Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee REAL bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Lee REAL bullets

I have been shooting a T/C Impact with cast Lee REAL's and am undecided yet. I am wondering some other peoples results. I am casting from mostly pure lead. I am using Blackhorn 209 for powder. So far I have only tried them off wobbly benches, in rain, or other problems, yet the accuracy seems promising. The first time I casted from a mystery lead that was too hard, and I had to force them down the bore. Still it gave about a 2", 3 shot group at 40 yards with open sights. I now have a Leupold 1-4x scope on it, which works great. Last trip I went out, and the range was having a competition. I went to a family's property and shot off the truck hood, which was not at all Ideal. Still I got 2"-3" groups at 50 yards. I have been lubing with Bore butter, and it works, but its just a PITA; messy and inaccurate. I now have a handful I have pan lubed in Carnauba Red. I tried shooting with and without a wool felt wad under the bullet, but did not see any difference. I will hopefully be shooting from a lead-sled this weekend, to take the human element out of it. One thing I noticed is that the rifling barely engages the bullet. It makes them a joy to load all day long, but I wonder if it is hurting accuracy. Or is the obturation of the slug a part of the design? I know the bands are tapered small on bottom and big on top, even the small bottom band is engraved. The other thing I doubt affects accuracy, but I can't find a loading tip that works that well with these. The T/C "universal" loading tip works ok, but leaves a ring mid way around the bullet tip. A cleaning jag doesn't leave a mark, but it seems like its too easy to load it crooked that way.

Boolit Master
    When you cast these, the lead and mold must be super hot. The ribs should come out real sharp. Any roundness in these ribs is detrimental to accuracy............... And yes, a felt was does help accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I have a .50 cal Lyman Deerstalker with a ~.502x.520" bore. Using felt wads and a 70 grn setting that drops closer to 80 grns weight of 3F gave me nearly touching holes at 50 yds in my 1:48" twist. I didn't shoot many but bought a mold after seeing that.

Boolit Grand Master

These seem to cast very well. I'm running the pot between 700-750F. I pre-heat the mold, then it's just a couple pours before I get great looking bullets. Are these supposed to fit tighter in the bore? Hopefully this weekend I'll get to do actual testing. So far I've ran from 50-120 grains powder, and all shoot decent. I would love 3" groups at 100 yards. My barrel is 1:28 twist, and I should mention I'm using the 320 grain version.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is, can these be that accurate, or would going to the big maxi-ball be better?

Boolit Master
    Also............. Weigh them all and cull out the ones that are too light. They all should weigh within 1 gr. Of each other.

Boolit Master
    I have a 50 caliber 1 in 48 twist Douglas xx barrel with 80 grains of Goex FFG. I have shot patched round balls, Lee Mini pure lead and Lee REAL pure lead and all 3 give me 5 shot strings with the holes touching at 100 yards! With the round ball and Mini I wipe with 1 wet/1 dry between shots and with the REAL I do not wipe unless we have a cease fire. I do not use a wad of any type between Mini and REAL and have no leading issues. I lube all 3 with Bore Butter (patch and both bullets). I have no idea how hot my lead temp is as I turn up the temp to maximum and start to cast when some saw dust sprinkled on top burns off immediately.

I would try pure lead, as hot as possible so all edges are very sharp and no cracks or wrinkles. I'd try leaving the wad out. For example the long range (1000 YD) shooter who use the Pedersoli Gibbs rifle with their 520 grain grease groove bullet do NOT use any sort of wad. I tried mine with a wad and it shoots better groups w/o the wad and this is in all 4 of my slug guns. With a different bullet (BACO 540 grain) I use a wad and no wad with my paper patched custom molded bullets. Good luck, John

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have a micrometer or something to measure with. The top band should be coming out .017 over bore diameter or .517. Pure or near pure lead with just a touch of tin to help fill out.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    The .017 over bore diameter sounds about right as when I bought my Lee mold I called them to see what the fit should be. Remember it is supposed to "scrape" the barrel fouling (in the rifling) down as the bullet seats. John

Boolit Grand Master

You know, you might be on to something. I just measured a handful, and the top band only measures between .505" and .510". If It was up to the full .517", they would fit much better. How high would you guys say I can go with the pot temperature? I definitely don't want a repeat of the overheat I had that completely loaded my pot with oxidation. Maybe 800-850? I could add tin, how about 40:1?

