Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Unertl scopes

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Unertl scopes

I have always liked the Unertl scopes, mainly the long external adjustment target/varmint style, so I'm curious if there is much demand for them anymore.

I see quite a few listed at what I consider rather exorbitant prices on ebay but I don't see much activity as far as purchases. Are these vendors more or less dreaming of days gone by or is there really some demand for them?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

They were the very best in their day, but, their day has passed.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen a few of the 16X and 20X unertals at gun shows and in good shape they go for $600.00-$800.00 theres something about them that's just "right" in the looks. A lot that have the vintage custom varmint or target rifles that one them to complete the image. I believe they are still popular in Small Bore position shooting also. I have a similar Lyman Target Spot on a vintage Model 52 Winchester. It perfoms and is a very good scope. One thing unique to these scopes is changing the eye piece changes the power also. SO your scope can be 10 16 20 with the appropriate eye pieces.

Boolit Master

Many shooters, me included, have a period piece that demands a period scope and that's the price we pay.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    They just look awesome on a slick old bolt gun! Id love to do a vintage build. The external adjustment turrets incorporated into the rear mount and the scope floats in the rings and can slide under recoil.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

I think they are still useable scopes and very accurate . I also believe they hold up under heavy recoil better than a lot of modern scopes due to the free recoil system. They slide rather than get hammered. A lot removed the spring and made them manual return to aleviate that hammering also. The draw back is the dependence on ring spacing for the movements to be correct. The 10X sniper version is bringing a real premium now. Unertal has been a top name in optics for many years, not just scopes but spotting scopes and binoculars also. Their big team scope is much desired by state teams and other shooting groups. At 60X and 1000 mm it was years ahead of its time and they will show 30 cal holes at 600 yds.

Boolit Master

I use a 20x for serious shooting or load testing on my 30-06 match gun or 38-55. The floating aspect is great. I nev er get scope eye.

Boolit Master

Many of the period rifles weRe not drilled and tapped for today's scope mount. They have the Unertl mounts thus people use the existing mounts and thus Unertl scopes. People are hesitant to drill and tap a vintage rifle.

Dads (now mine) custom falling block target rifle has a 1943 Unertl 10x. It really looks right on the 1950s era target rifle BUT it lacks the light gathering of new scopes. It is a 1" target version so that excuses some of that but I still love it. I considered going to a higher magnification eye piece but Dewy at unertl.alexweb.net explained that would complicate the light problem. He was very helpful and I'd recommend email him for advice and he has several scopes for sale. If I get an extra $1000 my ego may force me in to a purchase of that 2" 20x so I can challenge my skill past 100 yards with that 225 Winchester caliber.
    Got to love when the Cabelas Gun Room Pros say " I don't know what it is or how much it's worth". Custom means "CUSTOM," lol.