MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Low Temp PC (from ElvisAmmo)

Boolit Buddy

Low Temp PC (from ElvisAmmo)

Thoughts?

Notes: Trying to retain BHN when PC

Boolit Master
    I have tried it twice. The first time was with range scrap with added tin. When hammer tested the powder coat flaked off and I got leading when I shot the bullets. I tried another batch today with wheel weight alloy. The flaking was not as bad but when I rubbed the bullet with acetone the powdercoat came right off. Now,this is not enough testing to say yea or nay on the technique. Elvis says he has shot bullets and they were fine. I believe him. It could be that I am not getting the temp right or it could be something else. For now I am going to stick with the 400F for twenty minutes. Try it and see how it works for you. I did small batches of twenty five bullets. My oven was set at 250F and held that temp pretty well for the 13 minutes he recommends.Elvis has done a lot for the casting community and I am in no way speaking bad of him. I have nothing but respect for the guy. I mainly shoot handgun loads and have never really paid much attention to bhn. I am going to start testing and find out what the bhn is doing.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I like a lot of his videos but I rather bake to factory specs.

Boolit Master
    I put mine in a preheated oven for twenty minutes. As soon as I shut the door the timer starts. The powders I have which were gave to me by a powder coat guy I know are 10 minutes at 400F. The factory says to wait until the part or bullets in this case heat up to 400F and then start the timer. When I do this sometimes they may be in the oven for thirty minutes.
    So far the twenty minutes at 400F has worked for me. Bullets pass the hammer test and no leading. I will do batches of 200 to 250. Using the shake and bake method,no asbb's. I bought a sterlite ultra seal at the dollar store for four bucks. It has the #5 on the bottom and it is clear so you can see what is going on inside. It has four latches on and a gasket seal on the lid. So far it has worked really well. Two hundred bullets can get heavy when your swirling but so far it takes about thirty seconds to a minute. I am sure that a lot if not all is due to using good powders.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    OS OK beat me by an hour to this post. i did check before posting... will let this one die

Clear coat powders are lower temp at 325 degrees F, but for twenty minutes.