WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking for the original .30 Badger authors

Boolit Mold

Looking for the original .30 Badger authors

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been searching the internet for anyone who can help me with re-chambering a n H&R shotgun to use the .30 Badger cartridge. I have found that the H&R shotgun action was the first used to make this particular wildcat. Any help would be much appreciated.

In Remembrance

Sadly the person you are looking for hasn`t been on this web site for about a year. Yes indeed the 30 Badger is a fun cartridge/gun combo. As has been said often you need 2 five gallon pails when you go out shooting, 1 pail of ammo and the other for the empties!Robert

Banned

Here is the guy you want. He was just on yesterday.
    Send him a PM
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...4874-badgeredd
    I miss the Michigan Liars Club members here.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Here is the guy you want. He was just on yesterday.
    Send him a PM
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...4874-badgeredd
    I miss the Michigan Liars Club members here.
    There's still a few around.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Varmint17 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been searching the internet for anyone who can help me with re-chambering a n H&R shotgun to use the .30 Badger cartridge. I have found that the H&R shotgun action was the first used to make this particular wildcat. Any help would be much appreciated.
    What is it you need to know?

Finding someone to stub the barrel for you will be the hardest thing unless you're good on a lathe.

Manson has the reamer print on file I do believe.

.30 Mauser or 7,62x25 Tokarev dies are all you need.
    I use a set of Lee Tokarev dies myself.

I've tried several head stamps of .38 special but Federal has been the best. Some have 20+ loads and I've only lost 2 due to a cracked neck so far. The beauty of the Badger though....38 brass is cheap and plentiful so who cares.

Once you get brass made and fire formed back the sizer off and head space on the shoulder NOT the rim. It makes a difference in accuracy and brass life.

32-20 data is perfectly interchangeable.

If you'll use an SB2 rifle action instead of an SB1 shotgun action you'll be happier. The smaller firing pin and tighter fit of the pin makes things easier AND with the stronger action you can go FAR beyond anything the 32-20 is capable of. 38 brass is much stronger.
    I've pushed some loads into .300 blackout territory with no signs of trouble.

You'd be doing yourself a big favor to pickup a chronograph when loading for a wildcat.

I didn't invent the cartridge but I have worked with it quite a
    But in the last few years. If I can help, just ask.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Mold
    Manufacturing the round is no issue. Once I read how it was done, I just made 50 rounds to see how the brass would handle it. I am using the Lee 7.62X25 Tok dies. What I was trying to find was someone who already had the reamer and possibly the lathe to make the insert or be able to manufacture a blank barrel for the action I already have. None of the gunsmiths near me will do it.

Yeah, it's not as easy as it sounds the first time you hear it. There are a couple of ways to do it but lopping off a shotgun barrel, threading the ID and screwing in a new barrel is by far the best.

David White at D&T Custom Gun Works will do as good a job as can be done by anyone. Barrel stubbing is his speciality.

This is a link to his forum. Talk to him, he IS the man for doing it right. I doubt he has the reamer on hand but as I said, pretty sure Manson Reamers has the print on file and can cut you one.

https://dandtcustomgunworks.websitetoolbox.com

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, I will give D&T a look.

Boolit Master

While your gun is in the expert hands of David, have him glass bed a scope mount and do a trigger job. He is not cheap but he IS good and stands behind his work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Varmint17 View Post
    Manufacturing the round is no issue. Once I read how it was done, I just made 50 rounds to see how the brass would handle it. I am using the Lee 7.62X25 Tok dies. What I was trying to find was someone who already had the reamer and possibly the lathe to make the insert or be able to manufacture a blank barrel for the action I already have. None of the gunsmiths near me will do it.
    Dave Manson of Manson Reamers (https://mansonreamers.com/) has the prints and makes the reamer. I would suggest that you specify a slight change in neck diameter to .335" to make it more compatible with nearly any 38 Special parent brass. Just tell him Edd Badgley sent you to him. In your case I would also mention to David at D&T you would be supplying the reamer for the job.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Hummmm ??
    I'm sure tempted to get a contender Barrel make up in this caliber.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
    Hummmm ??
    I'm sure tempted to get a contender Barrel make up in this caliber.
    I borrowed a 30 Badger reamer from a feller on another forum. I dropped that reamer into an old 10 inch 32H&R contender barrel. It worked great and I could not be happier. Sweet shooting little round and brass is pretty much if not free. That needing two five gallon buckets thing is true. Go to the range with a full bucket of ammo and leave the range with a bucket of empties. One of the most addictive rounds I have ever used. The man that thought the 30BADGER up really deserves a great big thank you. THANK YOU Badgerman, wherever you are.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate you guys mentioning me, thank you!

And after many requests, I now have my own 30 Badger reamer!

The last 3 rifles done were built off the H&R model 158 16 ga. shotguns, with the barrel being permanently installed in the shotgun barrel, plus this is far cheaper than a barrel stub. Most guys opt for the shotgun barrel to be cut to 22" but ask that the insert be cut to 18".

Other than a trigger job and the barrel being drilled and tapped for sights or a scope base, these make great little guns for sure!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Edd's stunningly simple yet elegant idea has been an absolute knockout in accuracy. Between Badgeredd and BABore's work, I honestly don't know how it could be improved upon.

Pistols, rifles, suppressed, unsuppressed, ultra light loads, heavyweights, slow to fast, the cartridge just works.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

How close is the 30 badger chamber to a standard 30 mauser chamber other than the rim cut?