RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did my best so far clay pigeon shooting.

Way back in the 50's a friend and I welded up a trap thrower that did a very servicible job..ugly and dangerous but it worked...Loved to shot clay birds with it and got fairly good with it. think I had a Model 12 field grade by that time (up grade from my old 97). used it for practice for ducks and pheasants.... Have not shot any shotgun for years and years...was cleaning out a relatives house after his death and there in the closet was an absolutely like new 11-48 Sportsman Remington semi automatic with a modified choke...Not a scratch or a spot of rust on it...shone like new...is pinned for 3 rounds of 12 ga. 2 3/4"
    I'd been helping to clean out the mess and my wife was the executor...I asked if I might have the old shotgun as sort of payment for labor cleaning and of course she said sure.
    I was warned not to shoot steel in it so got some #7 1/2 shot in a field load and loaded it up (cleaned and checked it all over first...perfect condition).....I'm rusty as heck but it does a beautiful job and I think I'm going to enjoy just doing some clay shooting..way too old to hunt but think I can shoot trap and possibly skeet with it.....we'll see

Banned
    opos - The Remington 11-48 was a GREAT gun! It is a long recoil design like a Browning Auto-5 or Remington Model 11 but it was less expensive to manufacture. A friend of mine had one and for many years it was one of the best affordable semi-auto shotguns you could find. When you look at a Remington 870, you can see the influence of the 11-48.

It always amazes me the way some folks think an expensive pipe that launches shot can break targets better than a cheap pipe that launches shot. The difference isn't that smooth bore tube device but rather how long that device remains serviceable. If the gun fits you and works, you will do fine until the gun breaks and needs to be replaced. The man that shoots the same shotgun for 40 years will be always be better than the man that changes shotguns every 6 months.

You don't buy an expensive shotgun because it breaks clay targets better than a cheap shotgun (it doesn't); you buy an expensive shotgun because the gun itself DOESN'T break !

Beware of the man with one gun - He probably knows how to use it !
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-21-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Well said, Petrol & Powder.

I've done a lot of clay shooting with various guns. I started with a combination of a 20 gauge NEF, a remington 870 express, and an old H&R 410 single when I was 18/19. 34 Now. The 410 was not really safe to shoot, so I sold it. The others I got pretty good with. Lost the NEF in the house fire 3 years ago, and traded the 870 off a long time back.

I've owned a couple mossbergs, and I didnt like the feel of them as good as the 870. I could hit with them though no problem. A friend I shoot with has one, and we always try each others a few times during our shooting. I have shot a zoli O/U marked sears that a friend has, and it shot wonderfully for me. Another friend has a remington 870 express 20 gauge, and it does good. I've also shot a few rounds with an auto 5 in 16 gauge, it was okay. The a.Zoli felt the best, and the 870 second best to me so thats the way I went. Awful hard to beat a 870 for versatility and durability.

Banned
    The 870 is an amazing piece of American engineering. It has been in continuous production since 1950 with over 11 million made. Despite the fact that it is relatively inexpensive, it has proven to be both reliable and durable. While there's no such thing as a "universal" shotgun that fits everyone, the 870 seems to fit a large cross section of people.
    Remington really hit a home run with the 870. They found that near perfect combination of durability, price point, ergonomics and reliability. While people complain about the fit and finish of the newer 870 models (and those criticism are valid) the 870 always manages to work. A 2015 870 Express doesn't look as good as a mid 1960's Wingmaster, but the 870 DNA is in there!

Remington came out with new designs after WWII and captured a huge segment of the market. The lower price point of Remington's post war products was a key part of that business strategy. The 11-48 (replacement for the model 11 designed in 1948, hence the name) was one of the first of those lower price point guns. You can see the influence of that design in the lines of the 870, 1100 and 11-87 shotguns that followed. In terms of ergonomics, Remington really hit the sweet spot with that receiver and stock profile.

I can do pretty good with my buddies mossberg, but the stock dont fit as good and the grip is too fat. Its more work to shoot well with, were as the 870 points and feels right to me. I can only imagine how well i'd shoot with one, if I had it professionally fitted to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12