MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Cases ?

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried measuring case capacity in 9mm and there is considerable variation in various brands of brass. That variation is one of the reasons one should always start near the minimum powder amount recommended when reloading. Primers also have variations. Compare Rem, CCI, and S&B. I stopped using S&B because their primers are no the same size as the major brands. Those aluminum cases are good for ONE loading. Fortunately, scrap aluminum has a lot of value. You may be able to salvage some of your expense after shooting once.

Ed C

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Reloading manuals DO specify what make of brass they are using as construction of the cases can cause different results. At least that is the case with Hornady, Sierra, Speer, and Lyman reloading manuals. They identify the specific make of brass used for each cartridge.
    Absolutely!

Simply junk the 5k aluminum cases and chalk it up to a learning experience. Its not worth blowing your head off or blowing your gun up.

Boolit Bub
    I too have seen the warnings not to reload Federal Blazer aluminum cases. The berdan primers will discourage most but I did read of an intrepid reloader w/berdan reloading tools who did reload 1-X fired blazer aluminum cases ... and got some split cases for his efforts.

Try the lowest pressure load you can find and hope for the best.

I don't see why anybody's loading aluminum cases. I have two, 5 gal buckets of range pick-up 9mm cases and that's without even trying to scavenger brass off the ground...

Boolit Master
    OP bought the primed and unfired brass as pulldown components. I personally feel the company selling the brass is in trouble with Federal Cartridge for reselling that lot of brass. Probably scrapped by Federal for the same issue the OP is seeing. I would challenge the seller for my money back. Classes should be destroyed if this is the case! They can pay return shipping if they want them back, otherwise I would destroy them by any method I was comfortable with. I'm an engineer of Scottish descent, so you know where I'm coming from ☺

Now I do pickup some aluminum cases on occasion, 10mm and 45 Colt. They slip together to make a nice little container, and I "reload" them with a few fish hooks and splitshot. Keep them in all the trucks and packs for fishing
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Aluminum cases are good for easily identifiable squib loads. For that reason I do pick them up, although I wouldn't have need for a lot of them!

Boolit Buddy

I've been reloading some aluminum 9 mm Par cases. Some cases have a built-in internal shoulder. They are noticeably heavier than normally configured cases. Since there must be a substantial capacity difference between the two types I only reload the unshouldered variety.

Boolit Bub
    Lesson learned. I've had a few myself. Keep them, put a few unprimed cases in each soda/beer can and recycle for money in order to recoup you purchase. Or you can continue to disagree with 20+ posters and get back to us with what did work.

Ok new plan. Squirt super glue around the boxer?primers, load them up, and label them Hi Point Pistol Only!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Have you checked the brass length on the blown primer cases? It could be short, allowing excess headspace.

there is no way in this world I would load a aluminum case even if what we are talking about are new cases. I value my skin and guns more that a cheep case to reload. like many here have said scrap them and get you some brass that you will have no problems with . I have seen a colt python blow up on a range a number of years ago and it was not a pretty sight. one man spent a lot of time in the hospital the owner of the gun spent time in the hospital because of something stupid. don't be the stupid guy in this case not trying to cut anyone down but when it comes to reloading number one rule is SAFTY FIRST. if you see that you have a issue get rid of the problem. and learn from what you did . D Crockett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edctexas View Post
    Compare Rem, CCI, and S&B. I stopped using S&B because their primers are no the same size as the major brands.

Ed C
    Could you elaborate more on this? I have been using S&B exclusively since I got it on cheap discount and held the winchester/CCI primers as reserves. I have not noticed this with LPP or SPP, though different brass do have looser or tighter primer pockets.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    We certainly have an abundance of caution here. I love posts that ignore the op's question and proceed to take him to task for even daring to ask it.

I've tested Aluminum cases to failure and they're as strong as brass in my experience, at least on the first reload. Generally, they'll fail with a vertical case split.

What do we know?
    The event is repeatable "50% - 60%" of the time;
    The OP eliminated the gun (he tried several with the same results)"This occurs in all of my 9mm semi's.";
    The load has been vetted "I use Titegroup powder and I load by the book.";

What's left?
    Soft primer metal? Is the primer pocket swollen or the primer deformed.
    Are these typical aluminum cases? Is the base so soft that it stretches at low pressure? Try some other AL cases?
    Are the cases too long causing the ends to dig into the bullet creating over pressure? I don't think that's possible.

There is most certainly some logical reason this is happening. We just have to find it.

Faulty aluminum cases mixed in with good aluminum cases seems to be the reason. I've shot CCI Blazer aluminum ammo since it came out. When it was $4.99/50 I shot a LOT of it. Using Berdan primers for it is genius. That keeps the Majority from trying to reload it. CCI/Speer knew better from the start. I'm still amazed someone would purchase 5000 of a questionable product! Perhaps a sample of 50-100 would have been better in hindsight. Years ago I reloaded ten WOLF .45 ACP STEEL cases to failure with just below maximum loads. Four split on the third loading; only one case made it to five loadings; it is in my cartridge collection. Notice there are no aluminum case Rifle rounds- wonder why?

Boolit Bub
    Update:
    Federal finally got back to me.
    The ammunition was initially rejected as the primer pockets were out of spec. They would not elaborate.
    A small pistol primer measures 1.750"

The primer pockets in those cases that ejected the primer measure 1.770" - 1.780". I am not sure how they got the primers to "stick" in the first place. ? Maybe the primer pockets have some taper. ?

I tried seating a New primer in the aluminum cases that ejected the primer upon firing and those will not seat the primer. There is No friction, "interference feel", between the two.

Those cases that retained the primer after firing, I tested by seeing how much force it took to remove them. Almost nothing compared to a "fired" brass case. I then attempted to seat a New primer in those cases. It did take a noticeable force to seat a primer in those cases, but still easier than a brass case.

The supplier recently stated to me that they have loaded ~10,000 of the aluminum cases with "only a handful of problems".

Huh? You got to be kidding me. A handful out of 10,000 is TOO MANY! Even ONE is TOO MANY!

Maybe now I get a refund ?

Boolit Master
    Large companies generally do not approveof their scrap dealers selling their out of spec rejects for other than scrap metal. Can come back to bite the company. When we scrap a component it is crushed, no chance of reuse. Suspect Federal Cartridge is unhappy with the supplier you bought from, refund should be forthcoming, hopefully! Thanks for the update.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

So much for CCI still using Berdan primers.
    These say Herter's on the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If federal scrapped with tax deduction, somebody is in deep do-do.
    Whatever!

Not to put too fine a point on it, maybe the primer issue is why they were demilled and sold for scrap in the first place.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast