Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beehive Deer Hunt

Boolit Master

Beehive Deer Hunt

Utah is known as the Beehive state but they also have some of the finest hunting in the western US. One of my sons' father in law has 10,000 acres & he gets some land owner tags each year for both deer & antelope. I was offered 4 of them this year but only took 2, one of each. These are antlerless tags & the hunts run about three & a half months.
    I had a deer tag last year & seen lots of deer but waited to long & the snow got deep & I couldn't get to them, my mistake! Anyway, this year I decided to go earlier although it's been very hot. The drive is about 115 miles & I arrived about 7:30, hoping to catch the antelope heading for a big reservoir he has on the property. I've only been there a couple of times & his land is pretty scattered so I wasn't exactly sure where it was at.
    As I headed down a long dirt road & then turned onto another dirt road I started following a pretty little stream & then started seeing several deer, yikes, change of plans! I had wanted to shoot an antelope with my scoped 357 Maximum & then hopefully fill the other tag with my old flat top 44 magnum. I originally was going to take the Bisley 41 but it gets quite a bit of work & the OM 44 flat top hadn't stretched it legs for a while so it was a last minute change of plans.
    When I stopped all the heads came up & I grabbed the 357 Maximum & went around the back of the truck, the tail gate was down because my 4 wheeler is too long to fit so I had a place to steady my left elbow, a real key to shooting a sixgun from the standing postion. Every deer was getting ready to run & although I wanted to shoot a dry doe there really wasn't time to be picky, I singled out a big doe that was a bit separated from the other 13-14 in the group, lined up from a center lung shot & lit the switch. She stumbled & run 10 yds or so & then stopped & did kind of a jump in the air. I thumbed back the hammer on the 10 1/2" Ruger & sent another 200 grs of lead poison her way.
    Just as I broke the shot she made another one of those little jumps & I hit her lower in the leg & clipped her brisket. The shot broke the leg & she ran 10-15 yds & went down. The problem now was, she was across the stream so I had to take off my trusty Croc's & socks, & use my walking stick to balance me as I sank in the deep mud on each side of the bank.

Now I had to get her across the stream & the best way to do that is to not gut them until you reach the other side. I had to float her down stream about 150 yds & then pull her out of the sticky mud, I was sinking over a foot each step once I got to the other side. Then I walked back & got my 4 wheeler & drove down to get her but she was too heavy to load so I had to gut her first & then I loaded her & rode the 4 wheeler right up into the truck.
    Shade is really hard to find in this area, there are almost no trees & I drove for 6-7 miles & ran into a guy from Nevada taking a dip in the stream & he took a photo of me standing next to my truck. Then I drove another 5-6 miles to an old abandoned farm house that had one small shade tree & I boned the meat there & put it in the coolers.

Last edited by sixshot; 08-29-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Banned
    good shootin'!!!!

Banned

I was gonna ask if you had your croc's on...

I bet that creek was a lot warmer than the upper Blackfoot was when Littlegirl got her Buck on the other side of that a couple of years ago...

Banned

Looks like a real nice place.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shot. That landscape is so foreign to me. I can't imagine a place w/ no trees.

Boolit Master

Hunt

Great post, and great guns . Thanks for posting .

Coming soon: Sixshot signature tactical crocks. Always enjoy your posts.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Nice post and pics!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Great post and pictures.

Can you give me some details of the scope mount on your Ruger?
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

sixshot thanks for a good hunting story and the nice pictures. Your 357 maximum did the job. Good meat. You waited too long last time, but got right with it for this hunt. Looks like you will have very successful season. I can't quite make out the holster maker. I do like your set-up. Looks like a cross draw configuration. I am wanting something like that for my .44 Vaquero. Looks comfortable and almost as importantly it looks like it makes deployment of the revolver quick. I don't have a scope on my Ruger, but I can see the advantage to having one.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master
    ah yes living the dream good shooting and great adventures Dick
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

You do have a way with words! Nice shot.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Congratulations. Beautiful country, lucky to have water. Great story telling too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! The shot was exactly 90 yds & the hole you can see is the exit, she was facing to my right when I popped her. I have really tender feet & this wasn't something I planned on but I really didn't have any choice but to float her down stream & then pick her up with the 4 wheeler so it worked out ok.
    About 3 hours after this I had a shot at an antelope but she slammed it into passing gear just as I took the shot. There were 6 of them & she stopped just for a split second at about 60 yds & the others ran past her. I didn't dare shoot because there was one little 10" buck in the bunch so I had to wait just long enough & she broke hard & I shot right behind her.
    Probably just as well, it was 98 degrees & I was totally wiped out after boning out the deer, if I would have nailed her I probably would still be down there, face down in the field with a boning knife in my hands. I'll go back in the next couple of days & try again. I drank 2 bottles of water & almost a gallon of ice tea & still couldn't keep hydrated.
    Here is a 3 shot group I shot with the 10 1/2" 357 Maximum using the 200 gr. gas checked LBT's two days before I left, this is at 100 yds. The shoulder holster is the Signature series by Mike Barranti, they are serial numbered. I have #1 & I think the other is #6, they are amazing!

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    great shooting Dick
    little to warm for me to think about hunting
    but given the chance I most certainly would
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Very nice sir.Good shooting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned

I don't think Dick mentioned it.
    but if I remember correctly these are powder coated bullets.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lamar, I sort of did, on the target I have pc black. I normally always use Harbor Freight Red but for some reason I paint some with Smoke's black from time to time. Funny thing is, I think they shoot different, haven't actually taken the time to prove it yet but I "think" the 2 paints shoot to a different point. One of these days I'll take the time to find out for sure.
    This doe couldn't tell the difference, it turned her lights out pretty quick.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Sixshot may I inquire about your holster? #2 son has a Raging bull with a scope on it and he NEEDS a holster. Local holster maker has no idea how to build one. Firm in San diego may be able to come up with one. Wonder who made your's? Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast