Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope for .22

Boolit Master
    Scopes are tough to choose from.
    Also note the higher magnification is not always going to help. Especially if you have vision problems. The resolution can be so poor on on high magX on cheaper scopes it can make your vision struggle.
    I have several 22 scoped rifles. Some of the most fun are in the 3x-9x 32mm objective. Zeroed for 75 yards and I can basically point and aim and hit anything 2.5" in from zero to 75 yards.
    I recently bought a Muller 8x32x44 tactical reticle scope and use it for 100/200 yard rim fire tactical fun.
    I will often mount my sightron 8x32x54 AO on my 22lr AR and shoot rim fire F class style at 200 yards. Silly nice scope
    Currently it's hard to dismiss my old gen Luey 2x8x32 duplex ret and a Bushnell sportview that's been great for many years.

Banned

simmons 4-12x44, savage mk II fv, boyds barracuda stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03354.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	204925

I am finally, after 50 years or so, gonna replace the scope on my Marlin Model 80 .22 LR.
    Some excellent advice & recommendations in this thread. Your decision to buy the Simmons is probably a good one & I'm sure it will enhance your shooting. But I'd like to make a general comment about .22's & scopes.

I'm somewhat surprised that most of us, myself included, treat .22's like they are sub-standard to other firearms. After all, they do make cheap ".22 scopes" with claw mounts thrown in for free. I too have a .22 I've owned for 50 years. Needless to say I'm not going to sell it, trade it or trash it soon. I hope to keep & shoot it the rest of my life time. I suggest for such treasured rifles you put a scope equivalent at least to what's on your deer rifle. Now that may be a Simmons & that is great. Personally, I like Leupold so that is what I put on my .22 realizing that it cost more than the original price of the little rifle. But that .22 is a joy to shoot every time I pick it up. Not a rant, just a thought - to each his own. Good shooting to you!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Banned
    I know very little about scopes. I was kind of forced to use a 1" tube scope on a Savage MK II because the base mount was for a standard 7/8" or 22 MM Weaver dovetail mount. My other 22's have either 3/8" dovetails or tip off type drilled and tapped holes.
    So I bought a Standard 1" tube scope for the gun. It is a Tasco Pronghorn model 3x9x32 with adjustable parallax. I have it dialed in for 50 yards and it seems to me to be vastly superior to the 4x Weaver, 6x Weaver and 4x7x20 Tasco 3/4" tube scopes I have been using on my other 22 rifles. My question is, as I said, I know very little about scopes... what are the disadvantages of using this Pronghorn 3x9 on my Savage MK II if any? I am not a champion shooter and never will be but like anyone else I like to hit the target as accurately and consistently as possible. P.S. I only shoot it at the range, don't hunt anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Some excellent advice & recommendations in this thread. Your decision to buy the Simmons is probably a good one & I'm sure it will enhance your shooting. But I'd like to make a general comment about .22's & scopes.

I'm somewhat surprised that most of us, myself included, treat .22's like they are sub-standard to other firearms. After all, they do make cheap ".22 scopes" with claw mounts thrown in for free. I too have a .22 I've owned for 50 years. Needless to say I'm not going to sell it, trade it or trash it soon. I hope to keep & shoot it the rest of my life time. I suggest for such treasured rifles you put a scope equivalent at least to what's on your deer rifle. Now that may be a Simmons & that is great. Personally, I like Leupold so that is what I put on my .22 realizing that it cost more than the original price of the little rifle. But that .22 is a joy to shoot every time I pick it up. Not a rant, just a thought - to each his own. Good shooting to you!
    Sometimes my wants over run my check book. In this case, being on fixed income, it's about all I can afford.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Joe, don't know if you looked at my recent thread but I went with a Barska 22 Plinker scope for my new used Savage 22. Not knowing anything about scopes I did a lot of reading in the forums I could find and the a lot of product reviews. Seems all 22 rimfire scopes have some sort of short coming and normal rifle scopes seem to have problems focusing down to the short 22 ranges.

I would have liked to put a Nikon or Leupold scope on it but the reviews I had read on this Barska scope were impressive. Everywhere I looked this scope was about $50.00 though for some reason Walmart had one in store for $25.00. Half price? Don't know why.

Like you being on a fixed income I couldn't pass it up for that price after the reviews I'd read. Now time will tell if it was a wise purchase.

I finally purchased a Simmons from Amazon yesterday. It will be here in a few days and I should know something soon. I know the rifle shoots where you point it. Sometimes I can't see well enough to point it to the same place.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    I have a few Simmons scopes on around, a Marlin 25 22LR, an RWS 24 .177 pellet rifle, a Marlin 336C 30-30. I have not put them on any hard kickers, I have had no problems with them holding zero and they are a very good value considering the price, far better than open sights for most eyes. Bigger scopes on light rifles tend to make handling awkward, the 3-9x32 is a nice sized scope for most rifles where good handling is important.

Joe, let us know how you like it.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12