MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: making your Star/Magma setup easy

Banned

making your Star/Magma setup easy

Just to set the stage I have multiple Star and Magma bullet sizer lubricators to service my needs. One of my setups did 45caliber only. Thanks to some measuring and pencil pushing I can now change from 44 magnum to 45acp to 45LC in a few minutes with NO punch adjustment needed. Years ago I had lathesmith (Chris) start making my punches and sizing dies to my specific needs. With proper measurement one can size and lube most 45 cal bullets (in my case all) without any punch adjustments. I change and do 45acp and 45LC bullets simply by changing bullets that I am going to size and lube. Now I can simply pull off the bullet feeder drop the air line to the air cylinder and pull out the sizing die and replace it with a new one in 44caliber along with the 44 punch and re-install the feeder. Now, I simply leave in the 44 cal punch and simply change the sizing die. So to recap I simply drop the bullet feeder and change the sizing die and re-install the bullet feeder. I keep the 44 cal punch with Chris's lock ring with the neat set screw in place. For those that don't dedicate one machine to a specific caliber will find that the lock ring with the set screw is a key to easy no mess setups and yes I could part with several sizers simply by purchasing more lock rings with set screws.

The sizing dies like I mentioned are specific to what I am sizing. In other words if I have a bullet with a single lube groove then I have a sizing die made instead of opting for a sizing die with rows of holes in different locations that I have to plug what I'm not using. If I have a sizing die with two rows of lube holes it will be for a specific bullet. I happen to have a sizing die for the 452460 with has two lube grooves in it.

Punches... my personal experence seems to indicate that I can use for example a punch for the 44 mag on both the 44mag and the 45acp/45LC without any problems. In the case of my 9mm/38/357 sizing I had Chris make me a two piece brass punch years ago that I tweek a touch between the different bullets that I size.

Lock rings for the punches...... Since I have a bullet feeder I communicate this with Chris and I get a lock ring that Chris makes for use with bullet feeders. The lock rings with the set screw are THE ONLY WAY TO GO. Once one gets the setup correct you simply tighten down the set screw.

Now, what I have mentioned is my experiences here so please don't fault me. I would like to mention that when one purchases a sizer lubricator either Star or Magma one needs to get their sizing dies,punches, and lock rings from Chris. Why you ask? Well, its simple. Chris makes his stuff from scratch and will custom make what you need and he has the experience to make it and it will be perfect. It simply makes no sense to purchase USED Star sizing dies simply because they say Star on them.

Banned
    Chris

Thanks so much for the latest care package that arrived at my mail box yesterday. Once again I love your work and your ability to deliver a quality product in a short time. The latest the 44 mag sizing die, punch, and lock ring with set screw does my 240gr SWC's and 210gr SWC's without any punch adjustment.

Banned

I pretty much do it the same way.
    some of my size dies only have one set of lube holes, but since I prefer single lube groove molds that isn't a problem.