Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My neighbor thinks lead has made me crazy!

Boolit Master
    The only thing I can see that might be called crazy is the cost of the powder it will take to get all that where it is going. But if you can't think of anything you would rather spend it on, that question is answered.

Some of it looks a bit oxidised, so there would be no harm in wearing gloves and being careful about disposal of dross.

Boolit Master

FWIW, you won't look so crazy when it is all in nice ingots and stacked neatly. Do you plan on making different alloys with different shaped ingot molds or are you just going to mark/stamp them to tell them apart? Gotta do one or the other, because one melted lead is much more difficult to tell hardness differences. Hate for you to get it all organized, and then for some reason the piles fall over and get all mixed!

Moderator Emeritus

I pity the guy who tries to steal the lead out of my garage... First they have to move 4,500 pounds of wood pellets for my pellet stove I heat with I had thelead lined up along the wall... needed somewhere for pellets and well... it was the only open spot of floor... glad I poured that slab 6" thick!

Boolit Master
    I stamp my alloy COWW, SOWW, RL & LINO I haven't stamped the soft ingots.

Boolit Master
    Found and brought home another 5lb ingot today.

Boolit Master

My niece's son who is about to enter college saw my lead stash of about a ton or so in 5 gallon buckets (some buckets are taller & have more than 5 gallons plus my quantity of tin) and thought it was pretty "cool." He was raised as a shooter so its all in one's perspective. Big Boomer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Found and brought home another 5lb ingot today.
    We need to see some smelting pictures when you get around to it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    My niece's son who is about to enter college saw my lead stash of about a ton or so in 5 gallon buckets (some buckets are taller & have more than 5 gallons plus my quantity of tin) and thought it was pretty "cool." He was raised as a shooter so its all in one's perspective. Big Boomer
    I've given a few ingots away to people who saw them and thought they were cool.

Boolit Buddy
    I've given out a few corn stick ingots as paper weights.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure a chemical analysis of the different types of lead would be necessary, but it might be prudent to hardness test the various types. That way, if you find a need for projectiles of a particular hardness for a particular task, you can go right to the type that is closest. Or, if you're trying to use up some alloy that is too hard or too soft, you can make a better estimation of how to mix it with other lead alloys. Just a thought.

Hoarding lead and alloys is a prudent precaution in these days and times. Hoarding primers would also be a worthwhile pursuit, since it's just about the only non-replaceable (or certainly the LEAST replaceable). component of metallic cartridges.

I may get a lot of quizzical or disingenuous looks & comments for this, but I've made up my mind that stockpiling table sugar wouldn't be a bad move. Besides just cooking, it has multiple uses (cleaner, disinfectant, component of propellants & explosives, synthetic intermediate of complicated organic syntheses), and is difficult to replace, when missing. The U.S. capacity to produce sugar is tremendous, but so is its consumption. Supply lines can be impaired or completely interrupted, fairly easily.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 09-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Oh My GOD!!! Your neighbor is right!!! Lead and this site made me crazy YEARS AGO!! (I'm calling OBAMA!!)

Nose Dive
    Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with the other Pards that you're crazy ... crazy like a fox. And smart to take advantage of great opportunities.

There's an old saying something to the effect "One can never be too rich or too thin". To that I would add "or have too much ammo or reloading components".

If the lead turns out to be in excess of your needs (and IMHO even big stockpiles of lead get used up pretty quickly) you can have a not-so-small business on the side of selling 1 lb lead ingots. A good bunch can be stuffed into a USPS small flat rate box and a "whole mess" into a medium flat rate box.

Happy Trails and Happy Casting

Fort Reno Kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12