RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What BHN Lead bullet to use for hunting

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Triple could have something to do with the velocity difference?
    I am going to load the 7.5bh boolit up with the lightest charge of H110 and try it again.

I have been using 50/50 PC'd in my 4570, 3030 and 357 Max. That comes out at 6.5 to 7 BHN.

Boolit Master

I'd do the milk jug test to check for penetration and expansion.
    A good alloy for thin skinned animals would be 2% tin, 2% antimony and the rest pure lead. This recipe may vary a little with some here, but, it works for me and I get good penetration and it expands well also.
    Shooting into a steel drum with water is not a very good test. Most deer or bear don't wear armour.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

How many jugs of water dose my boolit need to pass through to be a proven load? I'm lactose intolerant, actually allergic to milk, so do you have any other ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    How about ice tea jugs? Lactose free and of similar construction.

I have a few of those

they are a lot of fun to shoot, closest thing to the exploding targets they sell for a fortune!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    You can try water softner bags packed tight with newspaper & then soaked over night. Be sure to pack it as tight as possible & you will need more than one bag. Old phone books work well also.

Dick

Boolit Bub
    How fast can I push a 2-2-96 357 bullet before I need a gas check design? Thinking of working up a cb load for my contender for this year. Using 145 swchp plain base in my 38 smiths that I love.

Banned
    i don't own a chrony

44 sp - ruger sbh 4 5/8" barrel
    250gr mihek hp with 7.0gr of unique it goes roughly 850 - 900fps
    40 lead 1 tin(8 bhn)

44 mag - ruger sbh 4 5/8" barrel
    280gr wfn gc with 10.0gr of unique it goes roughly 1000-1050fps
    water quench ww(18bhn)

30-40 krag - 1898 springfield armory 22" barrel
    165gr ranch dog with 25.5gr of h4198 it goes roughly 1800fps
    ww with a little tin(12bhn)

444 marin - tc encore 23" MGM barrel
    280gr lfn gc with rel7 it goes 2000fps
    lyman #2(15bhn)

500 linebaugh - tc encore 23" MGM barrel
    450gr lfn gc with 16.0gr of hs-6 it goes 1200-1300fps
    montana bullets claims 22bhn

i hunt deer/black bear with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do have a crono and when I shot 7.5 gr unique
    out of my 4.625" Ruger Bisley flat top I was getting 950 f.p.s
    I was using 16/1 with the Miha, Keith boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've been watching this thread with interest because I plan to use a commercial cast boolit for hunting this fall. Where does the meplat,BH,and velocity intersect? It's my understanding that even a hard boolit with a large meplat at the rite velocity is a very effective game boolit. I would hate to use a boolit that basically acts as a FMJ on game! The boolit I'm loading is a .375 250GgrGC advertised as a hunting boolit at an 18 hardness. I've done the hammer test on them and it does rivet down to about .50, but then fractures. I'm looking to push it about 2000fps, maby I need to throttle it back?

Watching with interest!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I've been watching this thread with interest because I plan to use a commercial cast boolit for hunting this fall. Where does the meplat,BH,and velocity intersect? It's my understanding that even a hard boolit with a large meplat at the rite velocity is a very effective game boolit. I would hate to use a boolit that basically acts as a FMJ on game! The boolit I'm loading is a .375 250GgrGC advertised as a hunting boolit at an 18 hardness. I've done the hammer test on them and it does rivet down to about .50, but then fractures. I'm looking to push it about 2000fps, maby I need to throttle it back?

Watching with interest!

here's some interesting reading:
    22bhn

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/44...mpionship.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/44...et-n-wild.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/44...partition.html

10-15bhn?

Boolit Grand Master
    that was interesting
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah. 22BHN is way too hard. I have some 18 BHN for 41 magnum and these shot with 80to90% of max using W-296 still only compress to about half their original length when shot into a cement block !!!!

A Lee 250gr REAL (50cal) at 15BHN shot through an adult whitetail broad side without any expansion at all. (500 S&W with mild load)

I think it's been proven that big flat nose bullets don't have to expand to be effective but they certainly don't need to be very hard either.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 09-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post

Watching with interest!
    Why would you "throttle it back" you just "may" just get a little expansion at 2000fps.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I was wound up when I first started casting over hardness . And a friend told me start with plain old WW's air cooled and go from there . I hesitate to mention the number of deer I've plunked with nothing more then air cooled WW's and a bunch more with water quenched WW's . This was not just in the 444 and 45-70 but rather a whole gamit of lever action cartridges starting with the 30-30 and up . I believe the couple times I tested my alloy with a friends Saeco hardness tester I never got harder then 12 on the Brinn scale . I will say I've fired TWO rounds at black bear both from a 444 both with homecast WW's that were water quenched and both bear dropped in their tracks one at 9 yards and the other at 70 yards . As to piggies I was in Arkansas 6 or 7 years ago and had a 444 along with water quenched WW 325 grainers but I never fired a shot at the piggies .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

As with others I go with as soft as I can. Which isn't saying much as all I have is WW at maybe 10-11bhn. But poured into a 454424 and loaded over a stout load of HS-6 should be just about perfect for deer and elk this fall. Based on what I've read here, I'm confident it will do the job just fine. Since being here I've discovered super hard isn't necessarily super good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone on this site posters have taught me to PC and GC so I can use soft lead to get expansion. Im guessing if you don't hit bone to shatter inside of an animal with a hard boolit it's going to be like shooting it with an arrow. It will still kill the animal but there will be tracking involved. The worlds deadliest bullet video got me into casting.

Boolit Master
    with a hard boolit it's going to be like shooting it with an arrow.

This is where I was going with the velocity vs meplat issue. It is my understanding that the meplat does most of the damage of a bullet by creating a pressure wave no matter how hard the boolit is. But when a hard flat nose exceeds a certain velocity it sort of pushes through this pressure wave and acts like a FMJ bullet. With a soft boolit one is depending on the nose of the boolit deforming creating drag and a pressure wave. Perhaps velocity isn't as critical with a large cast boolit no matter the hardness? I know for a fact that with bullets, if one isn't striking flesh within the velocity parameters of the bullet, you can expect bullet failure in the form of a blow up, or a punch through. This bullet failure issue is the big problem I have with the long range shooting rage being transferred into long range hunting! I personally learned long ago that I can hit a deer much further away than I should! But back to cast, hardness, and hunting, are we discounting the part velocity plays, even in boolit performance?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast