WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: MAS 36 Receiver/Bolt Hardness Specifications ?

MAS 36 Receiver/Bolt Hardness Specifications ?

Does anyone have correct Brinell hardness(or other accepted disciplines) values for:
    Receiver
    Bolt Body
    Bolt Lugs
    Thanks.
    Anyone have any links to any conventional Brinell/Rockwell numbers for military rifles
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 09-01-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Redefined request

Boolit Master
    Try "Hatcher's Notebook". You can usually find free downloads or readable files online.

Boolit Master
    Heres a link to Hatcher's Notebook at the Internet Archive.
    https://archive.org/details/Hatchers_Notebook

Super Moderator

..............The original cartridge for the rifle was comparable to the 308 Winchester/7.62 Nato. I had a MAS 36 and converted it to 45-70:

I shot loads approaching the .458 Winchester. The buttstock has a 12.5" pull, so let me tell you, you'll need to find a place for your thumb, or you will be forever cross eyed from your thumb smacking your nose.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Theres also a 7.62 NATO version of the rifle used as a military and police sniper rifle. The actions of these were purpose made, not military surplus actions. There were also many civilian sporting rifles built on these actions mainly for sale in the French colonies. The sporting models were chambered for many different cartridges so don't be too surprised if you find a sporter MAS 36 in 7mm or one of many European favorites.

Multigunner-Buckshot,
    I thank you both for the useful data.
    Sorry for delay in responding, but had cataract surgery/len repalcements and have been busy running around 'seeing' things. Unbelieveable!!! 20/20 vision now.
    Have a couple of MAS 36's I'd like to test hardness on.
    That I can do, but need an objective.
    Have a couple Siamese I was thinking about possibly converting to 45-70 but .....
    Right now sitting here trying to get the left hip back in operation-thank goodness for drugs!
    And as so often happens, I.m in the ditch here!
    Thanks again for answers and ideas.

Boolit Master
    Hi kywoodwrkr.Remember the old DuPont slogan?"Better living through chemistry"?I have cataract surgery coming up next month.The day after my birthday.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Leo,
    I'd have the surgery again just because it was almost flawless.
    First eye done at about 8:30 AM, I got home and looked at TV, or actually 2 TVs.
    One was normal and other was canted at about 45 degrees. Double vision was expected early on.
    Napped three hours and when I awoke one tv and at 0 dgree tilt.
    Next day that eye was 20/20.
    Dr. said they had unexpected problem, never said exactly what, but was contributed by Flomax medication.
    Second eye, bloodshot from local anesthesia shot nicking a blood vessel. Next day that eye was 20/25.
    Week later doc refered to my vision as 20/20.
    Only problem now is I keep losing my glasses-they're never on my nose when I go to shift them.
    Actually there is another problem, folks keep hollering at me to put my safety glasses on in the shop-my old glasses were safety quality.
    Anyhoooo, good luck and clear vision!
    Old slogan-yes remember that one, lived close to GE plant at one time, workers there corrupted GE's to
    "Progress is our most important problem".
    Take care & good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

No scientific data but have milled a couple and drilled and tapped for scope mounts and they cut about like a 93 or 95 mauser.

Boolit Master
    I suspect they heat treated the MAS in much the same manner as the Lee Enfield rife action body. The main body being only partly oil hardened to maintain a certain degree of spring temper while the locking recesses would be differential hardened for wear resistance.
    Since the receiver ring did not bear the stress of the locking lugs it may have only been hardened fully at the internal threads for the barrel shank to allow for later re-barreling.
    Some WW1 and earlier French rifles were made from a Winchester patented fluid steel developed for smokeless powder versions of their rear locking lever action designs. So metallurgy was likely first rate.

Buckshot, very cool conversion. Were you able to clean up the trigger at all? Or is it still like mine, somewhere in the 125# range?!?
    I've read a few tips for lightening their pulls by polishing off the parkerizing (on the arsenal rebuilt rifles) as well as changing out the trigger spring, neither of which I've tried, yet. Anyone have any tips for cleaning up their triggers? I've asked before but don't recall if it was on this forum or another.

Sorry, for the thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............The original cartridge for the rifle was comparable to the 308 Winchester/7.62 Nato. I had a MAS 36 and converted it to 45-70:

I shot loads approaching the .458 Winchester. The buttstock has a 12.5" pull, so let me tell you, you'll need to find a place for your thumb, or you will be forever cross eyed from your thumb smacking your nose.

................Buckshot

Boolit Master
    Hi Kentucky.Just have the left eye to get done.The right don`t work any more.But that`s a story for another time and place.And thanks for the good wishes.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Found a little information via another forum.
    "Excerpt from the fabrication tables:

Each receiver was heated up to 850°C, water quenched and annealed to 600°C, the quality of the treatment was tested on one spot only on the middle of the receiver (HRC 38/41), the expected minimum yeld value to be 85kg/mm². "

850°C = 1562°F
    600°C = 1112°F

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

................Buckshot
    I always enjoy your work Buckshot. Thanks for sharing.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

To lighten my trigger, I just ground off a quarter of a turn off the firing pin spring. Could also modify a M1 carbine spring but decided to be cheap. Went from 12t# pull to 9 or 10.Do not NOT take too much off. A little will do alot.