Inline FabricationGraf & SonsRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingStainLess Steel MediaADvertise here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPC revolvers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Is no one converting them anymore?
    People are building them, however the quality isn't always what it should be. And so far, the reputable places only work on smith and Wesson revolvers, K or L, and some only work on SPECIFIC DASH NUMBERS ONLY.

SOME of the not so reputable joints seem to double charge, they take the factory barrel off, then charge you to install the PPC barrel, then charge you to remove it, re do the forcing cone and crown and modify the threads, then charge you to install it again to your revolver..

And so far, ALL OF THEM FORCE YOU TO GO DOUBLE ACTION ONLY, and CHARGE YOU TO BOBB AND SKELETONIZE THE HAMMER, Some CHARGE YOU TO REBUILD THE LOCKWORK DOUBLE ACTION ONLY as well.

And to top it off, SOME WONT DO SLAB BARRELS.

and looking at sw revolvers for possible parts guns, the only things that I can find that wouldn't break my heart to take to pieces are a victory model with 5 inch barrel, that was refinished several times and somewhat worn out mechanically. And a pre ww1 model 1905 that was nickel plated after the factory.

Everything else im finding is model 15s and k-38 masterpieces with minimal bluing wear, that really are almost immaculate. And I couldn't bring myself to chop on one of those because even though they are the few sw 38 calbiers going for less then 700 and gunsamerica, they have heart and soul, and target sights, target triggers, target hammers., and are wonderful shooters.

Boolit Master
    I have a Colt OMT for semi-serious 38 wadcutter shooting. Little sister has her PPC gun (Model 10 by Davis) and she can trim my sails with it most skillfully. I can almost keep up with her using the OMT, but she is DARN GOOD.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've used brush creek aka mojo and he will build you a phenomenal ppc and customize to your specs. Great guy knows his stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus
    Mojo has done some work for me and I was very happy.

Boolit Master

The PPC Ispc and bowling pin guns are seldom seen for sale though there were pretty decent numbers of all of them built over the years. My clark built 45 with compensator pin gun is still a ball to shoot very accurate and interesting. But it also holds a lot of special memories for me so it wont be sold off for awhile. Same with the specialty bullseye pistols. I have a friend with a 1911 in 32 S&W long that's a ball and he wont part with it either.

Boolit Master

My pin gun has always been a Wilson converted colt 1911 70 series, Pin shootings will show you a lot about the stopping power of your rounds.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Boolit Master
    If you want a truly great PPC gun and can find one, a Fred Schmitt "Short Cylinder" gun would be one to get. Although Fred passed away about 30 years or more ago, I still remember those sweet guns he built with the cylinder shortened to just take a flush seated wadcutter and the barrel tenon extending farther back to retain minimum B/C gap... the bullet was in the forcing cone before it completely left the case for NO bullet jump. All the rest of the "standard" features of a PPC gun were then included to make an formidable package.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The late Bob Collins of Alexandria, VA also built short-cylinder wadcutter guns and IIRC Jerry Kieffer of Richmond, VA still does.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You guys are gonna cost me money. I honestly have no need for one. But a short cylinder WC gun sure sounds like fun.

Boolit Master
    I cant even find slab sided barrel blanks.

I would be happy with a 4 inch barrel these days. Might be better as im trying to figure out the old FBI revolver system.

The irony is that so many of the names are long gone.

Boolit Master

It's always fun to take the old PPC revolver to the range. I should probably shoot it more than I do. I really enjoyed the PPC course and shooting on the department pistol team back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W 15-3 PPC 2-800-90%.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	203384  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I can remember when the bull barrel guns came on the scene. Royce Weddle built mine and it still shoots better than I can. Lots of good memories during the 18 years I competed. Keep looking. You will find one!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I can remember when the bull barrel guns came on the scene. Royce Weddle built mine and it still shoots better than I can. Lots of good memories during the 18 years I competed. Keep looking. You will find one!
    Royce Weddle was a great gun builder. I won a state championship with one of his revolvers built on a K Frame S&W. I could usually shoot scores in the 1480s out of 1500 with it. Sometimes better.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    1480 is KICKING ***. Darn fine shooting! That is the ZIP Code Little Sister mails from. I am ecstatic with a 1450 score.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    1480 is KICKING ***. Darn fine shooting! That is the ZIP Code Little Sister mails from. I am ecstatic with a 1450 score.
    Thanks 9.3X62AL. I often shot clean through 25 yards, but I always dropped points at the 50 yard barricade position, particularly the left hand portion. Sometimes I dropped a few points at the left hand barricade position at 25 yards too.

Your scores in the 1450s made you a "High Master" if I recall properly. Nothing to sneeze at!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If you want a truly great PPC gun and can find one, a Fred Schmitt "Short Cylinder" gun would be one to get. Although Fred passed away about 30 years or more ago, I still remember those sweet guns he built with the cylinder shortened to just take a flush seated wadcutter and the barrel tenon extending farther back to retain minimum B/C gap... the bullet was in the forcing cone before it completely left the case for NO bullet jump. All the rest of the "standard" features of a PPC gun were then included to make an formidable package.

Froggie
    My Schmitt built ppc revolver is the long cylinder version. Was going to buy the short cylinder version but I didn't want to get locked into using wc's only. Countless 1000's of rounds down the tube with nothing but quality range time.

Boolit Master

My Schmitt built ppc revolver is the long cylinder version.
    One of the officers on our department pistol team had one those short cylinder PPC revolvers built by Schmidt. As I recall it was built on one of the first L Frame Smiths that I saw. It needed flush seated wadcutters and that bullet was into the rifling within a quarter inch of firing so it was spinning before it was actually out of the case. Pretty ingenious, but I really couldn't shoot it any more accurately than my Royce Weddle standard cylinder revolver.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I see old PPC revolvers at gun shows occasionally but they're sort of like used tractors, the people that owned them don't usually part with them until they are completely worn out.

The last Virginia made "short cylinder" PPC revolver I saw was in a local gun store and that one was reportedly from an estate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12