Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 19 Gen 5

Boolit Master
    As do Colt, Smith and Ruger fans do over new models, I'm sure......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

These guns are basically G17M and G19M's that Glock made for the Govt. Trials. They lost that contract but are still going to sell the guns commercially.. That's what every gun Mfg. does.

These guns are out there big time and I have seen one at a LGS. They showed them on "Gunnytime" on the Outdoor Channel this last week.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Glock 19 Gen 5

I have finally gotten the chance to shoot both the 17 and 19 Gen5s.

Disclaimer: I taste bile in my mouth when I hear the word "Glock". The cult following I call unapologetically "Glocktards", has got to be in the running with iPhone fanatics for the most gullible people on Earth. But I can not take way from the proven design and reliability that Glock pistol are known for. And I carry one. Or two, if going to St Louis.

Ok, I will have to say I LIKE the trigger. It felt like a better long g43 trigger, like a NY#1 trigger spring was modified. Revolver-ish in a way. I'm trying my best to describe it! It's a good Trigger for a striker fired weapon. This is coming from a snubnose shooter.

As a leftist with RA and injuries to my hands and fingers, I like the ambi controls and the ability to change the magazine release. But until the Gen4 oversized magazine release, it never bothered me. I never accidentally engaged the Gen2 or Gen3 small magazine release even while shooting left handed. But the Gen4 has happened a couple of times.
    I always use Hand On Top (HOT) method of releasing the slide so I never thought about the need for a ambi slide release. And with he way my hands are, it hurts to engage the slide stop release with either thumb. But it's nice that Glock is finally realized that "Left Lives Matter Too!"
    Still the cheap "dovetail protectors" that they call sights are on it. But, they are better and I did not hit high with them anymore! Other shooters said the same thing. So might only cost me a FO front sight instead of the full set.
    The grips and perfect again!!!!! No more finger bite for me. The G19 size always gave me a bad finger bite. Now I can keep my finger where I want them. I had to use the LG backstrap on the Gen4 to keep finger bite down when carrying the G23 or G27 size pistols. This Gen5 didn't bother me, and it's the same grip angle and size as the Gen4 but without the finger grooves.
    I don't like the magazine well. I see no practical need for such a thing. And it was noticeable on the G19 more than the G17.
    The new finish looks great! Hope it holds up.

What I wished they changed:
    1) Make the magazine fit flush like in the Baby Glocks, i.e. G26/27/33. If you are going to go ahead and change the frame, make a flush fitting magazine. Make it look like it belongs and not just an after thought.
    2)No need for a gapping whole in the front of grip! Maybe when the Gen2 magazines weren't metal lined, and didn't fall free. But now they are and really not needed. I can see that causing problems on my pinky shooting a lot.
    3)Still needs more of an undercut on the trigger guard.

Yes, only a handful of parts will interchange with the previous generations. That sucks. But unless the parts triple in price and can't be bought at MIDWAYUSA or else where, I don't see a problem. Gaston waited over 30 years to make such a change. Even the devil has a heart now and then. But I wonder how the Gen5's magazines are going to fit in the Gen4s with that lip of the mag base plate sticking out like that. And for how long is Glock going to be supplying both Gen4 and Gen5 9mm magazines? Maybe they will make a Gen5 G26 and drop the Gen4 line of 9mms. Crystal ball is foggy, so wondering.
    And the fact that it's only going to be in 9mm is limiting. And the real possibility that the G26 won't "crossover" to Gen5 versions. But I'm comfortable with 9mm as a carry caliber. But strange that Glock would limit their fan base's choices. Are we going to see a "down size" of the models?

Will I buy one? Yes. I will wait and see what the spare parts are running and give this Gen5 a few months to see if anything pops up. But I really doubt anything does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 09-08-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I'm happy to see them getting rid of the finger grooves. I haven't bought a Glock since they went with the grooves in the gen3. Just never felt right to me once I had been shooting my gen 2 model 23.

Boolit Master

I read a bunch of reviews of the new pistol and was in the market to buy a new Glock 9mm for GSSF indoor matches. I currently only own one Glock; a Gen 4 G29 10mm compact that I bought exclusively for carrying while hunting and hiking in the Idaho woods. Bought it last Winter and I love it; accurate, powerful, and concealable. Ammo prices for it got me serious about reloading and I have learned a ton over the past few months thanks to this forum.

Then I got invited to shoot at an indoor GSSF match at a range about 45 miles away. Rules stipulate has to be a Glock. All I had was the 10mm. When I showed up for the first match; the regulars politely told me that I was severely handicapped by using that pistol. I shot a 468 out of 500 and won my division... Last month's match I shot a 482...

I decided I wanted to join the 500 club and to do so, would need a 9mm Glock. I originally wanted a G34. I received my Blue Label coupon and a Gen 4 G34 would cost me $507. A G19 would cost $425. I was tempted by the G19 since it would serve as more than just a match gun and I could use it for in town CCW as well.

Then I heard about the release of the Gen 5 Glocks. I had handled a Gen 4 G19 and it fit my hand like a glove. Then my LGS got in the much storied Gen 5 G19 last week. I went to the store and I had to wait to look at it since there was a small line at the gun counter of enthusiasts fondling it ahead of me.

I picked it up and looked it over. Fit and finish was typical Glock. Slide finish was darker, I noticed. Then I grasped it and immediately noticed the front grip cut out. It was awful and instantly annoying with it's gaping size and sharp edges. It pointed well and fit my hand, but that cut out made it a no-go for me.

A couple of days later I was surfing the various gun forums I'm on and someone was gushing about their new Gen 4 G19 FS Summer Special. It's the limited run G19 with the front slide serrations, steel sights, and extended Slide Stop lever. He said he found an online gun store that was closing them out and selling them for $449. It sounded too good to be true, but out of curiosity, I went to the website and they had two left, so I ordered one. Will be here tomorrow.

Since this pistol's main purpose is to compete in matches, I needed something that had a large parts availability for the Unlimited division. The Gen 5 did not have that. Plus, that goofy grip cutout was just plain annoying.

Bottom line is that the new gun had a couple of serious shortcomings that made it a no-go for me and I ended up buying a somewhat unique Gen 4 that should serve me well in it's intended use.

Attachment 203934

Banned

The significant improvement in accuracy is good. Old was rated at 4" at 25 yards and new 4" at 50 yards. They should put the new polygonal rifling in every gun they produce.

Boolit Master

Glock 19 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I read a bunch of reviews of the new pistol and was in the market to buy a new Glock 9mm for GSSF indoor matches. I currently only own one Glock; a Gen 4 G29 10mm compact that I bought exclusively for carrying while hunting and hiking in the Idaho woods. Bought it last Winter and I love it; accurate, powerful, and concealable. Ammo prices for it got me serious about reloading and I have learned a ton over the past few months thanks to this forum.

Then I got invited to shoot at an indoor GSSF match at a range about 45 miles away. Rules stipulate has to be a Glock. All I had was the 10mm. When I showed up for the first match; the regulars politely told me that I was severely handicapped by using that pistol. I shot a 468 out of 500 and won my division... Last month's match I shot a 482...

I decided I wanted to join the 500 club and to do so, would need a 9mm Glock. I originally wanted a G34. I received my Blue Label coupon and a Gen 4 G34 would cost me $507. A G19 would cost $425. I was tempted by the G19 since it would serve as more than just a match gun and I could use it for in town CCW as well.

Then I heard about the release of the Gen 5 Glocks. I had handled a Gen 4 G19 and it fit my hand like a glove. Then my LGS got in the much storied Gen 5 G19 last week. I went to the store and I had to wait to look at it since there was a small line at the gun counter of enthusiasts fondling it ahead of me.

I picked it up and looked it over. Fit and finish was typical Glock. Slide finish was darker, I noticed. Then I grasped it and immediately noticed the front grip cut out. It was awful and instantly annoying with it's gaping size and sharp edges. It pointed well and fit my hand, but that cut out made it a no-go for me.

A couple of days later I was surfing the various gun forums I'm on and someone was gushing about their new Gen 4 G19 FS Summer Special. It's the limited run G19 with the front slide serrations, steel sights, and extended Slide Stop lever. He said he found an online gun store that was closing them out and selling them for $449. It sounded too good to be true, but out of curiosity, I went to the website and they had two left, so I ordered one.

Attachment 203934
    The FS Gen4s are nice! Can't beat the price either! I really want the G17 FS.

Last edited by Lefty Red; 09-13-2017 at 06:24 PM.

I am no fan of the Glock design and I will say that up front. That said, I think I can say the Glock design is dated and there are several striker fired guns on the market with a lot better triggers, ergos, and sights with inherently better accuracy. Glock did manage to redesign their trigger group to make it more competitive. If you compare the trigger on the Walther PPQ vs the Glocks and you will know exactly what I mean.

Glock will sell Glocks but there are a lot of quality striker fired pistols out there and I wonder if the Gen 5 version went far enough to catch up to today's marketplace.

I have heard reports of slides breaking in the version sold to the FBI. Any truth to this?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post

I have heard reports of slides breaking in the version sold to the FBI. Any truth to this?

Take Care

Bob
    On page three of the durability thread, forrest r posted a link to another site that was started by rental shop in, I believe, Las Vegas. They claim to run several thousand rounds of ammo through their rental guns each week with Glocks catching a lot of it.
    They have pictures in the thread of slides breaking on the lower left rear at the rail area. They also say that this doesn't effect the function or accuracy of the weapon but does need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    On page three of the durability thread, forrest r posted a link to another site that was started by rental shop in, I believe, Las Vegas. They claim to run several thousand rounds of ammo through their rental guns each week with Glocks catching a lot of it.
    They have pictures in the thread of slides breaking on the lower left rear at the rail area. They also say that this doesn't effect the function or accuracy of the weapon but does need to be addressed.
    Thanks, there is a thread defended by Glock fanboys on one of our Canadian forums that might want to spend a few days defending their favourite boom stick.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Glocks are a very polarizing firearm that tend to bring out the most childish behavior in internet commandos. People either hate them or love them, which results in some very idiotic statements by both parties...

They are a firearm in use by 65% of our law enforcement agencies. They are in use by multiple military special forces units. They work.

Are they the best handgun out there? Not at all. I went 15 years without one after having owned three of them in a row in an attempt to find one that I really liked. Never did, so I switched to the XD series and then to the M&P series. Now, I carry a little XDS for town and the G29 for woods.

I still think there are better pistols out there for me, even though I just bought the G19. If it wasn't for GSSF, I would never have bought a 9mm Glock. But I am honest and intelligent enough to recognize that they are a great pistol and don't bash them simply because I prefer other pistols for one reason or the other.

There is a certain amount of entertainment value in pricking the bear once in awhile. If I hadn't had shingles in my finger tips a few years back I probably would have bought a Glock by now. When I shoot the gun the little thingy that protrudes from the trigger does a number on me. That and the grip angle precludes any interest from me but it really is an excellent design for it's intended use. It does garner tenacious owners who defend the gun with passion.

Take Care

Bob

No parts interchange with other Glocks?

One more reason to just switch to the Sig 320.

I've been with Glock since Gen 1. If I'm going to change up, I need a good reason. Gen 5 is not it. I'd rather dump everything Glock and go with Sig.

Check out the Walther PPQ M2. It has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol in the opinion of many.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I don't understand why they didn't make it an ambi mag release as well.
    They have to leave something to upgrade down the road when they introduce the Gen-6, 7 or 8. A lot of the upgrades are things that Glock fanatics have been doing to their Glocks all along. The Glock factory is just now catching up to the end users.

I'd have to think long and hard to come up with any meaningful further upgrades to the Glock line of pistols but, as sure as you're reading this opinion, it won't be to much longer till Glock comes up with some other way to justify raising the prices on their newest offerings.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I don't understand why they didn't make it an ambi mag release as well.
    You can switch the mag release to either side. I suppose they felt that was really all they had to offer this time around. Not sure it makes much difference. The Gen 5 is really a whole new pistol with a few interchangeable parts with the older iterations. Glock had to do something to upgrade their line. New frame, new slide, new trigger group, new barrel, new sights...what is left?

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Glock 19 Gen 5

Only a half crazied loon would sell off their previous generation of Glock 9mm pistols just to get a no finger grooved Gen5 G17 and an ambi slide stop release. So here is mine.

Just got back home from putting over 500 rounds through it. The trigger is like a very good G42/43 trigger, the most recent productions. I like the "newer" sights.

I got the G17 because, for me, it's more multipurpose than the G19. Yeah, I know Gaston and the fanboys are clutching their chest after that statement. But, for me, I like the G17/22 size over the G19/23.

Used the three Glock mags and four MagPul mags. All ran great.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty Red; 09-17-2017 at 03:23 AM.

Boolit Master

Nice piece. Glad you like it. The 17 is a very capable weapon.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Nice piece. Glad you like it. The 17 is a very capable weapon.

Cat
    I couldn't believe they had a Gen5 on the Blue Label already. And priced the same as a Gen4, so it was a no brainer. It's going to be pulling "dress up" carry and bed side pistol until/if they come out with a G26 Gen5.

And I will get a G19, when my Blue Label Dealer gets one in. I feel the magwell flare more on the G19, but not a deal breaker.

Over all, I think Glock made some real changes to the Gen5. I see a lot more upgrades and tweaks in the Gen5 compared to the other generations. I do not feel like I have to do anything to the trigger at all. No "mushy" feeling.

I was saving the money for a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact, but I think S&W is going to be sucking hind tit on sales now. I hate to say that, and even taste bile when I do, but they waited too long.

Also, round count was:
    1) 23 mags of reloads: 391
    2) older box of my carry ammo (for >3.5" barrels) Remington 115gr JHP Value Pack from Wally World: 76
    3) box each of TulAmmo, S&B, and WW USA Forged: 150
    4) partial box of Critical Defense: 19

I had four stoppages due to my reloads. Three had primers flipped, and the fourth was so badly out of specs OAL wise that I don't know how I missed it. All rounds were shot in a two hour window yesterday.

Also, my thumbs were not sore! And I didn't use my mag loader, so was impressed.

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I am no fan of the Glock design and I will say that up front. That said, I think I can say the Glock design is dated and there are several striker fired guns on the market with a lot better triggers, ergos, and sights with inherently better accuracy. Glock did manage to redesign their trigger group to make it more competitive. If you compare the trigger on the Walther PPQ vs the Glocks and you will know exactly what I mean.

Glock will sell Glocks but there are a lot of quality striker fired pistols out there and I wonder if the Gen 5 version went far enough to catch up to today's marketplace.

Take Care

Bob
    PPQ is the best trigger!

I have made it clear I have no love for Gaston. But after talking to two co-workers they were in on the trails for choosing a new pistol for IDOC, the Glock came out as the clear winner. It did not excel as anything but reliability, but it was in the top rankings. Almost brought tears to my eyes when they said the M&P couldn't keep up.

There is ALOT of well made pistols out there. I really like the Sig 320 and CZ P10c. And I think these two will hang with the Glocks, but time will tell. But where Glock is out doing these two contenders is track record and available of parts. Glock has too many proven pistols out here that have seen hard use for years. You can swap out springs for under $50. Mags are strong and cheap for a Glock.

As for the M17/19 having their slides fall off and break, I heard of one incident where the take down "tab" was put on wrong and it caused one pistol to have its slide come forward and off the lower. But it's all internet reports, but from a source I am comfortable enough to quote.

Lefty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12