Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger SP101 hammerless .357 mag

Boolit Master

Ruger SP101 hammerless .357 mag

Picked one of these up today as part of a package deal. It has the short barrel. Might be a good one to keep in the truck. Or wife might want it for home protection because I am betting it handles recoil better than the lightweight J frames we own. If you own one of these Rugers please post your likes or dislikes.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I've had a 3" for 10-12 years and it's been my 'carry' ever since Illinois (finally!) went CCW. Yeah, it's heavier than a J-frame or a Tupperware/aluminum single-stack but it will handle whatever I stuff into the cylinder and, shooting DA at 10 yards, it's no big deal for me to tag 5 Xs on a B-27 silhouette. When I first got mine, the factory trigger needed a bit of attention but, after a little polishing and a set of Wolfe springs, it's every bit as good as my old Security Six.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I have a 3" too only issue that I had was when it was new after I shot it say after 100 150 rounds the cylinder would lock up after I completely disacembel it cleaned it
    All was good Maybe it had a small ber that I knocked off I don't know runs great now I also change to Wolf Springs to
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have an SP101 that I got this year for my "walk about" gun on my property. I have a lot of bears and I'm bumping into them more and more. This year I found one that just wouldn't leave my turkey blind alone and I was in it. Anyway, I put some Wolf springs in it, a tritium night sight on it, and tested it for best full power loads. Shooting full charge 180 and 158 grains with WW296 is managable with Hogue grips on it. I can keep ten shots inside 3.8" DA at 25 yards with it. So far I'm happy and I'm basically a Smith man.
    Attachment 202978

Boolit Master
    I liked mine too and if I wanted another revolver I'd get another one. Mine was fine out of the box (15 yrs ago) and I kept the stock grips. I didn't fire full house that much, mostly low end magnum loads. It did weigh a bit more than others but that meant I shot it more. The extra weight was nice when it came to holding and shooting. I didn't really notice the weight when carrying. Kinda reminded me it was there.

It was my CCW and field gun. Kept first round as snake shot when out walking, fishing, etc.

Boolit Master
    This one also wears a tritium night sight. Should have it in a couple of weeks.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy

I have a 4". Really like it. I also put Wolfe springs in mine. I just wish someone made fatter grips for it. Hogue's don't help me. I tried.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

I got one in a trade. It is Magnaported, cylinders chamfered and a trigger job. I real like it but I would like it better if it had the hammer spur and single action capable.

Boolit Buddy
    I carried one for years as a ccw. Great for that! It was DAO, wished I could use it single action sometimes. Mostly wasn't a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Carried one as a backup gun years ago. Liked it so much I bought another one. Got two for my two boys.

Groo here I have a Dao 2in, all tuned up with the 4 port magnaport system and it shoots anything from WC target to 200 gr Groo Monster Maulers.....

Boolit Buddy
    phonejack,

I have tried all manner of after-market grips on my SP-101s and have found the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips to fit me best. They are more hand-filling than any of the Hogues or earlier Pachmayrs. All five of my SP-101s are now wearing Diamond Pro grips. Oddly enough, I don't care for the Diamond Pro grips on K or L frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Grand Master
    I got to fire my first SP-101 in 1999, my middle sister's 357 x 2.75". I was instantly impressed then, and remain so now. I am an ardent S&W and Colt fan, but like Glock self-loaders the Ruger D/A revolvers have earned my respect through durability and performance. Ruger REALLY got the "small-frame 5-shot 357 Magnum" concept correct.

In May I bought my own first SP-101, in 327 Federal x 4.2". I cannot stand the appearance of that garish Ray-Bar Day-Glo front sight abomination, but it IS a lot less ugly when viewed from behind while shooting. I am not quite to the "grudging acceptance" level yet. Still a work in progress.

I replaced the OEM stocks with Hogue neoprenes, in order to occupy my firing hand's little finger. Subjective feel is far better.

Trigger quality rates between abysmal to godawful. Only my 1895 Nagant contraption wheelgun has a firmer double-action trigger stroke. Hammer-cocking is an aerobic ordeal. The plan is to run 400-500 rounds through the little monster--assess again--and likely install Wolff springs within it. This is a sports gun for use on paper, varmints with 4 legs, and small game. Things got better with about 200 D/A dry-firings after an internal cleanout and some CLP on moving parts. I am loath to use other-than-OEM springs in any firearm, but every rule has its exception--and this is one of them.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    I've owned a bunch of SP101's over the years and they are solid guns capable of decent accuracy. You would be hard pressed to break one or wear one out.

Yes, like the GP-100 they usually need some attention out of the box. Ruger seems to be addicted to heavy springs and their internal finishing is never going to win any awards. However, with some prudent polishing and maybe a slightly lighter mainspring, they can become solid snubnose workhorses. I generally keep the factory trigger return spring because I like a strong trigger reset and am willing to accept a slightly heavier trigger pull in exchange for that.

The SP101 is a bit of an oddball in terms of size/weight. They are bigger than a 5 shot J-frame but smaller than a K-frame. They also weigh a tad more than a steel J-frame but not by much. Sort of like the old Detective Special, but with a 5 round cylinder and a lot more steel in the frame.

Having carried an alloy DAO J-frame for many years, I'm a bit spoiled. I think the SP101 is just a little too big/heavy for pocket carry. When put in a quality OWB holster it really shines. I'm a snubnose junkie and the SP101 has some really good points and its strength is one of the major positive features of that design. Its competition is the S&W 640 in .357 and the new Kimber DAO revolver (at about twice the price !)

One thing I've noticed over the years is the factory grip on the SP101 is incredibly universal. For some reason it seems to fit an amazingly large number of users. I've seen more than one SP101 owner replace the factory grip with some aftermarket grip only to put the factory grip back on. Somehow Ruger really got the ergonomics of the simple rubber grip right.

Banned

i have no need for hammerless wheelies as i like to mostly use 'em SA. i've had a few gp100's and sp101's and currently use an sp101 .357 4" as one part of the home protection plan. i run it with 158gr medium load .357 handloads so that all of the household can use it effectively. maybe i got lucky, but mine had a great SA trigger outta the box, the DA is just ok however and i need to work on that. i much prefer hogues and that's what i swapped in before the first range session firing. ruger wheelguns are like little tanks and the eveready battery bunny rolled into one. me like 'em.

Boolit Master
    I'm one of those who liked the stock SP101 grips best. They were just right combination for concealment, pocket carry and grip size/stickiness at the range. I have largish hands and usually opt for Hogue grips on my pistols.

I usually carried mine in a pancake holster, but, it also fit perfectly in the pocket of my motorcycle pants. I also had a shoulder holster for those times when it was called for.

Boolit Master
    Ran a box of .357's (125 gr XTP's) out of mine this morning. I like this revolver. It handles warm loads very well and does a good job of soaking up the recoil. Much better than my J frames, but then again the SP101 is heavier.
    Seems plenty accurate. Was shooting at a 12 inch gong about 25 yards away on the other side of my pond and was hitting it about 1/3rd of the time. Should make a great revolver to carry in the truck.
    East Tennessee

Banned
    Put some 158 grain LSWC +P 38 Special rounds in that gun and you'll see what it really shines at.

And standard pressure 158gr LSWC are also a lot of fun in that little tank.

Boolit Master

Yes it does. Just got my 3 inch last week. With standard 158 grain 38s I can hit a 8 inch target at 25 yards more often than not. Too bad I have to send it back, as after 30 rounds or so the cylinder starts to bind due to a almost non-existant flash gap. I put the Wolff 8lb trigger and 9lb main springs in (I'll take them out before the return trip) and it seems to light off Winchester SPs just fine. I've got some CCI SP I will try next. Trigger pull is MUCH betters itch the new springs, but the reset is a little less positive. Ejection was horrible from the start but seems to be getting better after cleaning the chambers several times with JB bore paste. I really like it, almost hate to send it back for the 2-3 weeks it'll take to fix it.