RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Say NO to OREO! HYDROX is BACK! Made In USA!

Vendor Sponsor

Just Say NO to OREO! HYDROX is BACK! Made In USA!

I was very disappointed in Nabisco's decision to move the production of OREO cookies from Chicago where they had been made for over 100 years, to Mexico, closing out 600 American jobs from people that had worked for them for decades. I personally will NEVER bring an OREO cookie product to my lips again so long as I live.

Now, a private interest has bought the secrets of the beloved HYDROX creme sandwich cookie from the powers that be at Kellogg, and they are just beginning to be back on the market again. They aren't 100% the same great cookie we all loved, but the originals were chocked full of trans fats and other unhealthy things so the reborn Hydrox is much healthier, and tastes GREAT!!

Here is an interesting Podcast detailing the purchase and rebirth of this American classic, worth a listen: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...x-resurrection

Get them at Kroger stores and other retailers...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    And am I correct that unlike the "Oreo" the Hydrox cookie is not a racist epithet...

SO we can actually speak the name without having to wear a white sheet?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Hydrox is an American classic? They were terrible and a poor imitation of an Oreo. I respect someone's decision to not purchase Oreos anymore. But Hydrox were never good.

Vendor Sponsor

Glad they didn't name them creme sandwich crackers huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    But Hydrox were never good.
    Actually I preferred Oreo over Hydrox but the chocolate in a Hydrox cookie was a little darker and a little more pronounced than in the Oreo. The cocoa flavor hung on the back of your tongue longer, I do remember that about the old ones.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    It's still a black/white/black cookie so probably still racist. Infact it's probably more racist now that they are competing with the Mexicans.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Just Say NO to OREO! HYDROX is BACK! Made In USA!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Actually I preferred Oreo over Hydrox but the chocolate in a Hydrox cookie was a little darker and a little more pronounced than in the Oreo. The cocoa flavor hung on the back of your tongue longer, I do remember that about the old ones.
    Obviously taste is different from person to person. Hydrox was equated to knock off cereals when I was growing up. None of the knock offs tasted as good as the originals. My parents tried to save money any which way they could while I was growing up. Knock off cereals and Hydrox weren't on the list of ways to do it

I'm not a fan of Oreos to begin w/. The only time I will eat them is when in a DQ Blizzard. Most of the cookies and cream ice creams around here don't use Oreos.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I was very disappointed in Nabisco's decision to move the production of OREO cookies from Chicago where they had been made for over 100 years, to Mexico, closing out 600 American jobs from people that had worked for them for decades. I personally will NEVER bring an OREO cookie product to my lips again so long as I live.

Now, a private interest has bought the secrets of the beloved HYDROX creme sandwich cookie from the powers that be at Kellogg, and they are just beginning to be back on the market again. They aren't 100% the same great cookie we all loved, but the originals were chocked full of trans fats and other unhealthy things so the reborn Hydrox is much healthier, and tastes GREAT!!
    I'm gettin' really sick and tired of these 'great' tasting reformulations.
    If you're eatin' pre-packaged cookies from the 'cookies and chips' aisle at the grocery store, I'm bettin' your waistline or cholesterol levels aren't real high priorities for ya.
    Like makin' the burgers and fries taste like soggy microwaved tofu at McDogfood just in the alleged interest that it will be *better for you*.

Chaps my back side.

Banned
    People need to stand up and let these companies know that if they move production facilities to Mexico their products will not be purchased. Frankly the quality of the Oreo has gone down hill since the cookie got thinner and simply doesn't taste as good. I don't partake in cookies very often but when I do I want an AMERICAN fricken cookie not an olay.

Boolit Master

It adds up...Buy Hydrox!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I'll give em a try, I like most cookies I've met ;D
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I always preferred the old Hydrox over the Oreo...Oreo was just too sweet? I'm happy to give them a try.

Boolit Master

OK, but aren't the Double-Stuff still made in the US? Huh? PLEASE TELL ME IT'S TRUE!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Clorox cookies sound so appetizing, Not.

Explain Chicago vs Mexico?

Boolit Master
    I dont want no Mexican cookie.

Boolit Buddy
    I preferred Hydrox to Oreos. I'll give them a try.

Now... If Kraft would bring back the ORIGINAL formula Miracle Whip!!

Boolit Master

There used to be some fig bars that were really good. Not the dry fig newtons with no filling. Anybody know if they're still around somewhere?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

We quit eating OREO's in our household months ago when we heard they were shipping production equipment and jobs to Mexico. Time we stop outsourcing US Jobs to other countries, and placing US workers on the "Dole" instead of productive work. Not sure I'll go looking for a Hydrox Cookie, but I hope the pallet of Oreo's I saw in Costco last week go stale for lack of interest by customers.

I remember the TV adds several decades ago where the workers were singing "Look for the Union Label,...... ". Never have been a "Union Man"; nothing against those who who choose to belong to uNions, it's just not for me; but... WE HAVE TO STOP SENDING OUR JOBS AND US WEALTH OVERSEAS, while we keep the debt and grow WELFARE RECIPIENTS here in the US.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    If you're eatin' pre-packaged cookies from the 'cookies and chips' aisle at the grocery store, I'm bettin' your waistline or cholesterol levels aren't real high priorities for ya.
    It's an infrequent thing. 6' and 180ish here so not really any excess baggage, cholesterol could be lower but I used to eat really healthy, no fatty meat, lots of fish and veggies, no cookies or donuts or ice cream, then I got cancer and I am like what's the point? So F it, I eat what I want to now..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Hydrox is an American classic? They were terrible and a poor imitation of an Oreo. I respect someone's decision to not purchase Oreos anymore. But Hydrox were never good.
    I understand that Hydrox were actually there first. However, as a kid, Oreos were amazing and Hydrox always tasted disgusting.

It's been a long time since I've bought Oreos, and it's been decades since I tasted a Hydrox. If I cheat on the diet and have cookies I'll try to remember to try Hydrox and see if they've improved.

As far as imports go, I prefer the Hencho en Mexico Coca Colas with real sugar over the HFCS domestic Cokes when I do break down and have one.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    There used to be some fig bars that were really good. Not the dry fig newtons with no filling. Anybody know if they're still around somewhere?
    I had the same yen a few years ago and bought a box of Fig Newtons. Promptly tossed most of them. Nasty.

Got on the net and found a feller with the same idea who had done serious research on locating the best modern fig cookie. He recommended the Target brand ones. So, I tried some and agreed with him. They were as good as the Fig Newtons of my youth. Haven't bought any in years, but it's one place to start.

Hold on, I see you are asking about fig bars, not cookies. Sorry, no experience with those.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast