Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lot more than a sharp stick.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

A lot more than a sharp stick.

What is a good Deep carry firearm or backup firearm

I carry these, it gives you a lot more than a sharp stick.

Seecamp .32 or .380 but there is a $400 price difference between the two calibers
    NAA Pug 22 mag.

Hornady Critical Defense gives you .380 performance
    Last edited by DCP; 09-01-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

For me, the question is...how far are you contemplating confrontation? My most carried is a pocket 25, I consider it a belly gun, meaning, if I have to use it, I will stick it in your face,chest or belly and empty it. I am by no means a marksman. I do not plan to go into combat, only survive. Kinda like a fist fight, I'll bite your ear off if I need to. EW, now I sound like Mike

Boolit Master

I'm with Flatline, I carry for everyday stuff a Ruger LCP .380 and when the occation demands it, I carry a SCCY 9mm. I carry the LCP in my pants pocket and the SCCY in an inside the waist band holster.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Try the Keltec P3AT. Reliable, inexpensive and only 8 oz. Easily carried everyday in your front pocket. The Ruger LCP (which was copied from the KT) also a good choice.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

You mean like a Beretta 21A 22LR or Tomcat 380 or AMT 380 Backup or Mini Revolver 22 short?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Any small, lightweight center fire. A .32 acp with Buffalo Bore ammo will be as affective as a 380, and would be a good choice. I personally carry a cobra .38 special derringer in my back pocket evey single day. Its the one firearm I don't ever go anywhere without.

Boolit Master
    I also carry the .380 but the baby nines are just as small now and not much heavier.
    9 is a better performer. But Anything is better than nothing right !
    That NAA 22 magnum will deafen a perp fer sure. It's the best to have on hand when you have no other way to carry a bigger firearm. It's nothing in your pocket, under a hat, around your neck,under a belt or on your wrist with long sleeve shirt,sock,boot, or inside your glove in the cold weather! In a coffee mug w/lid, inside a small carved out book, rolled up paper or magazine,plastic candy container, potato chip container, inside a bread roll, sandwich( no peanut butter) in a baggy.
    You did say Deeep back up

Mike

Boolit Master

Sig P938, it's the wifes but fits perfectly in my front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Sig P938, it's the wifes but fits perfectly in my front pocket.
    My Wife was wanting too look at small carry gun (Xmas is coming) and we went into the LGS and nice sales lady showed us a few including the SIG 938 then after we sort of expressed interest but I was like that's an expensive choice if your not sure the sales lady says come look at the kimber Micro 9 for $529 and looking at it quickly it looked like a clone/twin - even the flush magazines interchange (kimbers are cheaper!) the extended don't (unfortunately). Had her get the SIG 938 and put next to the Kimber and there are subtle differences. Santa is saving up but the wife still hasn't made up her mind, except to say she doesn't like blow back 380 ACP pocket pistols.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Santa is saving up but the wife still hasn't made up her mind, except to say she doesn't like blow back 380 ACP pocket pistols.
    The Keltec and Ruger 380's are locked breach pistols. That said due to their light weight they can be a bit brisk in the recoil department. Myself I gladly tolerate the recoil for the ease of always having the gun on me and available. If I have to strap on a holster I probably would not carry all the time.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Kel Tec P32.
    Kel Tec P3AT
    Ruger LCP (Kel Tec copy)
    The P32 is a bit smaller and easier to carry, 1 extra round and way easier to shoot (no sharp snappy recoil).

Banned

LCP II
    Very nice all around

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    The Keltec and Ruger 380's are locked breach pistols. That said due to their light weight they can be a bit brisk in the recoil department. Myself I gladly tolerate the recoil for the ease of always having the gun on me and available. If I have to strap on a holster I probably would not carry all the time.

If you think the .380s are snappy you should try one of the small "pocket 9s". I'm very happy with my P32 Keltec, it's no target pistol but it goes bang every time.

Boolit Master

If I am someplace that believes in the 2nd Amendment, then I'm probably carrying a 10mm or a .45ACP.

If I have the misfortune to be somewhere else, then it might be a Beretta 21A (or if need really deep concealment, the NAA .22mag). Sometimes, a .357mag snub nose 7-shot.

Boolit Master

I like the KelTec P3AT as already mentioned. Shot mine a good bit last week. Snappy? Yup it is. It is not an all day target type gun though. It does what it needs to do. Carry it EVERYWHERE!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

The Sig P938 was my choice because it is a 9mm. My wife carries an older S&W M37 nickeled plated Airweight since she can merely point it and pull the trigger. My niece has a Sig P238 ... which I only after the fact determined was also a locked breech semi auto. My brother carries a S&W 442 (shrouded hammer). In each of these instances it is a case of preference. I think it is great that we have choices and options. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Seecamp might be better quality gun than most of the others. Very concealable. Big price difference from .32 to .380. Not sure what changes they had to make to the gun. Supposed to be pretty heavy recoil in the .380.
    Another one I just saw was the Kimber Micro 9. Might want to check it out.

Boolit Master

Ruger LCR in 9mm.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If I am someplace that believes in the 2nd Amendment, then I'm probably carrying a 10mm or a .45ACP.

If I have the misfortune to be somewhere else, then it might be a Beretta 21A (or if need really deep concealment, the NAA .22mag). Sometimes, a .357mag snub nose 7-shot.
    Yes everywhere is not pro 2nd amendment.
    Conceal carry means also it doesn't print. Once I was at a Pizza and Chicken joint. A young family was there, Dad was most likely carry a full-size pistol. I could see it from across the room printing through his shirt.

I have a Sig 938, fine pistol it is, but unless you're wearing some sort of cargo pants it just too heavy for my taste.

A buddy of mine takes his NAA pug 22 mag to schools, hospitals and any no gun zone. The only place he won't go unarmed is a court house. He just hates those metal detectors.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Yes everywhere is not pro 2nd amendment.
    Conceal carry means also it doesn't print. Once I was at a Pizza and Chicken joint. A young family was there, Dad was most likely carry a full-size pistol. I could see it from across the room printing through his shirt.

I have a Sig 938, fine pistol it is, but unless you're wearing some sort of cargo pants it just too heavy for my taste.

A buddy of mine takes his NAA pug 22 mag to schools, hospitals and any no gun zone. The only place he won't go unarmed is a court house. He just hates those metal detectors.
    Depends upon where you are with respect to concealed meaning it doesn't print.

There "legally" concealed, "practically" concealed, and "truly" concealed.

In many states, "legally" concealed just means that it is not directly visible, but it could still print.

For "practically" concealed, it would mean that most people that were not familiar with concealed carry would not know that you are carrying. I would include black leather fanny packs and the photographer / tactical / utility vests in this category. Most people will not know you are carrying, but for anyone familiar with concealed carry, it's an obvious sign that you are carrying.

For "truly" concealed, it would mean that you could be standing right beside one of those anti-2nd-Amendment NYC LEOs and be carrying on a conversation and he would not suspect that you were carrying. It would mean that you could walk across the US/Mexico border and go through Mexican customs and they would not suspect that you were carrying. It would mean that you could go on a military base and not draw any undue attention to yourself. It also might mean carrying in places where local law claims that you are not allowed to carry (e.g. bars, post offices, etc). It does not mean that you will not be noticed in metal detector or x-ray check though. For many people, if you want to carry at work, you need to be "truly" concealed since company policy might very not support your 2nd Amendment rights.

I've lived and visited a lot of different places around the US and the world over the years and I've had occasion to utilize all of these levels of concealment at one time or another.

Of course, because of the difference in customs of dress around the country / world, it's entirely possible that a manner of carry in one area would be classified as "practically" concealed whereas in another area it would be classified as either "truly" concealed or at least close to it. For example, in certain areas of the US, a fanny bag (not the black leather type) is pretty common. I noticed this in northern California a few years back. As such, carrying a gun in a sport type fanny pack there would draw less attention than if you did it in Texas where anyone that knows about guns just assumes that you have a gun in a fanny pack. In Korea, all the old guys wear these baggy vests, so people would not automatically assume that you were carrying if you were wearing one of them there vs if you were wearing the same thing here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast