RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Ruger LCR

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger LCR

Earlier this spring I bought a Ruger LCR in .327 federal, and have been having a blast shooting it all spring and summer. I began casting my own 120 grain SWC's, and have been amazed at the groups I shoot. The sight radius is so short, it feels weird pulling up at 50 yards, but more than once I walk up on a hand sized group. That is obviously from a rest, not offhand. I have been loading with bluedot, and I am getting about 950 fps out of the 1.8" barrel. Not bad at all. I am going to try some target loads with 700x soon enough.

My biggest problem has always been the sights. I shot XTP 100 grain bullets, and 120 grain SWC bullets, with H110, Bluedot, HS-6, Longshot, and probably a few other powders I've forgot. All of them shoot more or less to the same spot, and unfortunately, that is about 8-12" right at 25 yards. I have been shooting it by lining up the sights like normal, but aim about half way on the right side rear sight. It works, but it's been bothering me for a gun that was definitely not cheap. A while back I called Ruger about it and was told it would have to be sent in, which I figured. My worry is that it either A. will be returned with a note saying its within specs for a short range handgun. That and I'll be out shipping both ways, and a month or more without the gun. Or B. They decide to get me a new one, and I have to deal with serial numbers, FFL dealer, etc. and I just don't know about any of that. Instead, I have been thinking the same thing all along. The rear sight is definitely not adjustable, but why can't the front be? I actually questioned Ruger about getting an offset front sight. I was thinking of milling the left inside groove of the front site (not the gun), a little at a time until it shoots POA, then creating a shim to keep it in place. The idea seems easy enough, yet I can't find anything similar online. Looking down the gun from the front, which does not feel safe even with the cylinder open, the sights do not look to be off, or barrel misaligned/crooked, or anything else. I've had other shooters, both relatively new, and some very experienced shoot it. the POI is more or less the same. It's an interesting note that it shoots considerably right, even with right handed shooters, while I shoot it left handed.

My wife has a LCR in .357 Mag. with Crimson Trace grips. At 7 yards she can just about put every shot through the same hole. But when using the sights, it hits 2 inches low and 2 inches to the right with 125 grain JHP reloads. I agree with you, sure it's a close range revolver, but it would be nice if it hit to point of aim at 25 yds. in case she has a chance at a coyote. There's a roll pin through the front sight, so I wonder if a new sight could be made with an off-set to get it closer to POA.

Boolit Master

Try adjusting your trigger pull. Little guns are very sensitive to grip torque and trigger finger travel. Shooting right indicated your finger is too far across the trigger causing the gun to swing right during shot follow througb. For giggles, try shooting it with just the tip of the finger pad on the trigger. should move impact to the left, then just find the happy medium
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Since your gun is accurate & you enjoy it,,, I'd look at having a friend in a machine shop making a simple offset front sight. I can say it will not have to be too far offset,, as it takes very little to move POI a lot.
    I disagree with trying a different method of trigger finger placement,, as long as you are using a proper trigger finger placement to begin with. Motor memory skills (such as driving or shooting) should always be done the same way.

I have a Vaquero that shot away from PIA. I GENTLY milled the rear groove on one side to adjust the sight. Milled a LITTLE,,, test fired it. It took 2 tries to fix. My Vaquero is stainless so it was an easy job. A different front sight for your gun can fix things easily.

Boolit Buddy

They make after market sights for the LCR. Hi-Viz sight is the best.

Boolit Bub
    I've got the same 327 LCR. I love it for the good trigger and the ease of carrying. Mine is shooting high (mostly shooting heavy cast boolits though) but it is center of the target (not right or left). Above post is correct, there are a number of replacement sights and I've been considering getting a taller one. If Ruger thinks it should be sent back if it were mine i would definitely consider it, they usually make it right. My reasoning for sending it back is only because mine is not having the same problem as yours

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Earlier this spring I bought a Ruger LCR in .327 federal, and have been having a blast shooting it all spring and summer. I began casting my own 120 grain SWC's, and have been amazed at the groups I shoot. The sight radius is so short, it feels weird pulling up at 50 yards, but more than once I walk up on a hand sized group. That is obviously from a rest, not offhand. I have been loading with bluedot, and I am getting about 950 fps out of the 1.8" barrel. Not bad at all. I am going to try some target loads with 700x soon enough.

