Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak side/One handed Reloading & Shooting tips, Anyone???

Boolit Master

Weak side/One handed Reloading & Shooting tips, Anyone???

Just had surgery on my right(strong side) elbow yesterday morning. An "Ulnar Nerve Transposition", where the Dr.s move the ulnar nerve from out of its channel in your elbow joint to the inside of your arm & tucked under a flap of muscle to protect it & hold it in place. (this is the "not so "Funny bone" nerve in your elbow.).
    I had the same surgery on the left side in 2015, but it was on the weak side so I could still do a lot of things fairly normally. But with this time being my right/strong side, I am trying to figure out ways to help me pass the time, including some reloading & shooting weak handed. Don't plan to cast, for safety sake.

Anyone have any reloading/shooting/etc. tips for someone in this sort of situation?

[ETA: I am not sure if I put this in the correct forum. Apologies if I did.]
    Last edited by JBinMN; 08-31-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    The only thing I could recommend is what was told to me when I had rotor cuff surgery on my strong side is to start small and take it slow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks Remiel! That I plan to do. Along with no being on pain meds when doing these things either.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Banned

you need to be very deliberate in your movements.
    everything your gonna do is a new learning process for your brain, and you need to take the time to train it properly.
    once you do get it up and going your gonna find many things carry over when you get the right arm back again.

Start with dummy rounds - always!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

There is more stuff here
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hand+reloading

You might like to use a magazine loader
    Maglula UpLULA Pistol Magazine Loader and Unloader Polymer

Ramline X press loader

or the HKS mag helper
    Last edited by Artful; 08-31-2017 at 04:15 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Own a Ruger or Browning 22LR pistol
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you need to be very deliberate in your movements.
    everything your gonna do is a new learning process for your brain, and you need to take the time to train it properly.
    once you do get it up and going your gonna find many things carry over when you get the right arm back again.
    Thanks! I am going to take things very slowly & deliberate, just as ya say. I want to make sure I make no, or very few mistakes and slow but sure should help with that for sure.

Just thinking thru the process, I am thinking that dealing with the powder and weighing & throwing, etc. is going to maybe be the hardest part of the process for reloading.

Thanks again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    Artful,

Thanks very much for the tips & taking the time to gather and share the helpful videos! I will watch them this morning.

I do not plan to reload or shoot any long rifles or shotguns until I am back to both arms, so the pistol/revolver help is great!
    I do have a few Rugers, and I can already think on how those loaders would be a big help, so I am going to research them too!

Thanks again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I can only help as far as the actual shooting goes. When we did our concealed carry classes - years ago - the trainer was an active duty SEAL. He asked us to push ourselves - to shoot both hands, all that was required, to shoot strong hand only, and to shoot weak hand only. LOML and I had never shot weak hand only and were both amazed that we were almost as accurate weak hand only as we were strong hand only. Apparently, from what he told us, that is a relatively common experience.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I can only help as far as the actual shooting goes. When we did our concealed carry classes - years ago - the trainer was an active duty SEAL. He asked us to push ourselves - to shoot both hands, all that was required, to shoot strong hand only, and to shoot weak hand only. LOML and I had never shot weak hand only and were both amazed that we were almost as accurate weak hand only as we were strong hand only. Apparently, from what he told us, that is a relatively common experience.
    Thanks!

I have shot weak hand before, but not often. But since I am now in a situation where I am limited to only weak side until I heal, I thought that I would make a point of practicing to try to improve. So, I appreciate any tips and such to help out!

Thanks again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I have one of those mag loaders for my pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's and love the dickens out of it. Saves a lot of sore thumbs.

It will sometimes not quite get the 10 round in place correctly. Causing it to fall loose.
    At which point you have the option of holding the button on the mag down and dropping it in. Or shooting 9 instead of 10.

Muscle memory will fade on the old strong hand stuff. You will develop new for where you are now. Just take your time, don't be in a hurry.

Get well soon brother!

Boolit Grand Master

Shot weak hand PPC many years ago and still practice with weak hand with my guns. I find that to shoot to the same point of aim as strong hand it helps if I cant the gun slightly (no gangsta tilt) to the strong side. Since I am left eye dominant I have no problems with seeing the sights. If you are opposite you may need to close one eye to start with.

Boolit Master
    Just start slow and always be safe. Double check yourself to be sure and most of all never get discouraged. Dealing with some limitations here too. "A man needs to know his limitations"

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the continuing tips & well wishes, GhostHawk, KCSO, and big bore 99!

I am still taking pain meds right now, but slowly reducing the amounts. I am not going to do any reloading or shooting until I am done with them. Likely tomorrow. But after that, I am going to start slowly & surely trying to do some of both.

I will share what I find as I go along also, to maybe help out anyone else who gets into a similar situation. Not a bad idea to practice this type of thing anyway, as the video posted by Artful above, as shown by M. Ayoob in a weak arm situation/demonstration.

I appreciate ya'll taking the time to share what ya can, to help a feller out!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Bub
    I had a stroke Dec. 2014 on my right side, well had the stroke in the left of the brain... Nevrmind, you know what I mean. Anyway that UpLULA would have been great to know then. Been dealing with working rebuilding every since. Back to 85% and still going strong.

There is a plastic thingy that holds the button down for the Rugers, then you just drop them in. Doesn't everybody practice either or both hands? My strong side shoulder won't hold the 40 on target very long, even after working with weights. Every once in a while I even try the PX4 double action 'crotch' shot just to get used to it. If I did shoot revolver I'd look for a bench stand I could use, maybe a short dowel in a 2x2 of plywood? Mag change is easy but if I needed to reload in 'use' I got other problems.
    Last edited by popper; 08-31-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

No big deal, really. Shooting weak hand is a good practice even if not out of necessity. I find it makes you a better shooter. It also impresses the heck out of folks who think they can't do it. Like KCSO I was a PPC shooter so it was something I had to learn. Every now and then I don't have the use of my right hand. I just slide a 2" .38 or .380 in my "weak side" pocket and go about my business.
    Get well soon, get off those pain pills ASAP.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blogman View Post
    I had a stroke Dec. 2014 on my right side, well had the stroke in the left of the brain... Nevrmind, you know what I mean. Anyway that UpLULA would have been great to know then. Been dealing with working rebuilding every since. Back to 85% and still going strong.
    Glad to hear that you are staying positive about your situation!

Is there anything you have modified or changed in how you reload or shoot from before the stroke til now to help out how ya do things?

I would be interested if you have & want to share the info.

And G'Luck with your recovery!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Thanks Remiel! That I plan to do. Along with no being on pain meds when doing these things either.
    Most pain meds either don't work or make me sick, so it's mostly Advil and water for me,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast