then out by 4 inches, then high. Disappointed! Same with second powder loading. Disappointed again!! When I had two rounds left, it finally dawned on me to check the mounting and I discovered that the front mounting screw was very loose. Dumb, dumb, stupid me!!!!

I have loaded up my brass again and hope to get out this coming week, if the weather cooperates and will give a report.

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    I bought one maybe 30 years ago. it is on a smokeless action which would be a number 5. it is marked buffalo hunter. it is in .45-70. 65 gr. 1f through a 24" drop tube one hard card and one grease cookie. 500 gr. lyman bullet. I won every match I entered with it.

Many years ago, I had a gunsmith order one for me for a 7mm Rolling Block. He sent it back--said it was threaded wrong. He didn't tell me the details.

Bruce

Boolit Master

yes, a .45 it had a groove dia about 0.002" bigger on one end. put that end in the back, it was OK sold it off
    had a '94 30-30 barrel from them, grove was about .314. Jacketed bullets would hardly contact rifling sent it back

I have wondered too. I have two #5 actions/receivers in good shape. Just too many projects. I heard that with Remington actions the barrel threads start in different places on each action. Which would make putting on a new barrel more and just screwing on new barrel to get all to line up.

We got some muzzle loading barrel blanks from them many years ago, they ran off center ... They were not known for precision barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine slugged .452, ok if you wanted to shoot pistol bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    I have wondered too. I have two #5 actions/receivers in good shape. Just too many projects. I heard that with Remington actions the barrel threads start in different places on each action. Which would make putting on a new barrel more and just screwing on new barrel to get all to line up.
    That's not unusual with numerous gun makers. Old Winchesters were indexed, and many will turn up correctly. But even they can occasionally need an adjustment, and that can lead to big issues! Once the barrel doesn't index, you make a slight cut to allow it to, and then headspace is wrong, so you ream it again.

Thought about looking for one of the 444 rem barrels.

Boolit Grand Master

The good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. I have installed several on different rolling blocks and have had to send some back for defects. The key is inspecting the barrel before installation. I have made more than one very accurate gun with Numerich barrels. I have also got them bent or out of round and had to return them.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. I have installed several on different rolling blocks and have had to send some back for defects. The key is inspecting the barrel before installation. I have made more than one very accurate gun with Numerich barrels. I have also got them bent or out of round and had to return them.
    Are they still making them for the Rem. rb in 444 rem ?

Boolit Master
    I have a smokeless action with a Numrich barrel on it shoots very well it is .45-70 slugs .457 but has a very long throat and I seat boolits out to meat the lands then it shoots well ,won some buffalo matches with that rifle.

Banned
    JES will rebore your 7mm RB bbl to 8 or 9 or 9.3 x57. Why not do that ?

I just looked at Numrich's site and they don't list those barrels anymore. So you'll have to find one laying around somewhere.

Looking for a larger bore, 444 rem would have been perfect.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the Numrich rolling block .45-70 kits years ago.I fitted it to No.1 action.I had short headspace and didn't have a chamber reamer so I set it aside for a few years.I finally bought a reamer and discovered the reamer pilot wouldn't fit in the bore.I made a lead lap and was going to try lapping the bore out a bit.I discovered the bore had tight and loose spots and gave up on it.I buy a lot of gun parts from Numrich but I tend to avoid Numrich made barrels.

I've avoided buying anything from Numrich, unless someone else buys the parts first, and tells me they're good! I've had so many crummy parts, or wrong parts, or broken parts sent to me from Numrich, that it's just too much hassle. I ordered a pawl for a SAA Colt one time, and it came without the flat spring. I called and told them about it, and asked for a replacement. They wouldn't send one until I sent the bad part back. Wouldn't even send me the tiny flat spring! Then after a couple weeks I finally got the 2nd part, and a note telling me they'd add the shipping cost to the next order I made! Sent them a nasty email on that one, but never heard anything back.
    I did get a lot of new leftover Remington stock Rolling Block parts recently. But I knew they were Rem. and not Numrich made, so my only concern was if I'd get what I ordered correctly. But it all went well, and the parts were perfect.

Super Moderator

...............The original add (and for sometime afterwards) had barrels of 45-70 and 444 Marlin threaded and set up for the original #1 military action. The 45-70 in original BP loads, or smokless equivalent were a fine combination. Those fitting a .444 Marlin barrel and loading book loads for the same were not. A testament to the designed in strength of the RB action used with the simple steels of the day. I would not put my personal head close to an original Rem RB #1 action with a .444 Marlin barrel screwed into it.

For the 45-70 when those adds first came out there was no ammo offered commercially for the 45-70 that was not safe in TD Springfields, so the RB was amply strong for any factory round. I can offer no explanation as to why they would have offered barrels chambered for the .444 Marlin, other then it was a less litigiousness time, and if you blew your fingers off, it was on you.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast