RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirring the pot

Stirring the pot

Curious what you all use to stir your bottom melt pot. I use a old butter knife that I flattened the end on so I could scrape the bottom..I believe it's stainless steel, chrome plated whatever. Could this be causing me any issues in my melt. I can't seem to get my PB as clean as I'd like it..Always some black fine stuff coming to the top. When I smelted I thought I did a good job cleaning it. I also use paraffin or beeswax to flux my bottom pout and let a layer of melted wax stay on the top.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I can't see the knife itself causing an issue because there is such a wide disparity between the melting points of your melt and the knife. Was your pot clean before you started melting? Starting with a clean pot would mean your are only removing impurities from the alloy.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Clean the heck out of that pot when it's empty...if you get the fines on top after that, then you know it's the Pb.

Don't think it's much of a worry though...I get the same, a few black fines, as if you put a pinch of black salt in...they never show up on the outside of any casts so I don't think they get out the bottom spout.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Vendor Sponsor

I use a cheap Lee ladle
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Clean the heck out of that pot when it's empty...if you get the fines on top after that, then you know it's the Pb.

Don't think it's much of a worry though...I get the same, a few black fines, as if you put a pinch of black salt in...they never show up on the outside of any casts so I don't think they get out the bottom spout.
    I just did a batch and kept cleaning the dross off the top..Then sawdust! I think thats much better. I need to do a better job smelting I think

Boolit Grand Master

I use an old kitchen spoon, held with a pair of pliers. I stir and scrape the sides and bottom really good. When I'm smelting, I use a bigger kitchen spoon and again stir and scrape, stir and scrape. You may need to be more aggressive with the stirring and fluxing while smelting. A while back I grabbed a dust mask, turned my shop fan on where I was up wind, sprayed my smelting pot interior with oil and got after it with a cup brush and grinder. It seemed to help.

I drained the pot and it was pretty clean..I did however start using sawdust and stir more vigorously lot cleaner boolits now.

I always thought the sawdust would end up on the bottom for some reason..Heck, being a cabinet maker I have tons of the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I drained the pot and it was pretty clean..I did however start using sawdust and stir more vigorously lot cleaner boolits now.

I always thought the sawdust would end up on the bottom for some reason..Heck, being a cabinet maker I have tons of the stuff
    I remember a cabinet maker somewhere that was going to make a stand for his two pots...I wonder if he did? I wonder where the pictures of his skilled handiwork are?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I remember a cabinet maker somewhere that was going to make a stand for his two pots...I wonder if he did? I wonder where the pictures of his skilled handiwork are?

Bahahahaha

Yea, was gonna do it at lunch Friday but we were pretty busy. Hey, I have a full blown shop in the garage...So it will still happen. Bad thing is my Honey will see me cutting wood and all of a sudden have a new project for me.,...LOL

Boolit Master
    I use an old stainless steel spoon that didn't match anything else in the kitchen.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I use flat bottomed, wood paint stir sticks to scrape sides and bottom.
    As they burn and char into round edges, I cut them square again.

Boolit Bub
    I have a wife that constantly reorganized or changes things out. Therefore, my storage area in the basement had plenty of old cookware that she wanted brought to the dump. Instead I repurposed a few pieces. I use a large heavy serving spoon. It looks like a bigger version of your everyday spoon. It's stainless and I use it to scrape and stir. Works great and have yet to have any issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    I have a wife that constantly reorganized or changes things out. Therefore, my storage area in the basement had plenty of old cookware that she wanted brought to the dump. Instead I repurposed a few pieces. I use a large heavy serving spoon. It looks like a bigger version of your everyday spoon. It's stainless and I use it to scrape and stir. Works great and have yet to have any issues with it.
    Semper Fi Jarhead0321....0311 here long time ago. Yea, My Wife is always reorganizing me..I can never find anything.

Boolit Buddy
    I scrape the bottom of the pot with a hacksaw blade. Heated it up with a torch before bending it into an L shape.

I use a stainless, vented spoon from Wal-Mart. On the advice of a member here, I took a Dremel tool and made some slots on one side. That lets the molten lead pass right through.

I generally scrape the sides before a casting session with it. I don't think some of the crud on the walls matters as much as it bugs me!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I use the bigger wooden commercial paint stir sticks to stir, fluxes at the same time.

Boolit Mold
    I use an old flat edge screwdriver. The plastic handle means it never gets too hot to hold, and it provides a very secure grip.

the best thing I have found to scrape the pot is a hack sew blade with a 90 deg. about 1 1/2 inch long bent in the end or it does a great job of keeping the crud out of the pot D Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use the bigger wooden commercial paint stir sticks to stir, fluxes at the same time.
    Yep, free for the asking at the big box stores, small ones for the pot and big ones for smelting

Old putty knife & slotted SS spoon from WW.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast