Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rem 700 ADL 30-06....some reloads not chambering

Boolit Buddy
    Crimp backed entirely off?

Boolit Master
    You need to look again at your Hornady Tool because if your's measures correctly it will be the first one ever manufactured that did.
    Your calibration using 2.000" is a false calibration. If you check the inside edge of each bushing bore you will find a edge break (chamfer). That chamfer causes approximately .003 to .005 error in your gage that you cannot detect without a gunsmith head space gage. Use a magnifying glass to view your bushings and you will find the chamfer that causes the error.
    It is obvious from reading your posts that you have little knowledge or experience with gages and instrumentation. Therefore it is nearly impossible to get you to examine your bushings carefully. When you use a gunsmith's gage to set your Hornady tool the mystery error that you cannot detect is removed. Until you do that you are running around mis-measuring everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    EDG

That's too bad about your Stoney Point......mine on the other hand measures as precisely as the calipers it's put on. On the calipers I use it is precise because when mounted I calibrate it to 2.000" when the caliper is closed on the Stoney Point. My C bushing measures .375" at the opening (pin gauged) so when a 30-06 case is measured it stops on the .375 datum line of that case. 2.000" is then subtracted from the length measured which gives the cartridge headspace measurement to the .375 datum line on the shoulder. Additionally, the calipers I use have been checked against pin gauges of various diameters and certified gauges of various lengths.

We should note here the Stoney Point (Hornady) tool measures cartridge case headspace (fired or unfired). Gunsmiths headspace gauges measure chamber headspace. The cartridge headspace should be less than chamber headspace. SAAMI also lists cartridge diagrams with cartridge headspace measurement. That measurement always has a +/- which should be considered, especially when comparing such against the measurements (+/-) of chamber dimensions. I have measured the headspace of numerous go, no-go and field chamber gauges with my Stoney Point and they measure correct as long as the same datum line is used.

CIP has a "Delta L" problem with some cartridges because they lump several similar cartridges under one designated drawing; the 7.65 Mauser is a good example. However, the OP is concerned about the 30-06 which does not have Delta L problem when SAAMI spec are used.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-15-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You need to look again at your Hornady Tool because if your's measures correctly it will be the first one ever manufactured that did.
    Your calibration using 2.000" is a false calibration. If you check the inside edge of each bushing bore you will find a edge break (chamfer). That chamfer causes approximately .003 to .005 error in your gage that you cannot detect without a gunsmith head space gage. Use a magnifying glass to view your bushings and you will find the chamfer that causes the error.
    It is obvious from reading your posts that you have little knowledge or experience with gages and instrumentation. Therefore it is nearly impossible to get you to examine your bushings carefully. When you use a gunsmith's gage to set your Hornady tool the mystery error that you cannot detect is removed. Until you do that you are running around mis-measuring everything.
    Ouch, reminds me of the sister's giving a ruler slap on the back of the hand to get your attention.

This is a sincere request, how about making a detailed video showing the issue with the Hornady Tool and explain how folks can misread their measurements because of it then post a link to it here, it could really help a lot of folks including myself. I have one of the Hornady Tools I bought last year, I've only tinkered with it so far.

If you don't have a youtube channel and rather not create one I'd me more then happy to host it for you and give you complete credit for it, you can add a statement in the video at the beginning and ending that you created the video and I'm only posting it for you. I only have one video on my channel, being an old mechanic I got a real kick out of this old joke I found. Here's my channel, hope it brings a smile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSi-yCV-gQ4

I mentioned I've only tinkered with the Hornady Tool, it's been a long time since I've reloaded but I'll be back at it later this month. Due to a accident and years of recovery I haven't been plinking, competing or hunting for some years but this year I'm getting back out into the woods for both small and big game seasons. Soon I'll be gearing up for some reloading and range time in preparation, and time is running short. Once everything is buttoned up, geared up and we're ready for winter I'll have more time on my hands then I'll be casting and coating some bullets for the first time, got everything I need to drop bullets, well except time.

Cheers
    Be careful what you wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    Crimp backed entirely off?
    Asked but not answered so far........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123