Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 527 questions

Boolit Buddy

CZ 527 questions

I believe I am interested in this rifle in 223 Rem. I have never had a rifle with a two stage trigger. Can any one tell me how this trigger works and is it a good quality trigger? Also, what price should I expect to pay for this rifle. MSRP is $733.00. I have been told that I could reduce this price by 25% wich would price it at $550.00. Is this about right? I will be using 55 Gr varmint and 62 Gr Barnes Triple Shok for larger game and mabe a bit heavier rounds. I know it has 1 in 9 rifleing ao that shoud it should do well with that.

Any input wold be appreciated.

I have one in 7.62X39 but your price is right on. The trigger is a single set trigger. Push the trigger forward and you have a nice crisp trigger less than 2#(I use static weights that start at 2#). Very satisfied with the rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking first of a Ruger American but on second thought started considering the CZ. Have a 452 American 22LR and am very pleased with it. Thanks for the reply.

Boolit Master
    I had a 223 cz, it was amazingly accurate and is far and away a better choice than the Ruger. The trigger on the cz can act as a standard single stage trigger as well as the single set already described. Wonderful rifles, my 22 hornet is a keeper, I just didn't need the 223 or I would still have it as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have a 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger. Hands down,it is the most consistently accurate rifle I own. It just plain works! The trigger is amazing, but if you want to adjust it, follow the book. Its very straightforward,but the steps mustbe done in the correct order. The only gotcha I know of is the scope rings, it uses a non standard size base. Also, clearance between the bolt handle and scope is tight,had to have mine milled down a bit. They might have fixed these over the years, just making you aware.

That said, they're great rifles, and boy do they shoot nice!

I have a 527 Varmint in 223. It is stupid how accurate it is. Heavy 9 twist barrel that has eat everything I have ever fed it, from a 40g cast bullet at 1800-1900fps up to a 75g Amax. It shoves them in neat little clusters all day.

The trigger is awesome. Stand alone, the trigger breaks clean but push forward to set and I don't pull the trigger. I gently touch it with the pad of my finger. I bet if I set the trigger then farted next to it, it would go off. It is adjustable but I have never had an issue with it so I refuse to touch it.

CZ knows how to build a bolt action. You will NOT be disappointed with it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

17 hornet CZ 527

These targets are the 3rd and 4th 5 shot groups from a CZ 527 Varmint w/ Nikon 3.5-14-40 BDC Prostaff scope with workup loads. No barrel break in before I began as I was just trying to get the scope zeroed. These are from an out of the box gun and reloads. All shot at 100 yards using Bench rest and bags. As noted it is a set trigger, push forward sets it then fires. It is adjustable too. Bar none this is the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever had. I would buy another one. My next go around will be with the 25 gr Dog Town Bullet
    HP-FB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170128_140744.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	202980
    Last 5 shot group (#4)
    I got excited when the first 3 went in to one hole that I forgot to use the set trigger and pulled the last 2 shots so I got a lousy 0.44 inch 5 shot group. Powder 9.7 gr LitlGun, Dog Town Bullet 20 gr HP-FB

Attachment 202981
    #3 - 5 shot group.
    Was still trying to get the scope set at 1" high @ 100 so was not paying much attention and was not using the set trigger. Still not to bad 0.456" Powder BCL2 - 9.4 gr Dog Town Bullet 20 gr HP-FB.
    Last edited by Minerat; 08-31-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: correct scope data
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Buy one! I see used ones here for $450 with rings, new $700. I can't decide between the .223 and the .204. I have the 7.62x39 carbine and it's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Buy one! I see used ones here for $450 with rings, new $700. I can't decide between the .223 and the .204. I have the 7.62x39 carbine and it's a keeper.
    .223 may seem a bit boring sometimes but bullet and brass selection kills the .204 any day.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    .223 may seem a bit boring sometimes but bullet and brass selection kills the .204 any day.
    All the above regarding the CZ is true and applies to the one I have. Were I not lazy about reloading and brass hunting (cheap-cheap-cheap) and having experienced a friends .204, I would choose the .204 over the .223. It is a lot more gun and behaves better in the wind. That said, I will be keeping my .223.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    CZ 527 in 223 Rem is a great rifle. I have the full stock version with the set trigger and love it. The 0.44 inch group reported above is no fluke-- at the Nevada cast bullet shoot mine did a group of 0.45 inches with a lyman 225646 gas-checked bullet. The set trigger is very nice and very easily adjusted. I have mine set up with a scope and a peep sight (see-through scope mounts) and get great results with both (in fact, the 0.45 inch group was with the peep sight, not the scope).
    Hick: Iron sights!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Mine is a 527 LUX left hand version and I love it . It shoots good no matter if I'm shooting cast lead at gallery velocity or the jacketed bullets .

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 09-26-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy

Agree with all the above. I have two 527 Varmints in .223, one is a 1 in 9 24 inch bbl, the other is 1 in 14 with a 26.6 bbl- both are tack drivers! Doesn't hurt to have Vortex 6x24 scopes on them - really shows you the advantage of a set trigger!

In general, I like them. They're handy, light weight and decent quality for the price. Hard to argue with all steel and wood assemblies.

I've tinkered with three 527s in .223rem. The first had a bulge in the bore which I noticed after initial cleanup and inspection with a patch and cleaning rod. The gun was supposed to ship with rings but didn't, so I had to go buy a set for $50+. I shot it anyway and it didn't group well with any loads. The bolt motion would bind, but got better with use. CZ replaced the rifle; even paid for shipping both ways and I ended up with with a set of rings and another magazine with the replacement.

The replacement 527 shoots about MOA or less with 50-69gr jacketed projectiles and 9 twist. The trigger feels gritty from some machine marks on the sear that I'll stone out someday. The set trigger eliminates the gritty feeling. Like the first it took a bit of effort to smooth out the action with some light oil and a few hundred cycles in front of the TV. It cycles very smoothly now.

The third is another .223 Varmint model I picked up for $332 NIB; it was just too good a deal to pass up. In fact I should have bought 3 more. The bead blasted finish makes the action even rougher but I know it'll smooth out like the previous ones. The trigger is much better than the one mentioned above. I ran a patch through it, bore sighted it and put 8 rounds through it prone with some random abused milsurp brass, blc2, russian primers and factory 2nds 69SMKs to sight in the scope and it did quite well at 100 yds. It was on paper at least. Who knows, it might be worth working up a load for it.

Name:	527varmint.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	203511

FWIW the newer models have bolt handles that clear the scope ocular better now. I'm running a 30mm tube Vortex 6.5-20x50mm with Warne medium rings with plenty of clearance at the barrel and the bolt.

Boolit Master

I have one in .22 Hornet. Great rifle.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post

The third is another .223 Varmint model I picked up for $332 NIB; it was just too good a deal to pass up. In fact I should have bought 3 more.

Name:	527varmint.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	203511

FWIW the newer models have bolt handles that clear the scope ocular better now. I'm running a 30mm tube Vortex 6.5-20x50mm with Warne medium rings with plenty of clearance at the barrel and the bolt.

so, where was this great deal at?!?!??!? CDNN? sounds amazing! like you said, bead blast finish will smooth

It was a pricing glitch at "wholesale hunter." I didn't think they'd honor the deal, but they shipped it all the same. They corrected the advertised price within 2 days of the advertisement. Current price is $668.94 + S&H.

My 527 is in .221 Fireball. Very accurate. Super sweet trigger.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Mold
    I also have a 527 in 221 Fireball and love the rifle . The trigger is amazing and wood is very nice. Made its first trip to S.D. dogging it did not disappoint !!

The CZ-527H-LUX (.22 Hornet) was very accurate (7/8" to 1-1/4" groups @ 100yds).

OTOH, the .223 CZ-527MS (full-length mannlicher stock) I ordered sight unseen couldn't get under 2" @ 100yds, no matter what I did.

The factory 527MS test target showed a 3-1/2" group, which CZ evidently thought acceptable enough to include it with the rifle.

(it soon went away)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast