Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast boolits finally ate my scope...

My father in law shot the reticle loose in a high end Leupold scope on his 300 Weatherby magnum. He replaced it with a 3X9 Nikon Monarch and that scope is still doing fine 5 years later. He also felt the Nikon was a brighter scope at dusk or dawn shooting. After Leupold repaired the scope, he put it on a lesser recoiling rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    The American rifle IS NOT like the M77 Mk ll . They can be accurate and have some nice features. Push feed rifles all seem to encounter many more mishaps than crf rifles.
    Ok, I'll bite - what you talking about Willis? I have both kinds of rifles and only had to replace parts on CRF Mausers - though I grant they have 75 or more years on the push feed ones.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nikon told me there was nothing wrong with my scope! They are sending it back and it will be here tomorrow. I supplied the photos of the dropped strings and talked with them on the phone about it. I asked if they would replace the optic since their tech couldn't find anything wrong with it...and they refused. I ordered another from the original supplier I bought it from and will be returning the defective optic to them. I told Nikon I was going to do this if they didn't replace it and they would get it back anyways in the long run. I hate to do it to the retailer but there is no way I'd trust to use this optic again after they didn't fix anything. I should have just did this right off the bat and will my practice from now on out in the future.

The new scope I ordered from the supplier showed today. I lapped the rings, cleaned rings and screws afterwords with carb cleaner, and literally painted the screws from head to toe in blue loctite. I hand torqued them with good force till they wouldn't move. After cleaning off the inside of the lapped rings the ring closest to the butt had about the front third of its bluing lapped off and the foward ring just a little spot half the size of a dime in the middle. I would assume that was the cause of my slippage.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-22-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12