Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my best so far clay pigeon shooting.

Did my best so far clay pigeon shooting.

Me and my buddy "Bobcatandy" went out and did some clay pigeon killing the other day, and I did the best i'd ever done. 50 straight. We were using a tire mounted thrower that throws them out straight, but they'll curve and we were throwing them in the cedars to make it more fun. I normally miss a couple out of 25.

I was using my worn out 870 early express 12 gauge modified choke, But I also gave andy's new 20 gauge express with IC ( i think) a few rounds.

Proud of that one, figured id share.

Anyone else like to kill the non eatable but fun clay birds?

~Bazoo

I used to shoot two rounds of skeet every weekend. Good way to tune up before dove season. After my second grandchild is born my daughter wants to get back to shooting skeet with me on the weekends.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy

Clays is a fun game that you don't have to get up early for or clean dead animals when you're done! You done good with the 50 straight If you want to really have fun, find a sporting clays range and try that - 99% of those folks will welcome a newbie to the game.

Thanks buzz. It would be fun to go to a club and try a wider variation of angles and distances and speeds. It'd be double sweet if I was able to whoop those with 1000.00 shotguns with a beat up old 870 I got for 200 bucks.

Boolit Buddy

Don't knock the "$1,000" shotgun crowd. Now a days that is on the low end. I shot my first 25 straight in skeet with an 870 - little older and slower now so a semi helps with those quick doubles in sporting clays. Bottom line is - it's the Indian, NOT the arrow! (or bow in this case) Keep at it!

Boolit Bub
    I use to shoot trap with a guy that used a $150 pump Mossberg 12 gauge. He did everything "wrong", but still could shoot 23 - 25 every round. He stood straight up and shouldered that gun as if it were a rifle. (Just like obama) Shot the hell out of that gun and gave it away to a youth gun club each year. Bought himself another one for the next season.

I use a Remington 3200, paid $900 for it about 30 years ago. Those guns are built like a $&!# brick house. I bet I have 90,000+ rounds through it.

Before I settled on a 1969 Remington 1100 Pawn Shop rescue I used a $250 Yildiz over and under quite handily. Shot my first 24 in skeet with it, still working on the 25.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Friends and I shoot several rounds of skeet every week and a few more boxes at an informal range. 50 straight at any variation of clay targets is something to be proud of. Sporting clays is also a great game and usually has a great variety of target presentations, some can be a real challenge. Try it and post your score. My first score was 19 out of 50 but I had a ball!

Love clay birds. Nothing beats a fast moving target for fun.

Me and Andy were talking about doing some variation with the setup we have. We'd both love to go to a club and do it, if it wasnt too expensive to do. Im pretty confident, I magine I could handle it pretty good.

Boolit Buddy

Around here, Kansas, about $35 will get you a 100 targets. IF you have an NSCA range near you see when they have a registered shoot. You can enter in "hunter" class without being a NSCA member and will get to see some 'tougher' tournament targets. Be careful, it is addicting!

We did some more the other day and out of 65, i missed 3. To my credit, we were throwing in the cedars and letting them curve around trees when they would. It was real neat hitting them between the trees.

Well, I got a copy of the gun digest book of shotgunning by marty fischer. I read it in a couple days and gave it to Andy as gift. I definitely think Andy and I will both get better.

Shot at Castlewood Rod and Gun today. 50 rounds of Sporting Clays was $12.00 for a member and cart rental was $4.00. My score was 37 of which I was pleased. Lots of fun and laughs!

Boolit Buddy

$24 per 100 - that is a great price. As you said, lots of fun and you don't even have to clean the birds!

Boolit Mold
    I see, so clay shooting is the most convenient way to get into the hobby, eh? Thanks for this, guys!

It's addicting...

short of full on Sporting Clays you have

Trap
    Skeet
    5 stand
    Helios

Then you can get into the variants...

Boolit Buddy

For a challenge... F.I.T.A.S.C.

Range here has some throwers, I go when the wind is gusty to get better practice. It's pretty easy if you get them on the rise, dropping is tough. Want to try 5 stand for better dove hunts.
    Whatever!

I do a combination of both getting them on the rise, at the apex, and on the drop. I like getting them on the drop the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast