MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: WTB/WTT Russian SKS

Boolit Buddy

WTB/WTT Russian SKS

After passing on these guns at $100 at gun shows countless times over the years, I've decided that I should buy an SKS that still has some life left in it just for some fun. Preferably a Russian made model from the early 1950s. I have a complete AR-15 Anderson receiver M4 5.56mm NATO carbine lower with stock to trade plus cash. The lower was test fired only. Somebody PLEASE talk me out of this pending mistake...

own two Russians and would never part with either. i also own a AR. so why do you want to trade your AR for a SKS? keep your AR and find a SKS. the Russians are getting premium dollars. i bought both of my SKS's back in 1989 for $89.00 apiece. good luck with your search.
    Rick

Boolit Master

For the price of the Russian SKSs at most gunshows I encounter (this weekend's Indy 1500 Gunshow), it is cheaper to buy or build an AR15 upper in 7.62x39, get dies, and reloading components and 3 magazines and will be more accurate than the used SKS.

That said, I'm still kicking myself for letting both my Chinese Factory 26 made SKS go away a few years back.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    JKREM

PM sent about a SKS parts kit I have that is near complete with good receiver.
    Wouldn't be looking for your whole AR in a trade but I have to many kits to build and will probably never get to this one.
    Maybe you have some stuff we could trade for besides a complete AR.

Let me know either way.

Rich

Boolit Master

I have one of the Russian SKSs. They really appear nicer than the Chinese ones. A lot more machined parts whereas the Chinese ones are stamped parts. I bought mine back when they were around $100-125, IIRC.

Banned
    I prefer my AR15's simply because I can make my own ammo easily. I've never seen any reloadable AK brass. What I have seen is generally steel or corrosive. If I'm going to stoot something I don't want to be purchasing the ammo in a can at a inflated price.

Boolit Master
    I won't talk you out of it. I bought a Tula Arsenal, 1953, Laminated Stock, back in 1997, for $160.00. I wish I had bought several.

Boolit Master
    The Russians have been around 500 bucks in my parts. The prices of all skss have gone up alot. Even the China made export models are fetching 350 these days. Good luck on your search

I bought a Chinese Norinco back in the late 80's 1200 rounds of ammo ($89)cost more than the rifle. You won't be wasting time with either...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They are fun guns, however, what is your age? As you get older you'll find iron sight more and more challenging to use. With an SKS there isn't an easy fix to the scope mount question. Your best option would be the Choat type mount that is drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver. I know there are options for the dust cover but they all stink. There is another option that mounts in place of the rear sight from brass stacker and others, if you want a scout mount. They run $100. What make's the SKS cool is the stripper clips and its almost impossible to use them with a scope. With the box magazine you will need to have it altered to take an AK type mag if you are so inclined. I have a Chinese model that I can shoot baseball size groups with at 100 yards with my Tech sights, however, it's getting harder and harder to see. So what is the option. Get an AR upper. Problems solved. All the benefits of the SKS went away when they started to get into the $400 range. IMHO.

Boolit Buddy
    Still looking!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Still looking!
    You're low post count, haven't been on the board for that long, and you don't put your location in your profile. I would suggest that you probably should not hold your breath. This is something that many people prefer to do face-to-face, not through an FFL holder.

Buds gun shop or gunbroker. I have used both in the past with no problems.

For gunbroker I have a strict rule, if they don't take the time to take and post at least 4 pictures I don't want to deal with them. Guys who post a gun with a single picture get ignored by me.

The guys that take the time to take lots of pictures, write up a good description have been in my experience decent to work with.

289 listed in Gun broker as of the time I posted this from 499$ Norinco Chinese models to 1400$ russian models.

Let your fingers do the walking.

Boolit Master