RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: shooting/making 30-20

shooting/making 30-20

been looking at the 30 carbine and the 32-20 into one 30-20 ....

the 32-20 case is what I want to end up with but in a 30-20 !!! The 30 carbine is the size down to the black line! My thought was
    to open up and neck it to 30 cal using the 30 carbine sizing die!!! than fire form and use the 30 carbine bullet seater to put it all together!

What do you think?? Oh Ya I'm going to make a auxiliary chamber to work with my 30-30 single shot !!

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 08-31-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Case neck wall thickness of .30 Carbine is thicker than .32-20, so if you neck down .32-20 brass in a .30 Carbine die you actually reduce the neck diameter less than you would in modern .32-20 dies. I use a .30 Carbine sizer if I want to size necks less to avoid over-working them when mouth expanding to .3125" to load .314" bullets for my S&W 1905 .32-20 Hand Ejector. RCBS .32-20 Cowboy dies reduce the necks of Starline brass tightly enough to hold .308" bullets, if you don't expand the necks, and the expander plug is .310", which is correct for .312" bullets, but leaves case necks too tight to load dead-soft .314" bullets without damaging them. Both my Colt and S&W .32-20 revolvers made before 1920 have .314" cylinder throats and like larger bullets.

Only drawback I see in using .30 Carbine sizer is that case is no longer a bottleneck, but a straight taper with cylindrical neck, so in repeated reloads shoulder region gets worked more than it needs to be.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold

shooting/making 30-20

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    been looking at the 30 carbine and the 32-20 into one 30-20 ....

the 32-20 case is what I want to end up with but in a 30-20 !!! The 30 carbine is the size down to the black line! My thought was
    to open up and neck it to 30 cal using the 30 carbine sizing die!!! than fire form and use the 30 carbine bullet seater to put it all together!

What do you think?? Oh Ya I'm going to make a auxiliary chamber to work with my 30-30 single shot !!

Ol Deuce
    I do think you have just described the 30 Badger.

S.E.G. ................Wow thats cool are you familiar with that Wild Cat??? Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    And it uses common 38special cases, and 7.65x25 dies from Lee. I do agree that 5or6 gr of red dot in a 30wcf case is easier and probably will be more accurate. But then, might not be as rewarding as building the chamber adapter,, experiments are fun!
    I built a 26 inch 30special barrel for my TCR86 ,just for that reason. Same concept as badger.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

If you don't want to remove fired brass with a stick, you're going to have to devise a way to extract the rimless (.30 Carbine) case, as the .32-20 is a rimmed case.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

If you don't want to remove fired brass with a stick, you're going to have to devise a way to extract the rimless (.30 Carbine) case, as the .32-20 is a rimmed case.

My end result will be with the rimmed case! I've never fired a round from a auxiliary chamber ! this will be a new experience !!! Ol Deuce

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    S.E.G. ................Wow thats cool are you familiar with that Wild Cat??? Ol Deuce
    Yes I have a H&R 158 Topper that I stubbed and chambered in 30 Badger.

I'm shooting the Lee 115gr GC Soup Can behind 11.5gr of W296. I got to say it's a neat little round.

Quote Originally Posted by S.E.G View Post
    Yes I have a H&R 158 Topper that I stubbed and chambered in 30 Badger.

I'm shooting the Lee 115gr GC Soup Can behind 11.5gr of W296. I got to say it's a neat little round.
    S.E.G. ......That 30 Badger is a little guy with a big bang!!! Ol Deuce

Get a 32-20 TC Contender barrel. It's a 308 caliber.

Moderator Emeritus

The badger is within one tenth grain capacity of the 32-20, made in one pass with a 30 Mauser die on a 38 special case. It shoots well with 1.5 gr of powder or runs hard with H110. Whats not to like?.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The badger is within one tenth grain capacity of the 32-20, made in one pass with a 30 Mauser die on a 38 special case. It shoots well with 1.5 gr of powder or runs hard with H110. Whats not to like?.
    MT, Gianni I'v got a lot of studying to do before I spend any serious cash LoL these little cartridges really intrigue me !! Way Cool !! Ol Deuce

Today I got those $5.00 30 carbine dies ! Hmmm not bad at all ! It is missing the boolit crown which I can make ! What can you get for 5 bucks
    today and a gun tool to boot LoL

Ol Deuce

With all the good In-put The best thing I can do is lite-load my 30-30 just for fun and keep it a 50 to 100yd target shooter!!! The Contender must
    have smarter rounds fired through it Barrels LoL We'll See !! What ya think ???

Ol Deuce

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Light loads in .30-30 case work well most of the time.

Try about 4 grains of any fast-burning pistol or shotgun powder, Bullseye, 700-X, Red Dot, TiteGroup, 231, etc.

Easier if you start on the low end and work up to best grouping, then you don't need top deal with scrubbing lead out of barrel, but bore will be nicely conditioned. In my .30-30s I usually find the "sweet" spot around 5-6 grains of Bullseye, but with the lighter bullets start WELL below that to approximate .32-20 country (900-1200 fps) and not .327 Federal country (1400+)...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Light loads in .30-30 case work well most of the time.

Try about 4 grains of any fast-burning pistol or shotgun powder, Bullseye, 700-X, Red Dot, TiteGroup, 231, etc.

Easier if you start on the low end and work up to best grouping, then you don't need top deal with scrubbing lead out of barrel, but bore will be nicely conditioned. In my .30-30s I usually find the "sweet" spot around 5-6 grains of Bullseye, but with the lighter bullets start WELL below that to approximate .32-20 country (900-1200 fps) and not .327 Federal country (1400+)...
    That sounds good I've got tons of 700X /////\\\\\ Thanks for your support!!!! Ol Deuce