RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Separating range scrap from clay pigeon parts

Boolit Bub

Separating range scrap from clay pigeon parts

Hope I picked the correct forum to post this in? Or that I'm not missing another thread with this info? I searched and couldn't find solid results.

I have been recovering range scrap from sand berms that have a lot of clay pigeon parts mixed in. Anyone have a simple method of separation? Smelting with the pigeon parts is problematic. It's smelly, smokey and very slow to cook off the flaming gooey pigeon material.

As a normal routine I haven't been washing range scrap. Maybe that is the solution? Some kind of wash or hosing to separate?

TIA
    Last edited by bwframe; 08-25-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    does it float in water?

Boolit Master

Not sure about the clay pieces but I wash a lot of range lead but then it usually sits in my garage for a month or more before I get around to melting it. On occasion it has gone right from the wash bucket to the melting pot but it's always a COLD pot and I heat with a low temp and a lid, never needed the lid but ya never know!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard about folks using water (with a lot of salt added to increase the specific gravity) to separate rubber tire pieces from the boolit ore. It may be worth trying a small scale test with saltwater to see if you can get the clay target pieces to float.
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

I tried the salt and it did not work for me. Maybe I did not add enough. I added 2 cups of rock salt to 1/2 of a 5 gal bucket. Rubber did not float. I use the rubber mulch in a box for a back stop. I find that putting it on a piece of plywood and moving it around and pulling the bullets out works for me. I don't think the clay will float.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried it, but maybe spreading it out on concrete and using a leaf blower will separate out the pigeon bits.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    I haven't tried it, but maybe spreading it out on concrete and using a leaf blower will separate out the pigeon bits.
    with this thought, if you threw it into a cement mixer, the lead would crush the clay down to sand and a shop vac would suck it up before it could lift the lead.

I tried several ways . And ended up picking out what I could and throwing it all in the pot . The last time I did it will be my last time . Not worth the mess to me .Marvin

Build a sluice box like the gold miners use. A trough with some 1x2's to trap the lead.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I would use some 3/4" angle iron upside down instead of 1X2"s , I think they might be a bit too big. just my opinion, ignore at will
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tips folks!

I really like the leaf blower idea. I was gonna wash with the hose and or pressure washer, but I'll try air first.

Boolit Master
    Any one keeping in mind the airborne dust hazards of lead shot and powdered targets? We all know that lead oxide is an easy way to ingest it, but does anyone know if the target residue brings another hazard to the project?

Boolit Master
    If the clays are black, then their is tar in them. If they are white, then no tar. The white ones are supposed to be epa and peta safe.\

Had a friend set up a piece of gutter on a slight down hill angle and set a turkey fryer under the rubble, the lead drained out into a bucket. Crude but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    If the clays are black, then their is tar in them. If they are white, then no tar. The white ones are supposed to be epa and peta safe.\
    i dont think peta condones the killing of any claypidgeons , there not even breeding in the wild anymore

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Any one keeping in mind the airborne dust hazards of lead shot and powdered targets? We all know that lead oxide is an easy way to ingest it, but does anyone know if the target residue brings another hazard to the project?
    This is a good point. Sounds like a good time to make sure to wear the respirator.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of them have a warning about using them where pigs are at. Not sure why or if the would harm other animals

Banned

the pigs will eat them.

you could separate the pieces with a short piece of ribbed drain tube [cut in half] and a hose.
    the lead will settle out and the lighter material will wash off.
    just run it into a wash tub, add the contents fairly slowly, and clean the lead out fairly often.
    this is an old gold cleaning method, it was/is called the poop tube method because the drain line used is generally for cleaning out holding tanks on RV's.

Vacuum cleaner with an exhaust attenuator?
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.