Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Houston Flood

Boolit Master

Can't help directly but can keep praying.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Update:

Water going down at the house,still raining and will do so for 2 more days. Got the miller 225 welder hooked up for lights and freezer power so good to go for at least 4 more days with fuel. Will make a fuel run in a day or so.

The Lord has protected Us with little more than a few inconvinences. The freeway at Dickinson is still under water. My freind and his wife and son rescued folks with their boats from the second story homes. They have set their home up as a shelter for a few families.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Vendor Sponsor

Prayers sent that you and yours make it through ok
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    We are 90 miles North of Houston and so far only had 16 inches of rain. The Postal Service announced they are suspending all mail into and out of our zip code until further notice.

Only 16 inches! It's coming your way, more in next two to three days. I Pray it runs off fast.

Boolit Grand Master

I suppose we've all seen the incredible amounts of water in Houston but the city and bayous were meant to handle a huge amount of water....just not this much. My family in the area is all on dry ground so far but they all know folks who have sustained losses, some considerable.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Been through several hurricanes,but never with that amount of rain.As my Dad used to say,look out for Noah`s Ark.Be safe all you fine folks.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    We are 90 miles North of Houston and so far only had 16 inches of rain. The Postal Service announced they are suspending all mail into and out of our zip code until further notice.
    dg, we are NW of Houston, near Lake Somerville. The official NOAA rain gauge located on the Somerville dam, recorded just over 21 inches, which is about what we unofficially measured here on the ranch.

We lost Internet service for a couple of days and have two nearby bridges temporarily closed.

We also received word that our U.S. mail service will be suspended till further notice.

Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    My wife's second cousin had water right to the threshold of his Houston home, then it receded.

Boolit Bub
    I had to make a quick trip down this past weekend yes Harvey was letting the area get hammered. At my mothers house north of Silsbee Tx she got a lot of rain some areas got more some less. Some houses got flooded in low areas. To put this in prospective for the people in the northeast the area that is being flooded is from the poconos out to Long Island Ny. Houston got the brunt of it but other places are being flooded. Glad to see w5pv fairing well from it my prays go out to everyone that is down their.

Boolit Master

Yep round three has started at least they think this is the last landfall for Harvey. FM2373, is flooded running water across the road our power has been in and out a few times today very heavy rainfall now my gauge only goes to 5 inches. Which topped out about 1600 today starting to worry about wind damage,many trees falling
    Good luck guys
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xbeeman412 View Post
    Channel 11 KHOU has shut down due to water in the studio
    Yeah, I saw that. Kind of makes me wonder why I should be paying any attention to the weather predictions of a station that located themselves in a flood-prone area.

Was watching several live leads this AM...one with the Houston Mayor and Police Chief among others in a news conference. It was filled with accolades for each other and the Mayor is trying to soft shoe things. He is responsible for NOT having early evacuations, telling the Governor that this evacuation effort would be 'nonsensical'...recently they found a child cold and shivering and clinging to his drowned Mother, heart wrenching reports.
    Houston and surrounding area will be years trying to recover, would imagine the big story coming in the forthcoming weeks will be about insurance companies dodging flood insurance policies.
    Addicks dam is releasing water when they can but it puts folks around Katy, one of which is our member here, Dragonheart...I haven't heard from him yet. Other levies around the Brazos and East San Bernard are at maximum...they expect the water to rise to 34.5' this afternoon/evening. That's, I think around 5' over the red flood stage.

I remember hurricanes we had there, I lived on the west side of Houston near Katy...Back in the day when we had meteorologist actually forecasting the warnings, none of this confusing computer modeling and they didn't hold the information back and were stern with their broadcasts...they didn't soft-shoe the forecast or news reports, they gave it to you full force, I think that drove home the urgency to get out of the way. People used to shelter in place and had 'hurricane parties' as the storms would pass...many of these people died from that.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

The Feds are the one who back the flood insurance policies. They were $25 billion short before Harvey hit. And Trump has been proposing cuts to if. Going to be interesting to say the least.

Boolit Master

We have blue skies today and the water is down on the streets that I drove through. There were still a bunch of abandoned cars that made it more difficult to get through since they were abandoned in the *shallow* part of the road.

Here's the retention pond behind my house. It's normally about 20 ft lower than this.

Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Banned
    I was thinking about the Monsoons, but yeah, that too.

She musta've been in a big hurry...forgot to put her pants on! . . .

Boolit Master
    theres just sumthin about long legs and rubber boots make this bush bunny go HMMMMMMM. come to think of it I'll bet they even look good in full chest waders HMMMMMM darn I hope it starts to rain here

Boolit Grand Master

One thing they learned during a storm awhile back is that it's impossible to "evacuate" the Houston metro area. The evacuation process itself cost lives. Trying to get over 6 million people on the roads out of town is a sure-fire recipe for instant gridlock. Just everyday traffic often results in hours of gridlock. Then you have to figure out where to shelter them. Good luck with that, D/FW area is expecting 10-20,000 and that will take no small expenditure of resources. Lives lost during Harvey so far have for the most part been in vehicles although some casualties will undoubtedly be found in buildings as the waters recede and recovery operations commence. Best plan is to be prepared with food, water and other supplies and shelter in place.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

They didn't have to move 6 million people...all they had to do was concentrate on the low areas, that's no secret as they flood every time.
    Just ask an insurance company where the low areas are...Houston's Mayor dropped the ball on this one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast