MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty emotional day yesterday for the right reasons

Pretty emotional day yesterday for the right reasons

I'm an older man and the goings on these days can be something that triggers some not so pleasant emotions but yesterday I became almost a bit teary eyed. My Wife, Daughter and I were having lunch at a local cafe and there was a very elderly man in a wheel chair sitting by the door waiting for his aide to pay the bill. Sitting there quietly with his navy cap from WW2 with a few little pins and medals pinned on it...I was just excusing myself from my family to walk over and shake his hand and tell him how much I appreciated his sacrifice when his aide finished paying and got to him and they left...I've seen him before and maybe I'll get a chance to shake his hand another time...but my heart was touched by something that brings no protests, no yelling, no smoke bombs, etc....just a wonderful minute of being near someone that has given it all during a time the Country was not ripped apart like it is now.

The waitress is a friend and I asked if he came in regularly..she said every Thursday to meet with other POW's...we had not noticed but the special events room had probably 20 other men of various ages..all vets and all former POW's..just touched us as we enjoyed the freedom to sit in a cafe and have a meal. It all sort of brought me back to reality.

Boolit Master

You were in a room full of heroes. I would have been emotional too. May God bless every last one of them as they gather together.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

Thank you for posting this
    My dad is a WWII vet and it is emotional to see these men at the end of their lives, for me at least.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a special moment for sure. I hope you get to meet him someday.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Don't blame you for getting emotional - that generation is fast fading away and their sacrifices, both military and those who were civilians who worked in war production should never be forgotten.

So sad what is going on in this country - and those who are trying to tear this country down don't have a clue as to how much that gentleman, and the other POWs he meets with, have sacrificed so that they have the rights that they do in this country. May Goc bless him and those other fellow POWS as they know what the "cost" is.

Oh, I would have been just as emotional. It takes a high level of personal maturity to truly appreciate to your core, the sacrifices of others. Immature people of whatever age, are so wrapped up in their own stuff, they cant see the true importance of such heroes. Those that do appreciate them often weep out of gratitude.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

All vets are my heroes
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

The last time I was close to a POW, was a couple of senior sergeants when I joined the USAR. Most of the E7's and above in our unit was WWII vets, and at least 3 of them were POW's. Didn't think too much at the time, most of them are gone now, wished I'd have talked to them more when I had the chance. The same goes for the next gen of sergeants who were Korean war vets, including my dad. Didn't get some interesting war stories from the 3rd set of sergeants from the VN war.
    Rob

Banned
    To All,

IF you get to talk to a WWII or KOREAN vet & can get them to talk, PLEASE record their memories.
    (OVER 1,000 combat vets of that era are dying EVERY DAY.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Don't wait too long. The Greatest Generation and it's heroes are vanishing rapidly.

I'd show up next Thursday and pick up the bill for the whole bunch.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    Avery special thank you to all who have served. God bless America and her veterans.

Moderator Emeritus

opos thanks for sharing.....if you get a chance to thank them please do....I always try to .... but sometimes it just does not work out.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,

IF you get to talk to a WWII or KOREAN vet & can get them to talk, PLEASE record their memories.
    (OVER 1,000 combat vets of that era are dying EVERY DAY.)

yours, tex
    Being 80 myself I have had a lifetime of occasions to know many of the older (and now gone) veterans...a number in my family and my Aunt was a Gold Star Mother....I seem to recall that most of the folks I knew didn't talk much about their experiences except in very general terms...My late Father In Law was a survivor of Pearl Harbor and his discussions of that event were only if he had a bit too much to drink and even then it was not something he found much comfort in discussing it...

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    opos thanks for sharing.....if you get a chance to thank them please do....I always try to .... but sometimes it just does not work out.....Paul
    We know the owner of the cafe and my Wife and I asked if we could pick up their tab...she said "get in line" so I'd bet there are a number of folks that are stepping up...our name is on the list.

Boolit Buddy
    This site needs a like button!
    Thank you for the post!

Moderator Emeritus

Guys and experiences like this used to make me SO ashamed of my cynicism! There are SO many of great men like these all around us! We just never hear from or about them. Nothing for the media to do but praise them, and that doesn't sell papers or air time! But they're there, all the same, if and when we simply take the time to notice them. Ya' done good, Opus! REAL good, sir!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    This site needs a like button!
    Thank you for the post!
    I'll second that ideal hum. We're abouts is this cafe??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    opos,

A personal note to you: About 3 weeks ago I met an "interesting vet" at the check-out line of Ft Sam Houston Commissary. = I noticed that he was wearing a PEARL HARBOR SURVIVOR cap with a pair of GOLD Navy aviator wings.

interested, I asked him if he was a Navy "Gold Stripe Aviator". = He said "YES". & then said, "I think I'm the last one in this area."

I then asked him what he flew & he said, "Gooney Birds, in the CBI".

Finishing paying for our groceries, we shook hands, I wished him well & we both left the building.
    (I'm still "kicking myself" that I didn't ask him if I could record his memories as a WWII naval aviator.)

yours, tex

It would be great if you got few people in on a "Buy the Thursday VET crowd they're dinner " and surprise them with no bill after they're meal. just a thought.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Banned
    enfield,

That could get expensive really QUICK. = I meet for a biweekly breakfast with a group of Army/USAF retirees, which my lady calls: THE OF's CLUB.

Usually 35-40 of us.

yours, tex