Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coating removed by Lee sizing die?

Boolit Mold
    I realize this thread is old but it appears closest to what I need due to not having Lee 6 cavity 9mm (.356) molds available at this time.
    I did find a 2 cavity if I am forced to go that way but I am able to find 6 cavity molds for 38/357's in stock that are supposed to drop a bullet at .358.
    After reading many other experiences, it appears that resizing to .357 gives the most accurate 9mm projectiles.
    So, I'd like to see if anyone has used a .358 Lee mold, resized to .357, powder coated and then resized to .357 again.
    Per the comments in this thread, I would polish the sizer opening a bit to be safe - resizing .001 shouldn't require too much pressure and resizing after PC should not ruin the PC.
    This would be my current plan and am just looking for more thoughts. Thanks

Banned
    stratrider,
    I don't recommend sizing before PC. You can down size PC'd boolit .003-.004 with no problem with 9mm alloy. I just got done sizing boolits 12*bhn .360 (after pc'd) down to .358, .3575, .357, .3565, .356 for a test I'm running.

Boolit Master

I have been sizing a passel of .360+ bullets down to .356 lately. Hard Lino to soft 20:1.

I agree with Jim. SIZE AFTER COATING!

Proper cured PC aint gonna come off. If anything its pushed "in" better!!!! I really notice with a matte or semi gloss. The sized area is shiny!!

Now, if a LEE product... About anything possible. Not being a hater its simple truth. I have and use the lee sizers too and I like them. BUT it is still a LEE. Look close and if ya have another taht works better compair them. Ya might return to lee. (Or just buy new)

You also might wantbto look at the NOE bullet sizing system. Once ya have the tool the bushings are cheaper than LEE and better quality.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

To add to this, I wonder if the PC is actually coming off, or does it just look like it?

I've sized some PC boolits and it kinda looks like the PC has come off when in fact its just slicked up(like you mentioned CW). The PC is still very much in tact.
    "Education is not the learning of facts, it is the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Think about it...

Boolit Master
    If I need to size then I do it before and after PC.

Cast, lube, size, clean with acetone, PC, size. This works for rifle as well as pistol.

And, yes, I have had lube come off when sizing down a lot. It is not from the sizing but from a bad sizing die or one that has accumulated debris.

I changed to NOE dies when I acquired more calibers. I like them a lot. Also, they can be opened up a bit if needed by chucking in a 1/2" drill and using a bit of very fine paper on a dowel (800grit or so).

Boolit Buddy
    My new try at PC. To rough of Lee sizer die? HF powder?

Lee 309 - 30 Carbine.

HF - Red

309 Lee sizer

Attachment 269451

Attachment 269452

Boolit Master

The "grey" is from the alum checks your using.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I only use sandpaper when I'm changing a lee push through to a new size....otherwise, I use valve lap compound on a polishing bit in my dremel. It makes as mirror smooth finish and nothing sticks to it. I even push unlubed through it without issues.

Your boolits look normal. Like cw said...it looks like aluminum from your checks...or...it could be lead if you ran any boolits through unlubed with a rough die.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    The "grey" is from the alum checks your using.
    You are right!

And I will polish the die...

Thanks

Boolit Master

I gave up on the Lee die for this reason. I was using them at .310 and peeling lead and PC. I just got the NOE adapter for Star and the correct inserts and problem solved.

Boolit Master
    I am another convert to the NOE system. I went to them so I could nose size bullets, but, I like the finish of their dies better than Lee's, and you can get just about any size you want most of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12