My biggest problem has always been the sights. I shot XTP 100 grain bullets, and 120 grain SWC bullets, with H110, Bluedot, HS-6, Longshot, and probably a few other powders I've forgot. All of them shoot more or less to the same spot, and unfortunately, that is about 8-12" right at 25 yards. I have been shooting it by lining up the sights like normal, but aim about half way on the right side rear sight. It works, but it's been bothering me for a gun that was definitely not cheap. A while back I called Ruger about it and was told it would have to be sent in, which I figured. My worry is that it either A. will be returned with a note saying its within specs for a short range handgun. That and I'll be out shipping both ways, and a month or more without the gun. Or B. They decide to get me a new one, and I have to deal with serial numbers, FFL dealer, etc. and I just don't know about any of that. Instead, I have been thinking the same thing all along. The rear sight is definitely not adjustable, but why can't the front be? I actually questioned Ruger about getting an offset front sight. I was thinking of milling the left inside groove of the front site (not the gun), a little at a time until it shoots POA, then creating a shim to keep it in place. The idea seems easy enough, yet I can't find anything similar online. Looking down the gun from the front, which does not feel safe even with the cylinder open, the sights do not look to be off, or barrel misaligned/crooked, or anything else. I've had other shooters, both relatively new, and some very experienced shoot it. the POI is more or less the same. It's an interesting note that it shoots considerably right, even with right handed shooters, while I shoot it left handed.
    If you ship it directly to them they can ship it directly back to you (unless your state has laws to the contrary) even if it's a replacement with a different serial number. I know some will argue that point; all I can say is look it up. I did.
    I would call them first and see if they will send you a shipping label; even if you have to pay for it, it will be cheaper than shipping it without an account.

Boolit Grand Master

That's good to know about the serial number thing. Not that it's a big deal, just that I'd rather spend a Saturday shooting, not figuring out bureaucratic paper work. Minnesota has plenty of weird laws, but it's no New York.

As for my shooting form, I'd consider myself average, but I've purposefully tried to shoot it wrong. I've tried shooting with the trigger on my finger tip, and my second knuckle. I've even tried purposefully holding the gun crooked. I've shot it plenty off good sand bags too, with no joy.

Doing some math, with a 3.75" sight radius, moving the front sight just under .040" would move POI 10" at 25 yards. I'm thinking I'll start with .020". I have access to a Bridgeport, and plenty off tooling, so I will be doing this myself.

I looked all over for a new front sight, and that's what lead to calling Ruger. There are plenty of options out there, but none are offset right or left. I really like the sights on the gun, the front is angled so it doesn't catch clothes, and points naturally. The only thing I changed is I painted the white spot, orange.

For defense against those with 2 legs, it's fine. You can't really justify a shot on a person measured in yards. I am more likely to use it against animals. I spend enough time in bear territory, and even deer will mess you up. I'd also gladly take out any coyote I see. More than that, I just shoot targets. It's not really a "target" gun, but it's just so much fun.

Boolit Master

h ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ETA
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    If you ship it directly to them they can ship it directly back to you (unless your state has laws to the contrary) even if it's a replacement with a different serial number. I know some will argue that point; all I can say is look it up. I did.
    I would call them first and see if they will send you a shipping label; even if you have to pay for it, it will be cheaper than shipping it without an account.
    They can ship your gun to you after repair, but a replacement with a new serial number will require it being sent to an FFL, with all attendant fees and registration paperwork. That is exactly what I went through with my Ruger American, which had not been properly chambered. Ruger chose to replace my rifle, rather than correct the fault, which made me have to pay for the fees to register the new rifle.

However, your plan to adjust the point of impact by milling and shimming the tenon of the front sight is absolutely practical and easily done. I did it on a Ruger Service 6 with a file, a drill and a piece of aluminum can.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-30-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I installed an XS Std Dot Tritium front sight on my LCR357. It shoots to the center at 25 yards with +P level 158 grn. SWC cast reloads. Good sights for a great handgun.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the advice. I would just rather leave sending the gun off as a last resort. I was just curious why off-setting the front sight isn't more common on fixed sight guns. I certainly don't expect this gun to be a bench rest 50+ yard gun, but I would at least like it to shoot within a couple inches at 25 yards. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I found an end mill small enough, so I should have it milled out in no time.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately you can only take off about .030" before it cuts through. I took it to .035" and will try it. I have a feeling it will just have to be sent to Ruger.

I wonder if the barrel is misaligned.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately, you have to mill out the sight too much. I went until it was cutting through, but the rounded corners (I used an 1/8" end mill) made is so it would not move over enough. I put a brand new sight on it, and will be sending it to Ruger. It was worth a shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    I installed an XS Std Dot Tritium front sight on my LCR357. It shoots to the center at 25 yards with +P level 158 grn. SWC cast reloads. Good sights for a great handgun.
    that's a good looking sight, I've been using white out on my front sight to make it easier to see. Is it just a roll pin holding it in? I'm going to look at swapping mine out when I get home this weekend.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    that's a good looking sight, I've been using white out on my front sight to make it easier to see. Is it just a roll pin holding it in? I'm going to look at swapping mine out when I get home this weekend.
    It's a rollpin that holds it in. A simple quick installation. Let us know what you think about it after you shoot it.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    It's a rollpin that holds it in. A simple quick installation. Let us know what you think about it after you shoot it.
    Will be a few weeks, need to order the sight first then have enough free time to actually get it installed and range trip . I've got plenty of downtime at the office but I'm required butt in seat and remote from the house.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!