Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for .22

Scope for .22

I am finally, after 50 years or so, gonna replace the scope on my Marlin Model 80 .22 LR. Since I got old I need all the help I can get.

I'm looking at the Simmons 3-9 x 32 mm and some new tip off mounts. Anybody used this scope that will share your experiences with it?

The rifle still shoots great, it's my old eyes that I have problems with.

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day,

Leon

I assume your looking at the Simmons .22 Mag 3-9 X 32mm, if so, I'm sure you will like it for this type of application. I use one on a Henry Golden Boy and it provides excellent accuracy, the quality for its price point is very good, eye relief is very comfortable, optics clear at all power settings.

Consider a 4x12, my old eyes appreciate a bit more magnification at 100 yards.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I just re-scoped a Marlin 39A for a neighbor.

I used a Simmons 4x32 '22 Magnum' since it
    will likely be abused after I return it today.

It zeroed nicely once I found the rifles preferred ammo.
    (Thankfully there was enough windage adjustment to
    compensate for a misaligned scope mount)

For 30 bucks at wal-mart, it seems to be serviceable.

My favorite .22 scopes are old fine crosshairs 4x 1" tube that came off of a deer rifle. My Rem 581 has an old Japanese Valor that is very clear and will pass the box test every time. I've had good luck with Bushnell sportviews and of course old Weavers. I don't like big scopes on a .22(or the old small tubes either).
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Howler View Post
    I assume your looking at the Simmons .22 Mag 3-9 X 32mm, ...
    An excellent choice. These are great rimfire scopes. I use 4 or 5 of them on different rimfire rifles of mine.
    Last edited by Scorpion8; 09-19-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

I use older Weaver 4x and 2.5x scopes with fine cross hairs on my .22's
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned

i like fixed power for .22rf's - typically better overall optic/mechanical quality than a comparable priced variable. i just stuck a cheap but purty good konus pro 4x32 AO on an adult sized crickett - what a fun tack shooter. don't need more than 4 power out to 100 yards.

The Nikon prostaff is a good one but I think it's discontinued- the 4X Rimfire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

got a simmons 4-12x44 coming for a savage mkIIfv - i've used those before, good glass for the price tag.

While I particularly don’t care much for Simmons, I must admit that the 6-21x44mm 44 Mag scope on my Savage BJR has been stellar. I bought it on a whim thinking I’d replace it with better glass when time and money permitted. 7 years later and the scope is still on the rifle and doing just fine. I think they are running in the $125 to $150 range in today’s market.
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 09-21-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Banned

yep, for the most part the simmons 44mag scopes are a value investment. i prefer the 4-12 for it's lesser up front magnification.

Boolit Grand Master

On a general use 22 a 2-7X is my choice. On a target grade use rifle then a 16X - 20X. At 2X picking out squierrels from leafy trees is easy and at 7X target grade work can be done

I had 1" scopes on 22s way back before it was cool. When I was a kid the 1/2" tubes drove me
    crazy squirrel hunting. Field of view was so poor that I took them off. I took a Win 74 and had it
    D&Ted for a one piece Weaver base and put a K4 on it. It was a squirrel killing machine. I have
    several 22 rifles now and they all have Weaver Ks, 3x&4x on them, except for a Ruger 77/22 that
    has a Redfield 4x. They have served me well. I bought a new Burris Compact 6x for 77/22 back
    in 80s when 77/22 was first out. This was a very nice scope but again the compact had a limited
    field of view. I was in bussiness for 25yrs and sold a lot of scopes and was on receiving end of a
    lot of returns with the cheap scopes. I have come to the conclusion that if you are going to buy
    a new scope for your 22, buy a top brand. If you don't want to put out a arm & leg pick up a good
    used Weaver or Redfield in 3x to 4x and you will have a good rig. The older varible powers have
    a lot of parallax problems, I fooled with them some but never got good results.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I use older Weaver 4x and 2.5x scopes with fine cross hairs on my .22's
    DITTOS. The J-4 is my favorite, for having adequate eye relief.

Have had only two Simmons scopes in my possession over my lifetime, (came on rifles I bought). Both were junk. Buy cheap, buy twice.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    a sightron 4x32 on my semi auto unique x51bis
    À Old Weaver 2,5_7x32 on cz bolt

Boolit Buddy
    Try the Vortex 2x7x32 crossfire II scope with dead-hold BDC reticle. Nice scope for
    the money ($130.00) at Midway. Life time warranty. I have two of these on my center
    fire rifles, Nice and clear, You won't be disappointed. Would be sweet on a .22 rifle.

Boolit Master
    IF you can find one NcStar is the best i have used. they are {or was cheap to buy} i got 4 for about 59 to 89 these run from a 3x9 22 to a 4x12 with lighted hairs
    they only been on the AM market for about 5 yrs and i will put anyone against the best.
    i got one the first time for a pellet rifle. i put a 22mag simmons on a gamo and 10 shots the scope came apart inside. sent it to the warranty dept .
    they said it was not made for the type of recoil on the hi power pellet rifles . it dont [ or didnt say in the papers] anyway they did send a new scope and told me NOT to use on that type of pellet rifle .
    I put a NcStar made for a 22 and its still in fine shape
    i checked and several show out of stock on most but you may try OpticPlanet

Thanks for the replies, I'm probably gonna purchase the Simmons. With Auto insurance and a broken ice dispenser on the refrigerator, my choice has been made for me.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Bub
    I picked up 3 of them from Optics Planet on sale for $20 each, refurbished, free shipping. That was about 5 yrs ago; all still going strong, no fiddling with zero adjustments- a good deal!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast