RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: WTB receiver sight for older ruger 44 mag carbine (44rs)

Boolit Buddy

WTB receiver sight for older ruger 44 mag carbine (44rs)

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a receiver sight for an older model ruger 44 magnum carbine. This is the model 44RS rifle, which has a slot for a receiver sight milled into the left vertical side of the receiver.

I know there are new sights available that mount on top of the receiver or that require drilling and tapping to side mount, but I'm looking specifically for the old style that fits directly into the slot in the side of the receiver.

I have already contacted williams and lyman, they both used to make one but don't have anything that would work for it anymore. I don't know the specific model numbers of the sights they used to make, unfortunately.

If anyone has one you are willing to part with please let me know what you want for it. I know they aren't easy to find.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of another sight that would fit in this milled dovetail and work appropriately I would be very glad to have that info.

Thanks,
    Andy

here is a link to a photo of the sight I'm looking for: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kQnns5sOIy...e%2BSearch.jpg

I hate to admit it, but fleabay has one from time to time.

Boolit Master

You need the slide of the sight, it came with it. It was made by Williams if I recall right. Try Gun Parts and all the other parts supplies. I doubt if the owners now of Williams have a clue.

Next you need to try slides from several old Williams sights to find one that works.

Want to sell the gun if it functions?

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the tips guys, I've kept an eye on ebay but I only see ones that come with a side mount that needs to be drilled and tapped into the receiver.

The rep at williams told me the sight for this particular rifle used a different width dovetail than the above type, and different from their normal dovetail sizes (made to ruger's specs) and said it would be very unlikely for me to find another sight that worked with it as a result. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and was helpful, said they come up on ebay from time to time but other than that are very hard to find. Lyman pointed me toward 3 collectors who might have one but none of them did unfortunately.

Numrich and all the other main parts places I've checked don't have this.

Gun is not mine unfortunately, wish it was as it goes up to the shoulder really nice and is all original in really nice shape.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of those carbines with the factory receiver sight, not going to sell mine but if it would help I could take some measurements. Maybe you could mill one of the ones that are designed to drill and tap the receiver. Otherwise, these have become rare and it would be very hard to find an original sight.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy

historicfirearms I would be very, very glad to have those measurements of the sight. I've got the rifle on hand and have a mill so if I had all the measurements i'm sure I could make something work right if I could find a modern sight with a larger dovetail than needed to trim down. Thanks a lot for offering to do that, that may be the ticket here.

If you are able to give me dovetail thickness, dovetail small width, dovetail large width and vertical length of the dovetailed portion (vertical leg of sight) I can figure out the rest. I know I could infer some of these right off the rifle but I would be very happy to have numbers off the actual sight before taking a risk with modifying an expensive sight. I would also like to make it look as "original" as possible so copying the correct sight off measurements is a big plus to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I may have one.
    Let me hunt for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Found it.
    It's marked 44RM not RS.
    Not sure if they are the same.
    Attachment 202890Attachment 202891Attachment 202892Attachment 202893

Boolit Grand Master
    Midway has the same one in stock.

Boolit Master
    Try Jack First Gun Shop in South Dakota. They often have odd,, older Ruger parts. Just an idea.

Boolit Buddy

abunaitoo thanks but that's the one where you have to drill and tap the receiver, according to williams they use a different dovetail size than the ones that fit right in the rifle receiver (I haven't confirmed that personally).

Jack First was the second place I checked after numrich since they do seem to have a good supply of uncommon stuff, but no luck there either unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas though guys, sooner or later something will turn up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thought the slide would be the same size, but that would be to easy.
    Measure the dovetail on the rifle and I can measure the one I have.
    Never know, might just be the same.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just for your reference the dovetail is 0.500 and 0.600 narrow to large.

Boolit Buddy

abunaitoo thanks, those measurements for the dovetail on the sight do line up nearly exactly with the ones on the rifle, so maybe the rep at williams was mistaken about it not being the same. Are you looking to sell yours?

Boolit Bub
    Andy,
    I don't think it is so much the dovetail as it is the width of the top of the sight. The one that abunaitoo has mounts on the outside of the receiver and yours is dovetailed into the receiver. I've got one like yours with the correct sight. I'll try and measure it tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never thought about the centering.
    It does look a little different from your picture.
    Total width is 1.650
    Dovetail width is 0.137
    From inside of dovetail to center of sight is 0.762
    Height of dovetail to cross bar is 0.500

Boolit Buddy

Thanks VA jim, that's a great point and you saved me making that mistake

Boolit Bub
    Hi Andy,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I measured the sight on my Ruger. It is 1.263 wide. Hope this will help.