RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced 44 magnum loads?

Boolit Grand Master
    Just for grins, I loaded up a dozen or so Starline 44 mag cases with 9.4 grains of Power Pistol, WLP Primers and 429-421 boolits cast hard and sized .431.
    12 shots don't tell you all there is to be said, especially at 50 feet, but my initial experiment looks pretty promising. I need to load up some more and get out to the outdoor range where I can do some shooting at a longer distance.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I hate to go against all the experts but I would go with Trail Boss and eliminate any chance of multiple charges in the big cases.
    I always visually check (with small flashlight) all load levels in every case in my charging block before moving on to the next step. This is good practice.
    1 Corinthians 15:33
    Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Boolit Buddy

Don't hesitate to load your .44 Magnum down to .45 Colt, or even .41 Colt levels. Wrist breaking, fire breathing, full house .44 loads are fine for hunting, but a PITA for anything else. Lighter loads in the 850 fps range will transform your pistol, and enhance your enjoyment. I load a light 180 grain wadcutter.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    When I was using the .44 a lot I used 8.5 grains Unique and a 240 grain SWC in a magnum case . I'm sure Unique can deliver what you want from your lighter bullet with a small charge adjustment .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    The older I get the less I see a need for a full 44 mag load,at least where I live. I am beginning to believe that a 44 special load is just about right. Much more enjoyable to shoot for sure. I don't use unique but only for the fact that when I had a chance to get powder during the drought unique was unavailable. I was able to get some universal and have been happy with the results.

Moderator Emeritus

6.5 gr Red Dot with a 240-260 gr bullet is my plinking load in a 44 Magnum. It shoots well and gives me all I need to punch paper with.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

6.5gr in a 45 colt and a 300-340gr bullet equals a full fun day smashing things and shooting thru things you never thought a 45 could penetrate.it is a favorite load for my 45,44and even the 480

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppaclutch View Post
    I always visually check (with small flashlight) all load levels in every case in my charging block before moving on to the next step. This is good practice.
    Good advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12