Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationADvertise here

Thread: european style scopes

Boolit Master

european style scopes

Iv been trying to figure out if the European style scopes offer much in the way of my needs.

I like American style scopes with big objective lenses with good optical coatings on them for light gathering purposes, and to make it more enjoyable to use.

The European style use a small objective lense, but put a larger eye piece on. I am curious as to how well this set up deals with low light gathering in the woods at day break and day light.

Boolit Master
    Do the European's offer more 30mm tubes than the American's? I had a Leupold 30mm 2x7 that was very good in the evening! I should have kept it too.

Boolit Master
    a lot of what I see, at least in my budget are all 25 to 30 mm front end.

Boolit Master
    The best attribute for low light use is a low magnification scope like a 2.5X to 3X.

The Europeans hunt a lot at night under moonlight from stands. They often use huge 6X56 scopes.

I much prefer a small objective low magnification scopes for early or late hunting in poor light.
    You can use one of those huge clunky German scopes but they will work better set at low magnification.
    The big US scopes also work better at the bottom end magnification.
    During normal light you are always stuck with a big clunky scope

With my own 3X9 variables the only time they were set on 9X was at the rifle range. For hunting they stayed on 3X and all glassing was done with my binocular meaning the scope's optics were used less than a minute per hunting season.
    EDG

I have a Khales (sp) 2.5 X scope with a 26mm tube that dates back to 1970 or so. It is the finest optic I have ever use on a hunting rifle. Were I to go sniping, it would be my optic; moon light is like shooting on a cloudy day.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

PAPERPATCH MASTER

A few years back I got a Leupold European market scope on close out. It is a 30mm with a German #4 post crosshair reticule and is a 1.5 x 4.5X variable. I have it on my .416 Taylor Model 70 and is a very quick to bring on target scope combo.Robert