WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Ohaus mold block and handle "fit"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Ohaus mold block and handle "fit"

This has not been my week for molds - I bought two used molds. First was a Lyman that was mis-marked but have that "problem" solved I think.

I needed a double cavity .490 round ball for my 50s - I was tired of casting in a single cavity. Long story short, I bought a double cavity .490 RB Ohaus mold off of fleabay (I know, not the best place to shop) but I figured I have had a number of Ohause molds over the years, still have some so how bad could it be

The mold blocks are what I would consider "large" - if it wee a Lyman/Ideal it would certainly take the large handles. The mold actually came with a set of large Lyman handles. The blocks were off of the handles so I stuck them on as I will be casting in the morning. BUT . . . after putting them on and closing the handles, the two halves did not come together at the back end towards the pilot bol of the handles - you could clearly see light. I check the blocks over again - nothing to cause them not to come together - no lead, nothing binding. I removed the blocks - put them together and they fit tight with no light as they should.

I have used Lyman large handles on my other Ohaus blocks the same size and they have worked just fine. I have accumulated a number of handles over the years so I dug out my box of handles and tried the blocks on six other Lyman large handles - same issue of the blocks not coming together.

The .490 blocks set against my other Ohause blocks are the same size and look the same.

I was under the impression that Ohause blocks would work on Lyman handles - but evidently the geometry on this pair is off just enough that they are not going to close tightly. Tomorrow, I'll pull out my box of NOE molds and take a set off a pair of the Lee 6 cavity handles and see if they will work - I ran out of light for the evening in the garage. I also have a couple sets of the old style Lyman 4 cavity handles and I'll give them a try.

Anybody else have a problem with set of Ohause blocks? I can't figure out why my other Ohause blocks work fine on Lyman handles and close tight and this set doesn't? I don't have much in this set of blocks and handle so if i can't get them to work with any of my handles, I'll probably look and get a set of Lyman or RCBS blocks when I run across them rather than dump more $$ in to a set of Ohaus handles.

Just curious to see if others have run in to this or am I just "lucky" that my other Ohaus blocks work on the Lyman handles I have?

Thanks

Jim

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have 2 Ohaus double cavity molds, Lyman handles don't work. I have one set of RCBS or maybe Ohaus handles that do work. I don't like the Ohaus handles, just haven't gotten a roundtuit so I could maybe modify a set of Lymans.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I happened to grab a set of modified Lymans out of my box of handles and didn't know ti when I used my other Ohaus blocks. Could be as all of the handles I've accumulated are used. The only "new" set I have ever had is a set I bought with a mold back in the early 1960s. It's evident with the Lyman handles I tried tonight that while they fit the block slots and the mounting holes line up, the geometry of them is off enough that the blocks won't cost tight. What is it they say? "Back to the drawing board!" LOL

Thanks much - appreciate the information greatly.

Jim

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Same for me. The only "new" handles I ever owned was the first, came in a Lyman kit, long, long ago. Since; all are used, some near new and some very old.