WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aluminum Cases ?

Boolit Bub
    Why fool with aluminum?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildphilhickup View Post
    The supplier recently stated to me that they have loaded ~10,000 of the aluminum cases with "only a handful of problems".

Huh? You got to be kidding me. A handful out of 10,000 is TOO MANY! Even ONE is TOO MANY!
    Loaded 10,000? He sounds like a man, who p of keen judgment, who picks his words carefully. It could get worse when he fires some.

There are aluminium alloys which are at least as tough as cartridge brass, but they are much more difficult to form. Just about any used for cartridge cases is liable to be soft. That may be combining with the primer pocket size to cause the problem. Someone must surely market a device, which doesn't sound as if it ought to be expensive, to crimp a primer in place like military rounds for automatic weapons. It could certainly be made, as could a device made from cheap pliers to reduce the pocket from the outside. I don't think it is likely to make these cases last like brass ones, but it should prevent dropped out primers.

Otherwise they should give good service for shotshells, which need to be low pressure, or in some sizes for bullet jackets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Loaded 10,000? He sounds like a man, who p of keen judgment, who picks his words carefully. It could get worse when he fires some.

There are aluminium alloys which are at least as tough as cartridge brass, but they are much more difficult to form. Just about any used for cartridge cases is liable to be soft. That may be combining with the primer pocket size to cause the problem. Someone must surely market a device, which doesn't sound as if it ought to be expensive, to crimp a primer in place like military rounds for automatic weapons. It could certainly be made, as could a device made from cheap pliers to reduce the pocket from the outside. I don't think it is likely to make these cases last like brass ones, but it should prevent dropped out primers.

Otherwise they should give good service for shotshells, which need to be low pressure, or in some sizes for bullet jackets.
    BIS...there are aluminums that are tempered and can be formed fairly easily.

6061-O
    6061-T4
    6061-T6, T651
    Good formability, weldability, corrosion resistance, & strength in the T-tempers, good general-purpose alloy used for a broad range of structural applications & welded assemblies, pipeline, marine applications, furniture, agricultural applications, aircraft's, architectural, building products, chemical equipment, electrical and electronic parts, fasteners, general sheet metal, recreation equipment, storage tanks

2024-O
    2024-T3, T4
    2024 -T351
    Alclad
    High strength structural applications, excellent machinability in T-temper, fair workability &corrosion resistance, alclad combines high strength and corrosion resistance, used in truck wheels, aircraft structures, automotive parts, fasteners, recreation equipment, screws & rivets

I'll say one thing, those aluminum cases aren't as soft as the aluminum LEE uses on their molds!!!

Boolit Bub
    I loaded RMR pulled cases for 9mm. I also used Titegroup and had some problems. I switched to GreenDot and all problems went away, the cases shot well with 500 rounds with no jams or problems of any kind. I'm now loading Unique with 120gr Lee TC as GreenDot has gotten pricey. My thought is that the small ball powder is leaking thru the primer hole and popping the primers, the large flake Alliant powders stay put. IMHO try different powders before you junk the cases. I love the RMR cases now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123