Thread: me playing around..

Banned

me playing around..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	202973

run this through my point forming die using my pneumatic press a little while ago, it will swage pure wheel weights very easy. i just got to make sure the stops are in place or i extrude the entire bullet out the ejection pin hole, lol. lead spaghetti..

it was a 165gr 8mm LRN but i turned it into a sort of pointed lead .308 bullet.. still shoots like the LRN. probably a little bit better BC.. i make my bullets for my .308 out of the 8mm because i get to swage them into any shape i need and they end up all the same dimensions and are perfectly concentric and a little more dense..

Boolit Master

If you fill the lower lube grooves with lube before swaging, it will keep them from collapsing, though it looks like that hasn't been a problem for you. I did this years ago, using the old Alox/beeswax lube and the swaging pressure turned the lube translucent in the grooves.

It's not the swaging pressure that is a problem with WW lead, it's breaking your dies. I reform cast range scrap and have never had a problem with getting enough pressure with my Rock Chucker (round nose to wadcutter in 44). The problem came when I got too much pressure and broke a die.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    my dies are a little different.. i can max a 2,500lb arbor press out on mine and they will not break.. i done tried that. i plugged everything off and tested to see where they would break at and i was hanging my 240lb butt off the lever and they didn't break.. it is the design of the dies for one that causes them to be weak.. corbin in their infinite lunacy decided to knurl the hell out of the die body which creates stress risers that can allow it to crack at the sharp corner in the bottom of the knurl. my dies will have a flat on them to hold on to so there is no sharp point to break when the die flexes under extreme pressures.

Did you make these yourself or have them specially mad.?

My die (Dave Corbin manufacture) broke right at the bleed holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    my dies are a little different.. i can max a 2,500lb arbor press out on mine and they will not break.. i done tried that. i plugged everything off and tested to see where they would break at and i was hanging my 240lb butt off the lever and they didn't break.. it is the design of the dies for one that causes them to be weak.. corbin in their infinite lunacy decided to knurl the hell out of the die body which creates stress risers that can allow it to crack at the sharp corner in the bottom of the knurl. my dies will have a flat on them to hold on to so there is no sharp point to break when the die flexes under extreme pressures.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    i made them myself..