RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 straight

Boolit Master
    Wayne and Charlie Dell were quite a pair in the Schuetzen wars twenty-five years ago. Their book should be required reading for single shot fans. Wayne fit DST's to a #1 for me about that time. I thought it was the ultimate, until Dean Miller built me one of his rifles for a short 32. Dean had the 1.52"+/- Miller case design. I won a Coors Regional in Tacoma, and was writing for Precision shooting Magazine at the time. When Dean and Cyle and I visited at the Nats in Golden, I convinced him to cut 1/4th of an inch off of that design. I had a credit with Keith Francis/JGS for a set of reamers, and Dean agreed to built me a rifle. That case, the 32 Miller Short has won nearly every Regional and the Nationals since.

Good times at the Scheutzenfests...

Rich

Rich that was a nice write up on the 32 Miller short !!

OL Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Mold
    8.15x46 would be a metric version of a straight 30-30

I don't see why you can't make a new chamber, Short ream it and come up with a easy 30-30 straight..... Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by tds View Post
    8.15x46 would be a metric version of a straight 30-30
    This afternoon I did some testing and this is what I Discovered ..........If you remove the decapper from the sizing die and re set it down to meet the shell
    holder ! and do a full length size on the 32-40 brass ..........a Jacketed 308 will not slide into the 32-40 case!!! also I had a cast GC boolit sized to 309 !
    the gas check slipped in but not the main body .........By doing this you could build a new chamber and use a 32-40 ream to recut a chamber for your 30-30
    barrel !!!As far as loading 32-40 dies with crimp !!!! ya kinda end up with a 30 straight, or a 30x2.125, or a 30-40 WC.....
    Going one step farther ......a 32-20 Single shot rechambered you could have a "32-40" light or close range, or maybe use the Metric designation ??

This is how I spent my afternoon !

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 09-09-2017 at 11:31 PM.

I'm thinking I should do this !! I've got a barrel,just need the ream! Ol Deuce

I have a .28-30 Stevens cartrdge. It might straighten out to .30 if the taper was removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

You might ponder the .30-30 Wesson as a starting point. 14th ed of Cartridges of the World says it was likely an 1880's development and that you could PROBABLY make cases out of .357 Maximum brass. Case length claims to be 1.66", so it's a good bit shorter than the .32-40 Ballard/Winchester, but it's got the same general gentle taper to it. Stated spec was 165 grains at 1,250 fps using 30 grains of black in period guns.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    You might ponder the .30-30 Wesson as a starting point. 14th ed of Cartridges of the World says it was likely an 1880's development and that you could PROBABLY make cases out of .357 Maximum brass. Case length claims to be 1.66", so it's a good bit shorter than the .32-40 Ballard/Winchester, but it's got the same general gentle taper to it. Stated spec was 165 grains at 1,250 fps using 30 grains of black in period guns.
    WoW.....BigSlug....thats good to know !!!! Ol Deuce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12