RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What BHN Lead bullet to use for hunting

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    with a hard boolit it's going to be like shooting it with an arrow.

This is where I was going with the velocity vs meplat issue. It is my understanding that the meplat does most of the damage of a bullet by creating a pressure wave no matter how hard the boolit is. But when a hard flat nose exceeds a certain velocity it sort of pushes through this pressure wave and acts like a FMJ bullet.

if i am lucky enuff to get a deer/black bear, i will see if the 500L(rifle) and a 450gr lfn gc(22bhn), it goes around 1300fps(hs-6 16.0 or 16.5gr in a 23" barrel), will go like fmj or it disrupts lung/heart function.

i should have told montana bullet works to go 15bhn, but i didn't. but i don't think that a 450gr(22bhn) in .512" will stop a deer/black bear(if shot in the lungs/heart).

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I was wound up when I first started casting over hardness . And a friend told me start with plain old WW's air cooled and go from there . I hesitate to mention the number of deer I've plunked with nothing more then air cooled WW's and a bunch more with water quenched WW's . This was not just in the 444 and 45-70 but rather a whole gamit of lever action cartridges starting with the 30-30 and up . I believe the couple times I tested my alloy with a friends Saeco hardness tester I never got harder then 12 on the Brinn scale . I will say I've fired TWO rounds at black bear both from a 444 both with homecast WW's that were water quenched and both bear dropped in their tracks one at 9 yards and the other at 70 yards . As to piggies I was in Arkansas 6 or 7 years ago and had a 444 along with water quenched WW 325 grainers but I never fired a shot at the piggies .
    i was told the same thing, but i added some tin(1 - 2%). i have shot deer with my 30-40 krag(165gr ranch dog/1800fps) under a 100 yards and i have found that the wound channel( i can never recover a boolit) looks like a factory bullet. i have tried a 280gr wfn gc(goes around 2000fps) that is lyman #2 with my 444 marlin. i have shot a couple of doe around 20-30 yards and i find it to be devastating on the deers' muscle or meat. it looks to be exactly the same that my 270 and 130gr nosler bt does, but the 280gr goes out. i think that a lyman #2 is going to fast, so i will slow it down to 1800fps. if that don't werk, then i'll try water quench ww.

i had a 45-70 handi(i gave it to a young boy whose father doesn't hunt) and i found that a 405gr fbfn(saeco #018tg) that goes roughly 1300 - 1400fps, should be a 20 lead/ 1 tin(10bhn?) boolit. he has shot several doe, 20-40 yards, that go drt. the 405gr is also non-recoverable.

even tho i am a "young" cast booliteer( about 5 years ago, i have 25+/- years loading j-words ), i am still learning and i find many mistakes of mine. but i am one hard headed sumofab!@#$ that will try anything. when everybody shakes their head and says i've done it, it don't werk. then i'll do it anyway and find that it doesn't werk.

although i do like and appreciate the advice that cast boolits gives.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i should have told montana bullet works to go 15bhn, but i didn't. but i don't think that a 450gr(22bhn) in .512" will stop a deer/black bear(if shot in the lungs/heart).
    I'm guessing this is a typo. I can't think of anything it won't stop!

Again for the OP...

- What cartridge ?
    - Rifle or pistol ?
    - Which powder/what load ?

When I find that out we'll talk about going as soft as you possibly can
    Last edited by mehavey; 09-06-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BHill View Post
    I'm guessing this is a typo. I can't think of anything it won't stop!
    it might stop a brontosaurus!!!

How old? Gee....it's been so long ago. Age 14, I think, with a .303 British at about 65 yards. 4 pointer (Western count) still have the antlers. Rifle was an unaltered No.1 Mk.III* with a 215 gr. Peters soft nose. Dropped like a rock.

Boolit Master

With no animal so far willing volunteer to participate in the experiment I still believe meplat is very important.

I use 1 gallon milk jugs full of water to test "relative bullet/boolit" impact effects.
    One load that is most accurate uses a 122 grain RN GC out of a 7mm Mag will blow a jug apart, but with rather lackluster overall effect.
    Take a file and flatten that RN with a 50-70% (guessing here) meplat and the impact blows it open with authority.

I use damage to the jug as well as the spray pattern of the water to judge relative target effect.

Bought a small video camera to capture the results and have yet to set the whole thing up.

I do not think I would ever hunt with anything that did not have some level of flat nose unless it was pure lead.
    Maybe a volunteer will show up this year.

Most dramatic example of relative effect was one year I was shooting 225 grain factory 338 Mag and 50 cal round ball.
    During the winter my berm is a soft wet clay that reveals what the boolit/bullet does on impact.

The round ball cavity was at least twice as big in diameter and deeper too.
    As someone I know says, "The 50 caliber round ball is far more effective on game that the paper ballistics indicate."
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-06-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I caught some 44 mag devastators in water jugs yesterday. 1575fps with a BH of 7.5 GC and PC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	203691Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	203692Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	203693Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	203694

Here is a RCBS 35-200 wfngc cast of acww with a touch of tin shot out of my Marlin 336 at 1980 fps into 5 water jugs at 25 yards. I used this same boolit alloy to drop an 8 ptr this past fall. 40 yard shot into the base of neck and dropped in his tracks. Boolit was a pass thru.
    RCBS is on left and Lee c358-200 is on right
    Not sure why the Lee came apart but I have have been shooting ait faster as I was experimenting with loads for it.

Life member NRA since 1976

Banned
    nice loads!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Thanks for the 35 post. I'm going to try 50 percent pure and 50 percent COWW AC PC GC and ad 2 percent pewter to the mix to my Lee 200's and see how it mushrooms.

Boolit Master
    I did what the poster above did with my Lee 160gr 2R TL and that is to file a flat nose on it. I initially did this for a tube magazine. The flat is about .220" on a 30 caliber boolit.

When I started loading for my MAS 7.5x54 I did side by side tests on water filled jugs and like the post above stated saw a big difference in impact with the flat nose boolits.

I even made a dummy casing and a "trim die" to flat nose them before I powder coat them. Surprisingly it only reduces the boolit weight a couple grains. With copper gas check and powder coating the boolits still weigh 165gr.

BTW: I haven't chronographed the load but data suggests approximately 1900 fps. Alloy when cast was 12 BHN.

I haven't had the opportunity to take a deer with it yet.

One other side note. For you guys who know what a Lee 250gr REAL looks like. This boolit cast in the 12-15 BHN , area and fired at about 1200 fps (500 S&W) will shoot straight though a broad side 130 pound whitetail deer like a FMJ.

Yes it did the job (luckily it also went through the heart) but the entrance and exit holes were smaller than bullet diameter do to the hide closing back up of course but if you look at this boolit it kind of resembles a truncated cone. I would definitely say the metplat on this bullet is not sufficient in this particular application.

This boolit is of course a muzzleloader boolit and is intended to be cast with pure lead type hardness.

Motor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123