Holes touching at 100 yards is definitely promising. I will say my gun is capable. It was shooting Hornady FPB copper jacket bullets under 2" groups at 100 yards with the open sights. I'll keep with the REAL bullets then. It seems like some people on the internet didn't do well, but I'm already getting acceptable groups with undersized slugs. I'll try both with and without the felt wad.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-02-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just a pinch of tin will help fill out the ribs. That is key.

Boolit Master
    Remember when working up a load or how well a bullet or ball works use a rest like Lead Sled or other machine rest to take YOU out of the equation. Sand bags at both ends are a fill in if you don't have one but most ranges have some sort of loaner rest. The diameter can vary as long as the bullet is nice and sharp. Good luck, John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    So which shoots more accurate ... the Lee R.E.A.L or the Maxi 'ball'?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john boy View Post
    so which shoots more accurate ... The lee r.e.a.l or the maxi 'ball'?
    only your rifle can tell you that. This is what mine said about the maxi-ball at 100 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0201171543_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I tried the REAL's a couple more times with dismal results. This last time I casted with 40-1 lead, pot 750-800, and kept the mold hot. I culled all the bad bullets by size and weight. My mold throws bullets with the top band at .516", and a I tossed everything .515" and smaller. I then lubed with canaruba red. In my T/C Impact these would shoot fairly consistent 2"-3" at 50 yards, same as they always have. Moving out to 100, they are garbage. I was using a 28ga 100% wool felt wad, and tried 50-120 grains of both Blackhorn 209 and (2) 777 pellets. The best may have been a fluke, at 80 grains of BH I kept 2 out of 5 on a 12x16 sheet of paper. They don't appear to be tumbling, but they clearly are not right. The same gun will shoot 300 gr SST sabots 2" at 100 yards, and 350 gr FPB's 1.5" 5 shot groups with 90 grains BH 209.

After some research, I discovered the culprit may be the QLA recessed muzzle T/C uses. I guess the bore may be slightly off center, while the muzzle is bored perfectly. I don't understand why it shoots FPB's better than any sabot, but people claim this combo won't shoot conical s well. It looks like I can have it cut off, and re-crowned for around $50. I'll definitely try that after the season is over.

Boolit Master
    megasupermagnum, the ridges on the real must be cast super sharp. they can not be rounded off. is it possible yours were not like this?

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what else I could have possibly done to get a better casting. Everyone keeps saying super sharp ridges, so I kept trying. I must have casted 300 of these and shot at least half them since I bought the mold last spring. This last time I was casting with added tin, quite hot (750+), and kept the mold as hot as humanly possible. I also tried pressure pouring. My top band topped out at .516", and only a few were smaller than that. I don't have another gun to try these in, but I am convinced these are cast to the very best quality I can provide. I think some softer lube would be better, but I don't think it's going to cut groups down from 18+" at 100 yards. I first started with bore butter, and they shot just as poorly.

From what I keep reading about the QLA muzzle T/C's, I'm actually doing pretty good. I've read where guys were shooting near MOA at 100 yards with sabots, but couldn't keep a maxi-ball on paper at 50. If I could find a store to sell maxi-ball's I'd try them, but I've made up my mind. I've shot muzzle loaders with plain barrels, and they load just fine. The QLA is a gimmick, it's only advantage is I can load without a starter. I'm just hoping it improves my accuracy without it.

Boolit Master

What I do is to crumple a patch between the powder and base of the casting. That solved some real accuracy issues that I had.

Boolit Master
    I've read often enough that fast twists just don't care for many cast conicals.

Idahoron, who shoots fast twists, has found the Lee .500 S&W bullet paper patched shoots extremely well. He couldn't get the REAL to shoot well at all. If I'm not mistaken his barrel is also 1:28" twisted.

Boolit Grand Master

I figured the twist is a little fast, but enough to throw bullets in a shotgun-like pattern? I'm not looking for match accuracy. If I could get consistent 3" CTC 5-shot groups at 100 yards, I would be completely satisfied. I just don't see any little trick fixing accuracy that wont hit a piece of paper, my smooth bore shotguns shoot better. I've thought about paper patching, but that's just too much work to me. I have considered buying sabots and casting bullets, I already cast for 44 mag, but I would prefer a full bore conical.

Boolit Master
    It seems the lighter powder charges might have worked. I'm a little surprised it didn't work out well enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast