WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weak side/One handed Reloading & Shooting tips, Anyone???

Reloading block and funnel then dip and move funnel repeat then flashlight check ALL cases before seating any bullets.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blogman View Post
    Shot at 25 yards, 1851s, .44, 20 grain Hodgdon Pyrodex "P", right handed. All on paper (12 shots).

Walker 47, 40 grain, same boolits, double handed, first two on paper, two off left top, two off left bottom.

Uugghh.

Attachment 203434
    Yes... I am familiar with that sort of pattern, as I just shot about the same with just my left weak hand the other day. In one way it is a bummer by not having small groups like we want,, but in another way it shows that at least you could put a hurting on someones chest if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Reloading block and funnel then dip and move funnel repeat then flashlight check ALL cases before seating any bullets.
    Yes... That is the plan for now, unless someone comes up with a way to do it easier or with the measure one handed.

----------------------

Something to ponder on, as I am, if ya like...
    I have not yet figured out how to chamfer the mouths and cleaning primer pockets before priming & then seating boolits yet.
    I am thinking about trying to put the chamfer tool & primer cleaning tool in a small vise I have & then turning the cases on it. I usually turn the tool & hold the cases, but I think I am goin to have to do the opposite & use a vice. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the input~! If ya think of anything else, that would be great if ya mention it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Artful,

I forgot to mention that I ordered up a Maglula universal loader Tuesday. Hoping it will help with one handed loading og my magazines.

Thnx for mentioning them earlier!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Shot weak hand PPC many years ago and still practice with weak hand with my guns. I find that to shoot to the same point of aim as strong hand it helps if I cant the gun slightly (no gangsta tilt) to the strong side. Since I am left eye dominant I have no problems with seeing the sights. If you are opposite you may need to close one eye to start with.
    That was my first thought as well. When I have to shoot the gun in my avatar weak hand I roll it clockwise relative to the bore 20-25 degrees. That helps it recoil straight up.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Well I will toss these out there we rarely use on the police range. They're for injured arm drills to illustrate that you can do it if you have to. They all have added safety risk in handling and I would not do them at a busy range.

This is for pistols. Squat down and hold your empty pistol between your thigh and calf. Insert fresh mag.

Also under the other arm if it functions enough to clamp the gun with the mag well facing forward.

Another is to stick the empty gun in your belt. Get fresh mag, insert invun, draw and release slide.
    You can hook your rear sight on your belt or boot heel to cycle it one handed.

These are all emergency type drills but with extreme care you might use some bits of them. Always be mindful of the loaded gun and muzzle direction.

Awfully slow but I have seen a man demonstrate a similar one handed reloading of a revolver where he opened the cylinder, tucked the barrel in his belt and reloaded the Cylinder.

Like I said, these aren't quite what you're looking for but you may adapt something to your situation.

May your healing go well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Yes... I am familiar with that sort of pattern, as I just shot about the same with just my left weak hand the other day. In one way it is a bummer by not having small groups like we want,, but in another way it shows that at least you could put a hurting on someones chest if needed.

Yes... That is the plan for now, unless someone comes up with a way to do it easier or with the measure one handed.

----------------------

Something to ponder on, as I am, if ya like...
    I have not yet figured out how to chamfer the mouths and cleaning primer pockets before priming & then seating boolits yet.
    I am thinking about trying to put the chamfer tool & primer cleaning tool in a small vise I have & then turning the cases on it. I usually turn the tool & hold the cases, but I think I am goin to have to do the opposite & use a vice. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the input~! If ya think of anything else, that would be great if ya mention it!
    Do you have a drill press? If you can chuck your tooling you have a motorized holder.

Some hand electric drills have a trigger lock too. You could clamp that type drill and do the same.

RCBS case prep station

Lyman makes one also
    but if your chamfer tool is like this

it will mount in a drill press or hand drill and you can do the inside normally
    hand tool ike this

or convert this
    Lyman Case Care Kit
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lance Boyle & Artful & everyone for the tips & suggestions!

I will keep the police range methods in mind the next time I get out to shoot! And thnx for the well wishes, Lance!!

I do have a drill press, but changing the speed by belt position to a slower speed, since it is mid range & is not where I would like it to be will take someone with 2 hands. I will ask one of my sons when they stop by next.

I have some drills that I might use for the other option, but I think I will just try to hold the tool I use in my recovering hand now & spin the cases with my left. At least til until one of the sons stops by.

I use this tool:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135615.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	203570

I appreciate the advice & tips very much! Thanks again to all that take the time to help out!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    Did the chamfer of the inside of these cases (last time for this set I imagine. they were mostly once fired & new until they may need trimming.) and clean all the primer pockets a few days back.

Today, early this morning since I could not sleep well, I got up & went downstairs to size & flare 150 of the 38s cases. Then I primed all of them. All done as suggested at "slow & easy/steady". Surprisingly I did not drop any primers.

Next will be powder & seating, hopefully later today. Very carefully since I am using Red Dot again to verify my velocities for the missus loads. She likes the lighter loads to practice so I am keeping the powder loads lighter & want to compare velocities along with accuracy to find the best match if I can.

Last time shooting was offhand double action. This time it will be bench/sandbag double action at 10yds & then maybe 25 yds for shets & giggles... She will likely only be using this snubbie LCR with 38sp loads & not .357 mag so that is why I am using the 38sp rounds for this testing & such & not .357. She has had both wrists carpal tunnel surgery & has "triggered" fingers that are lock in a bent position, so it is important I make the loads fun & easy on her to practice & go easy on her hands. She can shoot fairly well with factory & higher loads of 38sp & .357, but to keep her enthusiastic about shooting & making it fun and not painful to her hands/wrists after shooting, I am trying to keep the loads for target at lower/lighter levels. She can keep some higher velocity or factory loads for SD if she wants, and lighter stuff for target shooting.

I am doing the same for me i the weak side one handed shooting currently. I can always up the loads as I get used to it.

Thanks again for all & any help with this sort of thing. I am finding the tips & advice to be very helpful. And it helps with motivating to get out & do this stuff for practice in case things do not go well in recovery of the strong side.

Slow & steady/easy & keep positive attitude. + practice...

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

My only suggestions are practice and exercise. Practice dry firing from different stances. Get comfortable before going to live fire. Do hand exercises with a tennis ball and arm exercises with a small weight set. Hope you recover quickly and Kudos to you for trying to take advantage of your situation and trying to make something positive out of this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    My only suggestions are practice and exercise. Practice dry firing from different stances. Get comfortable before going to live fire. Do hand exercises with a tennis ball and arm exercises with a small weight set. Hope you recover quickly and Kudos to you for trying to take advantage of your situation and trying to make something positive out of this.
    Thanks Lightman!
    I thought I answered this a couple nights ago, but apparently I missed it going thru.

I appreciate your taking the time to comment!

--------------------------
    For an update, I went to the Dr. this AM & got the bandages & soft cast off. Stitches come out on the 21st. He told me to take it easy & I could start shooting again using that arm/hand in about a week on that side if I was comfortable with the recoil & such. He is also a shooter & understood my asking about it. He said reload to my hearts content, but casting should wait though for a bit longer...

Here is a pic of the elbow if anyone wanted to see it: ( if not, close your eyes or turn your head & skip to the next post. Some might think it graphic. I think it is fine, just a row of stitches & some bruising on my arm/elbow... seen much worse anyway.. )

Pic below.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBRightElbowSurgery.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	203946

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks again to all for the help, tips, well wishes, & comments!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Glad to hear he clearing you to try shooting - start with low recoil (22LR) and work up
    no Dirty Harry stuff at first try
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Glad to hear he clearing you to try shooting - start with low recoil (22LR) and work up
    no Dirty Harry stuff at first try
    Nope. Nothing heavy for sure!

Gonna just take it easy & slow.

Thanks!

-----

No shooting today. Missus was tired. I went and picked & shucked 7 doz. sweet corn left handed for canning & she canned the bunch all yesterday 8-10 hrs & part of this morning when I went to the Dr.. for about 4 more hours, but we have 22-25 quarts set up & only lost one jar ( an old Atlas). Gonna be nice though, eating later, after the snow flies. She did up 5-6 cans of tomatos when I went to get the corn. Busy woman... Lucky to have an angel come down from heaven to spend some time with a devil like me for these years. She is a keeper, for sure!

She works the next 2 days on 12 hr shifts, so I will just work on some other stuff & we will try to go again Friday.

Thanks again for the goodness!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Moderator Emeritus

JB, you've gotten some good advice and suggestions. Now, only you can determine what works best for you. Shooting with the offside hand is more, I think, a matter of WANTING to than anything else, and you appear to have that down. The rest is just practice and trying out different techniques. And you seem to have that one down pat, too. Something tells me that if I were looking for someone to assault, you'd be near the bottom of my list! Keep up the good work!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    JB, you've gotten some good advice and suggestions. Now, only you can determine what works best for you. Shooting with the offside hand is more, I think, a matter of WANTING to than anything else, and you appear to have that down. The rest is just practice and trying out different techniques. And you seem to have that one down pat, too. Something tells me that if I were looking for someone to assault, you'd be near the bottom of my list! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Blackwater for the good sentiments!

Yes, been some dandy advice & I am taking it all in & to heart. I am trying to keep a positive & motivated attitude towards something I have to deal with & overcome. May not seem to be much to some folks, & I definitely know others have it rougher than I, but knowing I already have had issues with the left/weak side from previous troubles & now the right/stronger side is an issue, I thought I should maybe see what I could do to ask for some help & see what others could do to aid me in getting better, if they were inclined to do so.

If nothing else, to help others who read this advice who end up in the same type of situation.

Keep folks motivated when they are down because they are not able to do what they used to do.

I thought asking for some tips & such from folks here at castboolits.gunloads forum would be a help in that, & it has very much!

Thnx again for the kind words & advice!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    I want to thank all of ya for the helpful tips & advice, etc. during this situation & hope that maybe I can return the favor someday when others are in need of some of the same!

I have decided to make it a point to shoot left handed every time I go out to shoot( target practice). I am going to put "weak/left side shooting & handgun handling" into my "regimen" as a permanent addition to what I practice. Not going to do everything I do right handed, but enough that I can feel comfortable shooting with the weak side if/when it may be needed or wanted. I may try using shotgun & rifle also, but I am going to wait until my right arm is much better than it is currently.

The reason for that is that I am still recovering from my surgery, and even though I was doing pretty good, I overdid it the last few days & think I "bit off more than I could chew" too soon. Nothing damaged, but I am feeling a bit more pain as I have been trying to work up the strength in that arm. I am all for the "No Pain, No Gain" adage, but I think I may be overdoing it a bit. So , I am gonna back off & keep working on the "weak side" more for the next few weeks...

Thanks again for the help!
    It is really appreciated!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Bub
    So.... Got the stitches out yesterday, good. I kinda knew ya was gonna try to hurry up. Lol, no worries. Just go with the flow and rest when it hurts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123