MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationPBcastco
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: How old is this one?

How old is this one?

Got this sealed tin of HIVEL in a purchase last week. Thought someone might be able to date it and tell me about it. At least might spark a trip down memory lane.

Some kegs Herco, Unique, and Bullseye of days gone buy. Still available but not in these packages.

Also found some sealed Hogdon HS-7 not as old but still a little scarce.

Thanks
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_2510.jpg   101_2511.jpg  
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Boolit Master
    Tred1956,according to Sharpe's book, this powder was introduced in 1908, and I believe replaced in 1965 with 3 new Hercules powders, Reloder 7, 11, and 22. The Reloder series was then dropped in 1971, and then revived again several years later. The first Reloder series powders had the same style cans so I think your HIVEL can would be of the last years of production. I have a couple sealed cans I would dearly love to experiment with,as this powder was so popular, but I just can't yet tear off that metal seal!

Boolit Master

I have one of those square cans marked HIVEl 2. It is Red, White and black banded and in the white band say Military Rifle Powder. I wish I could do pictures. It came from my uncle who started me reloading around 1958 or 59 (memory getting bad). Soo I figure this can was bought by him about t same time. It is about half full of powder. I would like to have some of those old square cans but people want too much for them when they come up for sale. james

Banned
    Buy the powder can book(s) by Tom Rowe.

I have a full can of Hercules reloader 11 No longer made and don't have any info for its use in my calibers. Even called manufacturer and neither did they. It is full and unopened. I would assume it is still good, it shakes and moves in the can like normal powder.

I got a life time supply of Win 630 at action. No one bid on it. Got a sealed kegs at $4.50. Am loading 45Colt 44sp and 45/70 cast bullet loads with it. When unsealed it has the strong smell of new powder and shoots fine.
    I think powder will last years if stored properly. This 630 came out of deceased trap shooters estate. The common powders sold as high as in store. I think a lot of guys didn't know what it was or knew it was obsolete and didn't want to chance that it was degraded.

Boolit Master
    GONRA saves what 630P (must be similar to 630?) I have left for 7.62mm Tokarev and .44 AutoMag pistol loading.

Boolit Master
    HiVel 2 was the first powder I bought to load for my Marlin 30-30 - 1964/1965, had that can with the pop-top lid, don't miss those pop-top lids though I liked HiVel 2. I switched to 3031 when no longer available, now Accurate 2015.

Not sure when they started using them, but those cans of Unique, Herco, and Bullseye
    were packaged like that- and had been for awhile when I was buying them new in the 1980's.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Oh man... I would love to get ahold of that much HS7. Really like it in heavy 10mm and in 41 mag heavy loads that are not quite magnum levels.