Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: C.Sharps

Boolit Mold

C.Sharps

Hi,a guy at work has a C.Sharps 1874 sporting model in 45-100 he is looking to sell.It has a DAR barrel in 34 inches.Me being a newbie at this was wondering what exactly is a DAR barrel and what would be a reasonable price for this? Thanks

Boolit Master
    Could that be DARR?. If I remember right he is/was an excellent barrel maker. Google Barry Darr. Frank

Boolit Master
    Measure the twist rate. For sure! If it is less than 18" twist, then it would not be worth much to me. The chamberong is not super desirable either in my opinion, though I own one.

I don't know what DAR means. MighT be the initials of a gunsmith that rebarreled it, assuming that it's not original to the rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with BrentD.....45-100 is not efficient and unnecessary recoil. If new at this, .45-70 should be max, even lighter may be preferred.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If it doesn't have the Old Reliable stamp on the top barrel flat, it's likely been rebarreled. Then the question is by who, and what barrel did they use, and did they rechamber it properly , or use a vice grip to turn a rental reamer jammed into the back of the barrel... Would need some more info to give an decent value on the rifle. But in the meantime you can go to CSA's web site and see what a brand new rifle in the same configuration would cost and judge for yourself what the value of this rifle would be.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Also ask your self why is it for sale

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I think it all depends on what the asking price is. Then take it from there. Any C Sharps rifle is worth consideration.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Banned

too much horsepower and shoulder punishment, no thanx. hard to beat the .45-2.1 cartridge ... specially for a newbie.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a C SHarps Hepburn in 45-90 with the 34" barrel rifle weighs 12Lbs and a shilouette match is a long day with the heavier bullets. Depending on what you want to do with the rifle is the extra recoil justified and then is the extra powder and lead needed? 45-70 brass is reasonable priced and fairly available these longer case 45-90 2.4" and 45-100 2.6? cases arnt as available and are more costly. The 45-100 with a normall charge is around 80 rounds per 1 lb of powder. Twist rate of the barrel 1 - 16 0r 1-18 will probably shoot best with 480-550 grn bullets 1-20 will more than likely be 405-475 grn bullet.

Boolit Master
    If used for hunting primarily, with black powder, it is a good option...alot come on the market in these types of cals. due to recoil, mine is not bad because it is 15 lbs. My 50/90 recoils more and it is still the first rifle I go to for big game hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    If used for hunting primarily, with black powder, it is a good option...alot come on the market in these types of cals. due to recoil, mine is not bad because it is 15 lbs. My 50/90 recoils more and it is still the first rifle I go to for big game hunting.
    Ever notice when shooting at game...........you never feel the recoil?
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    I'd compare it against the value of a similarly configured rifle using the C. Sharps web site as a guide. You definitely want to know the twist, and a little bit about the chamber dimensions. You have to be a bit careful as some of the older guns built a couple of decades ago had long freebores. Depending on how it was done, and who did it, the results can be excellent or terrible. I'd want it to be a 1:18 or 1:16 twist.

The .45-100 may not be the best choice for a new guy, but I'd never say it's a bad choice for Creedmoor. I've seen Dave Gullo, Jimbo Terry, and Bryan Youngberg make them work very well.

One thing to consider when buying a used target rifle is the guy who is selling it. If a rifle is being sold by a guy who is still shooting in competition, you can bet it's not his most accurate rifle. I suspect that most who do sell the bigger chamberings do so due to recoil. The .45-100 can be pretty stout. I have one and it weighs 15 lbs so is not a problem in that regard.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    With a 34 inch barrel, if the twist is good and the quality of the barrel is good, it is not inconceivable to set that Barrel back. And then, of course, chamber it for something that's appropriate for whatever you want to do. however you also have to consider the outside Contour of the barrel whether there will be enough diameter to give a reasonable shoulder 4seating the barrel against the breech face. The threads on a sharks are pretty large and so the barrel needs to be of large-diameter near the bridge face. That is why many of them flare or have a Hartford collar Etc

Boolit Master
    That is an excellent point Brent. I have a highwall that was a .45-100 with a 34" barrel and is now a .45-70 with a 32" barrel.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Just make sure it is a gunsmith that knows how to deal with Sharps threads.